Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

SUN #187
precorguy
Spring Sprung!

Picked the trailer up today from the storage lot - noticed that it is unlevel - something i had noticed while in Florida.

i looked at the springs and the crub side was uneven - so i jacked up the trailer and well guess what - the rear spring is broken.

we have a 2007 T-2553 -- does anyone know what type of springs are on this trailer?

and also - how difficult is it to change the spring - is it s do it yourself job?

we were hoping to go to camping this coming holiday weekend and well, not sure if we will be able to --- although only going about 1.5 hours from home and well i think it was broken in florida when we were there - so we have already travelled about 3,000 km on it so far, what a few more km!

axle flip, back up lights, awning support, sewer hose carrier, 12V ouside plug, hinged top LP cover
Upcoming: ensclose underbelly, TV mount?
precorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
A 2007 model, H'mm are they leaf springs or torision springs?

I do not know the exact springs on your TT but I can tell you how to find out what they are if they are leaf springs.

I have changed axles and had the leaf springs apart so I have been thru this. You will need the right tools to support the weight of the camper and a good place to work on it. Ideally hard surface and level.

How tool equiped are you?

Do you have any pics of the setup?

Have you had the TT weighed when loaded?

Glad to help best I can.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

SUN #187
precorguy
John:

thanks so much for the help - they are leaf springs - the trailer weight 4990 lbs (yes i had it weighed loaded including full tanks) --- however that being said, i was able to find a place here in London ON that is able to fix it before this weekend at a reasonable price --- which i am very grateful for!

thanks again!

alex

axle flip, back up lights, awning support, sewer hose carrier, 12V ouside plug, hinged top LP cover
Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

SUN #89
Alex

Good news. Great!!!

Riding around on a broken spring is not a good thing and glad you found someone to fix you up.

Where did your snap? Was it the main leaf or a smaller leaf?

You 4,990 # was that just the tires on the scale or including the tongue weight for a total camper weight? And where your WD bars on and engaged when you weighed it.

That number seems light for the entire GVW of a camper with full tanks. It may be just the axle weight. However there should be 7,000# worth of springs under all 4 axles. Unless you have one side of the camper over 3,500# a spring should not of let go. Unless it had a defect in it or the U bolts where loose.

Curious what your repair shop can shed on the break.

Good luck

John

Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #5

SUN #187
precorguy
I will have to check the scale certicate again - i weighed it 2 times in different positions - attached and unattached - tongue on same scale and tongue on separate scale ---- the number was what i could remember (at my age the memory may be bad).

here's our story - while in florida - we did, at one point, here a loud snapping noise while towing - however there was not much else to it - and after i looked at the trailer and seeing nothing - didn't really give it much thought.

slightly after that time - i noted that the trailer was a wee bit unlevel side to side - checked again and the shackle was out of alignment - but not having the tools, thought i'd leave it til we get home - as again didn't see any particular damage.

i will mention, just for the story, that both of us were really sick with a flu virus in florida so my review of the trailer was not as thorough as usual --- we did have an ok trip just the same.

when i got it home on sunday (after it was sitting in storage for a couple of months) and after giving it a good wash (roof and all) - i put it up on the jack - road side - to test the emergency brake switch - you know pull the pin, turn the wheel - see if it brakes --- well, one wheel came up the rear wheel did not and the spring was in two pieces ---- it was the larger long spring that has the bots attached to it.

in hind sight i believe we drove back from florida via the mountains with this broken spring - although it was still in one piece so likely just craked - i think it must have been a manufacturing deficiet - as the rest of the suspension is in good shape and i do check it out every now and again.

needless to say, i understood at that point while the trailer was leaning --- however i didn't understand why the brakes were not working - i hadn't mentioned that before - they were serviced in feb 10 before our trip and i thought the stops were long but attributed it to the weather.

one reason i checked the emergency switch was to try and determine if the braking issue was the trailer or the controller in the truck ---- needless to say, i think it is the trailer ---- upon inspecting the underside, i noted that there was a broken brake wire on the rear curb side - so i patched it --- to no effect.

i am having the brakes checked as well as the spring fixed at the same shop.

although i know these things happen - after spending a wee bit having the bearings repacked and brakes inspected/adjusted and a total recaulk of the outside --- i was not really looking forward to this additional expenses - oh well - just the way of it i guess.

sorry this post was so long!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #6

SUN #89
Thanks Alex. Good to have some of the blanks filled in.

Good luck

John