Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

SUN #7632
BCS Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Soft spot in bathroom ceiling

So I found a small soft spot in the ceiling of my bathroom on the 1990. I say small, it is approximately 1 Sq ft. I already planned on re-sealing the roof this spring. What else should I do in the interior? I don't want to gut the whole thing for that small area. I will attempt to attach some pictures.

Also, what is the best product to deal the roof? On my 88 I was told to use"silver paint" is there something better?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #2

SUN #7632
BCS Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse the 2 posts, sent from my phone.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 03-09-2016, 05:22 AM   #3

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Water damage on a travel trailer is kind of like rust on an old car (two things I'm very familiar with). The evidence you see is only a small part of the damage behind it. Check the rubber roof and you'll probably find it to be soft above this area. If you seal the edges, you'll just be sealing in the moisture and any rotted wood inside, but if you don't seal it, more water will get in and continue the process.

Dealing with it depends on what you are willing or able to do. If you have to pay someone else to do the work, it will be expensive. If you have the ability to do it yourself, you will trade time for money. I think you'll have to remove the edge moldings and peel back the rubber roof to expose the damage and replace the rotted wood. But be prepared, because as I said, there is always more to be replaced than you can see on the outside.

Much depends on what your plans are for this camper, but you're not alone, this is a common issue with these trailers and much has been documented on this site concerning the repair process.
Wishing you the best,
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

SUN #6969
Bubbabc is an unknown quantity at this point
If your trailer is a 1990 you do not have a rubber roof. You would have the painted metal roof. From the picture you posted it looks like the roof is leaking at the edge? You will need to visually inspect that area of your roof from the outside. There might be a puncture in the metal or possibly a leaking roof vent? If The roof hasn't been sealed in a while I would use Kool Seal elastomeric white roof coating. It is water soluable and dries to a rubbery coating. It has a five year Guarantee.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
As a start, you might want to remove the interior trim ring from the roof vent (4 screws). You will see the wood frame for the vent and it may give clues if there was water getting in around the vent. That would be an easy job.

After that, what Bubbabc posted above.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote