Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #1

SUN #637
thesteigers
Suggestions for working on rubber roof

Hello,

My wife and I are soon off full timing in our Solaris T-2199 and as such we are finishing off some updates to make the trailer work well for us. One of the things I'm trying to get done is adding MaxxAir vents to the roof, but I realized this is going to require me to work from on the roof. I have tried to stay off the roof to keep from damaging the rubber, but realized that work like this and PM on the airconditioner and such will make getting up there a necessity.

Any suggestions for how to work up on the roof without damaging the rubber? I have considered just putting some plywood up there to spread the load across the roof joists, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a problem or a simpler way.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #2

SUN #149
nasa42a
Tom......

You've identified the best approach.

Use of plywood (I preferred 1/2" at minimum) is the method recommended (and used) by my dealer, and by myself on my past Sunlines. A Pair of 2.5 or 3' x 4' pieces is all you'll need for roof projects.

Of course, careful plywood placement and foot/knee placements are the needed final ingredients! (LOL)

Frank

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
In my 2453 the roof joists are 16" on center; yours probably are too. It's been suggested that a piece of plywood should be about 4 or 5 inches wider than the distance betweem the joists to make sure you're spreading the load evenly between at least 3 joists. I use a piece that is about 36" wide.

It's also been suggested that you place something soft between the plywood and the rubber so that there's no change of a sharp edge or splinter of puncturing the roof. I use an old piece of carpet that's a little bigger than my plywood.

When you do your Maxxairs, take a small square of plywood with you and use it to lay your tools on, especially the drill. Again, just making sure you don't accidentally puncture the rubber with that drill bit.

It's also a good idea to use a piece of duct tape or masking tape to pick up all the metal shavings from drilling the holes for the vent covers.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote