Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Specs on a 579 and 559 Dometic A/C running capacitor.

I need the specs on the running capacitor for my Dometic Brisk Air A/C. I think it is the 559 model but it could be the 579 model. I know I should have checked the specs on the capacitor when I had the cowl off...but I thought the fan motor was bad...turns out that it is most likely the running cap since it supplies the juice to start the fan and the fan motor starts up when I give the blade a push with my finger. Dometic doesn't give any info in it's manuals regarding the mfds. of the capacitors. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Drake,

Good to hear from you again.

Boy, finding the start capacitor PN off of a 1988 AC unit... Well, I have one off of a 2004 unit but that may not help you.

But this might. Find your entire roof unit part number. There is a lot more numbers then just the 579. There are lot of 579 AC units. This is the PPL Motorhomes parts catalog.

Go into the "Online Parts Catalog"
Then once in, "choose a category", "Pick Air Conditioners"
Then, pick "Duo Therm - Brisk Air"
Then find your 8 digit part number of the AC unit. There are part numbers and pics of some and the cost to buy them

There is also an exploded diagram there of all the parts. Click it and the item numbers are hot link too.

Duo Therm Parts for Air Conditioners for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

When I bought my new fan motor, I had to buy a new starting capacitor as the replacement motor had slightly different specs to it. The old one was no longer available.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

SUN #1340
Hey John...Thanks. It's good to be back...as George Burns used to say, "At my age it's good to be anywhere." It's also good to know that you are still taking the time to reply to idiots like me who need expert advice on anything Sunline.

Yes, I know I haven't given you much to go on here. The PN doesn't do me much good in my present dilemma. What I am really looking for is the microfarad rating of the running capacitor. In the Brisk Air, the starting capacitor only starts the compressor, not the fan, at least that's the way I read the wiring diagram. It is the Running cap, a big three terminal, dual capacitor, that kicks the fan motor into action. There are replacement caps available online for "Duro Therm" units, and the microfarad reading on them is 30/5.0. I am tempted to "bite" on one of them, take it up to the trailer next time out and install it as everything I read says that would be okay short term, get the microfarad reading off the old one and get the "right one" to install when I come back again.

What I was hoping, and this was a long shot, was that someone would have the info written down somewhere, or have a defunct 559 or 579 unit lying around for parts, or had replaced one recently, and could say, "Drake the capacitors are the same in both and the mfd rating is 30/5"....so much for wishing...at least, so far, eh?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Drake,

Well....now that I know what you are really looking for....

I might be able to help. I had a 579 13,500 BTU AC unit I had all apart. The fan armature froze up over the winter and I have a bunch of pics of that unit. Now this is on a 2004 camper built in May of 2004 I'm showing you. Not the vintage of your camper, so take that into account.

Here is the full model number

There is a story to the capacitor of this "original" fan motor. Here is the original. The "original" motor name tag.

The original motor on the right. My new one on the left. You can tell by the rust on the stator winding's the old one.

Here is the original motor capacitor. It was the 3 prong one I think you are referring to.

The name tag on the end

A close up

So there you have it. The original motor as called out on the motor needed a 5 micro farad capacitor.

But... the new motor needed a different size... So I had to get a different capacitor for the new motor.

The new motor tag. This one needs a 10 micro farad capacitor

Here is the new capacitor.

I ended up using the new capacitor and half the old one to make the whole thing work. They all fit in the box.

So, there you have it. One motor needed a 5 micro farad, the other a 10 micro farad.

Don't know if will help, but hope so.

John

Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
What I am really looking for is the microfarad rating of the running capacitor. In the Brisk Air, the starting capacitor only starts the compressor, not the fan, at least that's the way I read the wiring diagram. It is the Running cap, a big three terminal, dual capacitor, that kicks the fan motor into action.
Well, here see mine. Both the compressor and the fan need a capacitor. The compressor has an extra one which I think is what they refer to as a hard start capacitor and uses half of the 3 prong capacitor. This is why I needed to use half of the old one (the 3 prong) to start the compressor while using the new 10 Mfd for only the fan and abandoning the 5 Mfd in the 3 prong capacitor.

Hope this helps.

John

PS. Your older unit may not have the hard start capacitor. The black one in my pics which is rated 43-52 Mfd. Yours may only use half the 3 prong capacitor.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #6

SUN #1340
JohnB, you beauty you!!!! I can read the 30/5 mfd on the bottom of the 3 pronged run cap. Thank you....I'm going with that even though my '88 is a relic compared to your '04. Yes, as I read it, the compressor uses both caps ( running and starting) to operate but the fan motor uses only the 5 mfd portion of the running cap to get its "kick in" juice. The original accompanying "operating instructions" from Duo Therm which came with my trailer is for the 559 and the 579 models...so, I am hoping I'm correct in assuming that the capacitors are the same.

Thank you again for your trouble John B, and for your devotion to those of us who own these sometimes troublesome, but always enjoyable Sunlines...I can always depend on you!