Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

SUN #5632
tim_NJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sprung a leak :(

So, somewhere between the last campground a week ago and home, I had a roof vent cover break (basically the square outline is there but there's no plastic over the vent). I didn't catch it when I got home. It rained this week, and of course my breaker box is right below (bunkhouse layout).

I'm getting no power to anywhere, not even the fan in the breaker box.

I put a household fan on it to make sure it's dry, and I'll try again in the AM.

Besides replacing all the fuses, any other recommendations? Electric isn't my strong suit. I do own a voltmeter but wouldn't know how to troubleshoot effectively.

2004 solaris T267SR. I'll go get the manufacturer/model of the fusebox and post that in a bit.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I may be able to help. I have a 2004 camper as well. Sunline used 2 different models of the American Enterprises power converter across the model year as American changed it during the year.

A CS6000 converter that looks like this. The builds dates of the camper would be late 2003 and very early 2004.

If your 2004 was built in say March to May 2004, it could have the next version a CS6000-XL Looks like this. I'm not exactly sure of the cut off dates only that a May date was the CS6000-XL

Which one is yours looking like?

Since you have no power, is this only the DC items, like the lights, water pump, fridge, hot water heater?

The microwave runs on 120 VAC and the roof AC unit needs 120 VAC to work (it also needs 12 VDC too)

Let me ask this, did you turn the battery disconnect switch on? It is out by the battery on the frame header. This will shut off all 12 VDC from the battery from powering up the camper.

If that is on and you have no 12 VDC then let us know that at it points to other problems.

Are you plugged into shore power yet? (120VAC) If so, does the microwave display work?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #3

SUN #5632
Hi John!

It's a CS6000, exactly like in your photo. The battery switch was set to on, and I get no power to anything, including microwave readout. Connected to shore power now. Confirmed the juice is getting through the extension cord.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

SUN #89
OK, this helps.

Before we go digging into the junction box on the front of the camper, lets try this to get the 12 VDC up and working.

Something is really not right if there is no 12 volts working even from the battery. The microwave panel should of at least lite up from the 120volts being on but will get to that after.

Lets try this. First, make sure the camper is dried out and there is no visible water on OR in the power converter. If you find any along the way, then stop! until it dries out

You said you checked all the fuses at the converter panel right? Yes/No?

Unplug the 120 VAC shower power. We can trouble shoot the 12 VDC side with it off at this point.

Set up your volt meter for DC volts. Check the battery voltage at the battery posts. If it is a digital meter, tell us the exact volts including the decimal point. Turn on the battery disconnect switch.

Next is at the power converter. If this is too much to do for your ability, stop and you will need to get a electrically friendly buddy to help. This procedure below assumes you have a basic working knowledge of 12 and 120 volt electricity and can take the necessary pre-cautions to be safe.

Take the face of the converter off.

The 2 silver head screws in this pic hold it on.

When the cover comes off it looks like this

Then put your meter on DC volts and place the meter test red lead on the big heavy red wire on the top of the fuse panel. The big red wire with the hex bolt in it and the 2 black wires also bolted to it. This is the battery hot wire

And place the meter black test lead on the large white wire with the hex bolt on the bottom of fuse panel. This is the battery ground, negative wire.

That big red and the big white are the 2 battery lead wires. If you have DC voltage at the battery, it should show up at the converter panel on those 2 wires. If it does not, then there is an issue out in the junction box on the front of the camper. Will get to that after if it is.

If you do have voltage at those big wires, then we need to go to the next step and figure out why the power is not getting to the fuses.

There is 2 big green 30 amp fuses on the top of the fuse panel. Pull them out and make sure they are not blown. If you had a short from the water, the would blow them quick. And if either of them are blown, that will now allow the DC volts to pass to anything in the camper. They are the 2 main DC fuses.

If the fuses are good, then the socket has some issues. With the fuse out you can test for voltage with the meter. Use the large white wire for DC neg and the fuse socket for the red test meter lead. You should get volts there if you had it at the big read wire. This is what the back of the fuse panel looks like. Just blades of metal.

Do not pull the fuse panel cover off with the battery still on. There is the capability of high current if you cross the + and -.

This should turn up something that is or is not working on where to go next.

Hope this helps

John

Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

SUN #5632
Thanks John! Left my voltage meter at my dad's, was trying to fix his dryer. D'oh! I'll update tonight or tomorrow, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

1 add'l question, I see there are different brands of roof vents. Are they a standard size? If not do you know what brand Sunline used in assembly?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #6

SUN #89
Your 2004 has the standard 14" x 14" roof vents.

Ah... a 2004... I have/had qty 3, 2004 Sunline campers.... It seems Sunline changed suppliers in the 2004 model year of the roof vents. And the metal flanges and the plastic domes rust real bad and the dome get real brittle real quick. The first camper we bought new and Sunline was still in business. In less then a year since new they where rusting and brown was running across the roof. I sent them pics of the issue and they sent me 3 new vents and the butyl tape and caulk to change them under warranty. The other 2 Sunnies... I have to change on my own dime.

I myself went with the Ventline brand. The last ones we bought now about a year ago where still good quality. http://www.ventline.com/

They sell them in many places, shop for price.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Enc..._content=Vents

https://www.amazon.com/Ventline-V209...e+rv+roof+vent

Here is a post on the 1st set replaced.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...pics-8922.html

Somethings I learned since then, to get butyl tape up off the rubber, warm it with the heat gun gently, using a plastic scrapper or a real dull metal one, scrape off as much as you can. Then use mineral spirits on a rag to rub off the rest down to clean rubber. Do not let it soak in excess mineral spirits it will affect the rubber. Once done with the mineral spirits wipe it off dry and use a high flash cleaner to get the oily film off from the mineral spirits. Like denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner or even home rubbing alcohol.

Hope this helps

John

Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

SUN #5632
John, can't thank you enough for stepping me through it. Pointing out the Mains into the converter was the trick! I was so upset about the water that I missed a damaged battery lead up front. All fixed now.

Thanks again, happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #8

SUN #5632
OK, that was premature. It seems all the DC things are working, but not the AC things. Roof lights, fridge, stove hood, slide motor are all working. Outlets, AC/fan are NOT working. I found 2 GFIs, 1 in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. Hitting reset didn't work, it didn't click, it seems there's no power to them. Are all AC things coming from the breakers?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #9

SUN #5632
OK, scratch that, everything is now fixed. Was never getting shore power. Bad 30A-->15A (household plug) step down cable. Borrowed a neighbor's to double check and everything came back to life.

Thanks again, also thanks for the vent replacement thread.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

SUN #89
Hi Tim,

Sounds like you now have everything back up and working again. AC & DC...

Thanks for reporting back.

Happy camping this season.

John