Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Springs

I have an appointment to get my struts replaced on my Explorer next week and am also getting the springs on my T-1350 redone.
Redone could mean one of two things. Either a new set or an added, replaced leaf.

When the trailer is hooked up to my Explorer the back end seems very low. I already have a drop-down draw-bar on my hitch. Also when I pull out of my driveway and onto the street the trailer hits bottom on the sidewalk. My trailer has those skid thingys at the back.
This work is being done at an actual spring shop. They do tractor trailers as well as cars and pickup trucks etc. and have been in business for years. They did a great job on our box trailer a few years ago.

Has anyone had experience between replacing both sets of springs and just adding a leaf?

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

SUN #6257
I think my question should be. Is it best to get replacement springs or is adding a leaf on each side "good enough"?

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJ View Post
I think my question should be. Is it best to get replacement springs or is adding a leaf on each side "good enough"?
I'd replace if it were me.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #4

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
What about an axle flip for the dragging issue and getting height?
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #5

SUN #6257
I kind of thought about that but then I'd still be dealing with weak springs. Not to mention I don't really want to change the geometry of the trailer. If anything ever happened and insurance company found out that the axle was flipped, it could result in void coverage or payment.
Actually I'll ask the spring shop and see what they think. They might agree with you LOL

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

SUN #5039
Jerry,

There are a number of threads on the forum about the flips. many did them. The insurance thing ???

Your TT is so old I'm not sure the flip would impact insurance. Who do you have insurance with, if I may ask? When I checked with my auto they said they don't do full coverage on anything over 10 yrs. old. I could get some for road assistance I believe it was....with less coverage at more money than Good Sam.

When the TT is attached to my truck, the truck insurance coverage is in effect, however, not for towing the TT in the event I needed such.
P3 break control
Old 07-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #7

SUN #6257
It's the same here in Canada. When it's attached to the tow vehicle it's the vehicle's insurance that covers it. When it's parked in our driveway it's under the house insurance. Our insurance company is Buckley's out of Toronto. I find that if there is anything that is not stock or something has been modified an insurance company will find any excuse not only to void coverage, but worse, not pay on a claim no matter how well things are done/built.
I realize my trailer is older (1985) so to get any collision coverage might be like pulling teeth. I'm not worried about that aspect.

My main concern is my public liability and property damage if it was my fault or the fault of the trailer and/or the hook-up (and in this case, any modification). After a while one gets toughened to the smaller fine print and I have heard of too many cases where John Doe was not covered because of this or that.
I guess I'm a little on the defensive for these issues. Hence is why when I'm restoring to trailer (as best I can) I want to keep everything, including suspension design all original.

That said I will contact my agent and get his view based on their policy

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

SUN #5039
I hear ya!
P3 break control
Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Approximately 3 years ago, I was faced with the same questions. I opted to change out the spring pack for an entirely new spring pack and upgrade the spring pack to the next higher carrying rating. Since your are in Ontario, if you want to check out comparative pricing on the parts you are quoted, I suggest you check out Cerka. Here is a link to there website:

Trailer Axles and Parts Canadian Online Store

Quote:
I kind of thought about that but then I'd still be dealing with weak springs. Not to mention I don't really want to change the geometry of the trailer. If anything ever happened and insurance company found out that the axle was flipped, it could result in void coverage or payment.
Actually I'll ask the spring shop and see what they think. They might agree with you LOL
When I did the spring pack I also swapped out axles and did the axle flip. I checked with my insurance company and they had no issues with it. I see you are dealing with your home and auto insurance company for coverage. Since you are in Canada, I would highly recommend you check our Wayfarer Insurance. They specialize in trailer insurance. I know a few people who have had awning claims with both a car/home insurance company and Wayfarer. The one with the car/home insurance company had to fight with the company to get the claim paid. The one with Wayfarer had no issue. In fact this happened on a 3 week trip our friends were on. They contacted Wayfarer and there first concern was if they were okay and if they needed alternative accommodations. Once Wayfarer was assured they were okay to continue using there trailer, they took down the information of the incident, then had our friends contact their dealer and tell them what they needed and had the dealer contact Wayfarer with the claim number they were provided and the cost to replace. Upon returning home the dealer had the awning waiting for them and they just had to take the trailer in and have it installed. I know Wayfarer maybe a little bit more expensive than your home/car insurance policy, but everyone I know who has had a claim with them, can't say enough about how well they were treated.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #10

SUN #6257
Thanks TB, I already sent to Wayfarer for a quote for my rates, although my company is hard to beat. That said let's see.

I'll still be asking the spring shop next week. Flipping the axle kind of reminded me of those off-road tent trailer we see every once in a while going up the 400 to Muskoka

This is getting a little off topic but check this link for the TOY of your choice. It goes on and on https://www.google.ca/search?q=off+r...w=1600&bih=686

Maybe for fun we can all check that link out and post YOUR favorite toy (copy and paste) under a new thread

Jerry & Debbie