Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggestions needed to repair/replace lights

Hi all, what a fun forum. I am thoroughly enjoying looking at your Sunline photos and reading your suggestions and comments. A very helpful group!

Can anyone pass along suggestions to repair or replace the outside lights on my T1850? Photo below. I think I put the wrong bulb in and now I bought the #93 which is written on the metal plate. You can see the cracks on the lamp housing and I don't have the housing cover either. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Kit Frost

Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

SUN #2431
bdichristina is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Kit!

That is a standard porch/utility light, made by the Optronics Company. That one you have pictured looks like it has the on-board switch, which tells me its model #RVPL3C. You can get those most anywhere that sells automotive lighting for between $6 and $9.

We bought one to mount over the door of our "Happy Place II" when we replaced all the exterior lights. I was going to mount it over the door, but the door handle light that is there gives off way more light than I expected.

We also purchased an amber replacement lens to swap out on buggy nights. The lenses are made to snap in and out easily.

Here is a link to the light we bought:
RV Rectangular Porch and Utility Light with Switch - Clear Optronics Trailer Lights RVPL3C

We hope this is the information you are looking for!

2009 Jay Feather Sport 165 - "Little Bird"
Former: '03 Super Duty, '04 Suburban, '84 Sunline T-1750, '99 Sunline T-2553, '04 Terry Quantum AX6,
bdichristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
The original light is a PM (Peterson Manufacturing), which is a big supplier to the RV industry. Model number V384.

Deluxe Porch & Utility Lights, Surface Mount, 6-3/8"W x 3-1/2"H x 2-1/8"D, Colonial White Base, w/ Switch

They have versions with and without the switch, for depending on what you need. The two utility lights on the front and road side of your trailer have a switch (and clear lens), where the porch light by the door has no switch (because it has the one inside the door) and an amber lens to prevent bugs from coming around.

You do have to choose which model you want, with or without the switch, but each light comes with both the clear and amber lens, depending on where you want to put it.

It's common for these lights to go bad, but the sun does really destroy them. Most times the plastic expands, causing the lens to fall out. Also, people have a tendency to leave the porch lights (and sometimes utility lights) on all night, why I'll never know. But these bulbs are hot, and when encased in a plastic housing, they heat up and deform the plastic when left on for really long periods.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

SUN #4081
It's common for these lights to go bad, but the sun does really destroy them. Most times the plastic expands, causing the lens to fall out. Also, people have a tendency to leave the porch lights (and sometimes utility lights) on all night, why I'll never know. But these bulbs are hot, and when encased in a plastic housing, they heat up and deform the plastic when left on for really long periods.

Thanks Fan, I've replaced the bulbs in both of these light and they don't work, since they're mostly used for lighting the campsite and I'm not fond of too much light around I may not replace. MY main reason for repair is cosmetic.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

SUN #123
I hear ya. Even if it isn't used, it's a good idea to have it all sealed up. The light doesn't cost too much and it's relatively easy to change.

What you will need to do is go visit an RV dealer and ask for a little bit of putty tape. You don't need to buy a 25' roll, even though it doesn't cost much. The old tape behind the light will be really dry and cracked, so you should use fresh. Just stick it all around the new light on the back side before you press/screw it onto the sidewall. Just be aware, when you do tighten it down, the tape will ooze out around the edges. That's perfectly normal. Push the tape up tight to the edge (it'll be gapped a little in the valleys of the aluminum). Take something plastic, like a credit card, and outline the light to trim it. Keep the scraps and roll it up into a ball in your hand. That will give you a clean edge without damaging anything. If you see any gaps in the tape, take some off the ball you created and fill it in. Press it in with the plastic card if needed and re-trim.

The light itself is connected with two wires inside the trailer wall with wire nuts. Work the wires around to pull them out through the hole, one at a time. When you disconnect the wire nuts, there may be a little dab of silicone in the end of the nuts to prevent water from getting in those connections. It's a good idea to put some new silicone in there when you get the new light installed.

I agree, I rarely ever use the utility lights too, and even the porch light is rare. If I had the choice to order mine, I probably would have deleted them. The newer style, when on the front, likes to collect water when driving in the rain, so they're really a problem.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #6

SUN #4081
Nice step-by-step instructions. Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

SUN #4081
Well, Sunline fan, I often sleep with an eye covering because people seem to need lighting to feel safe??? Whatever the reason, addicted to light? I'd love the encourage RV users to cut down on lighting the night sky with their campers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
The original light is a PM (Peterson Manufacturing), which is a big supplier to the RV industry. Model number V384.

Deluxe Porch & Utility Lights, Surface Mount, 6-3/8"W x 3-1/2"H x 2-1/8"D, Colonial White Base, w/ Switch

They have versions with and without the switch, for depending on what you need. The two utility lights on the front and road side of your trailer have a switch (and clear lens), where the porch light by the door has no switch (because it has the one inside the door) and an amber lens to prevent bugs from coming around.

You do have to choose which model you want, with or without the switch, but each light comes with both the clear and amber lens, depending on where you want to put it.

It's common for these lights to go bad, but the sun does really destroy them. Most times the plastic expands, causing the lens to fall out. But these bulbs are hot, and when encased in a plastic housing, they heat up and deform the plastic when left on for really long periods.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokit View Post
Well, Sunline fan, I often sleep with an eye covering because people seem to need lighting to feel safe??? Whatever the reason, addicted to light? I'd love the encourage RV users to cut down on lighting the night sky with their campers.
I agree completely, it always seems to be the one right next to me with their awning up so the light shines right in the window all night. Drives me nuts.