Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

SUN #1133
lilsuzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile soft floor

Hello everyone! Have a question for our floor t1700 model...the floor seems soft in areas, just notitced recently, no leaks noticed, we looked underneith the camper appears to be a black fabric, is this what is suppose to be there? also we would like to tear the old linoleum out to see what damage is done., what are the layers of materials we need...is this black fabric that is exposed to the weather elements suppose to be exposed like it is? thanks for any info

Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
That black fabric is Darco and yes it is exposed, it keeps the road water from the OSB floor.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

SUN #1133
Thank you Gene! Not sure what is causing the soft spots, and didnt know if moisture was getting thru the floor due to the fabric, sure we will find out soon when we redo the linoleum
Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
Vinyl flooring has very obvious discoloration--large blotchy grayish--if it gets wet from underneath. Discoloration is a dead give away. Don't rip up vinyl that is not discolored without checking further.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #5

SUN #768
Good point by Henry about discoloration.

I should have given more info about the floor structure in my first post. Sunline used Oriented Strand Board (OSB) on top of the metal frame with the Vinyl flooring on top of it. Under the OSB, between the frame rails, is fiberglas insulation. The black Darco fabric under the entire frame holds up the insulation and serves as a water barrier on the underside of the trailer. Since there is a bit of distance between the frame rails that the OSB is sitting on there are spots that give a little. The key is whether it springs back. My Vinyl also has a little give, like padded tiles.

This link has pictures taken at the factory by a Sunline Club member that show a little bit of the structure. There are many other pictures here on the forum as well.

Sunline Factory Tour Photos

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #6

SUN #1133
Thank you for the info Gene n Henryj, very interesting, and makes sense! The floor in our camper is a little spongy in spots, some spots feel as if it could fall thru, and yes we have noticed a purplish stain in areas, more heavily traffic areas, hoping this isnt a real hard task to fix, as we will be checking it more thourough when we get ready to winterize...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

SUN #1133
soft floors

do you think i should use osb or plywood , i was thinking plywood , but dont want to mess up . and do i just use regular r22 insulation ( fiberglass) in the floor. t1700 mike
Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #8

SUN #768
I am thinking plywood but I hope someone that has actually done this type of repair will jump in with what they used and why and give some first hand pointers. I know there are threads here by frank and JohnB showing what they did.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #9

SUN #1133
Thanks Gene, we were thinking ply also, but talked to a rv sales owner, he thought osb would handle the warping factor better, we will see what others post like you said, might be pros n cons with both..
Sue
Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #10

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
When JohnB repaired his slide floor, he used 3/4" pressure treated plywood. He has a very long (5 page) thread in the repair forum with detailed pictures.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...age-10695.html
If you have read his posts, you'll see he takes great pride in keeping his Sunline in topnotch condition. Not sure if he said why he used plywood; but if it is good enough for him, it would be good enough for me!
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #11

SUN #1133
Thank you Clueless, as we speak bf is outside taking off the linoleum, soft spots under the table area, told him to take a bunch of pics, not sure if he will, i just wanna make sure everything gets put back in right spot lol...n i would be out there with him but im layin in bed sick tonite so he is on his own! I am going to show him the detailed pics , the link you posted, n i will try n get some pics to share, i too think plywood would be stronger..
Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Sue

Plywood verses OSB? I'm sure there are views for both. I know Glendale RV who use to make the Titanium high end 5th wheel boasted they used actual plywood verses OSB.

And as Clueless Camper (Dona) pointed out I did use a combo of 3/4" pressure treated and 1/4" plywood to create a 1" thick slide floor. This thickness combo is unique to the slide floor.

TT manufactures can use OSB in full 30 some feet long sheets making no seams. Save time and $$ and by being 1 piece they do not have to deal with the joints.

In a repair situation, I myself have no issues with good plywood. In fact even if I was make the entire TT I would have no issues with plywood. The OSB board works and is on many TT's beyond Sunlines. Cost I'm sure is a factor as they can buy it cheaper then plywood.

OSB when it gets wet, swells and eventually falls totally apart in pieces as the glue dissappears. However plywood is not good wet either unless you are going for the high end treated or marine grade.

However keep this all in perspective. Water on the floor is bad period. If it is wet so are other things that left unchecked will get destroyed.

So, OSB or plywood will work in your floor repair from all that I know. I'm not a TT manufacture but I see no issues. I would use coated screws to hold it down and not nails. Nail heads pop up over time and make holes in the vinyl flooring.

As for treated wood, on the main camper it is not as needed as a slide floor like I had. There is nothing wrong using it other then cost. The floor then may outlast the entire camper. Key is, find the source of the leak where ever it came from and correct that for sure.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #13

SUN #1133
Still in the demo mode with the floor, insulation was ruined n osb because the water gravity dish wasnt installed right n there was a gap in front and behind it, thank god nothing on top of the floor was ruined, , decided to go with osb n laminate on top, then linoleum..will keep everyone posted!! thanks for all the replies
Old 10-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #14

SUN #89
Sue glad the damage was at least that limited..... it can always be worse and I'm sure what you have is bad enough.

Question
Quote:
because the water gravity dish wasnt installed right n there was a gap in front and behind it

OK what is a gravity dish?

If you can, post some pics of the issue and the progress. They go a long way in these type of reworks helping others.

Good luck

John

Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #15

SUN #1133
Yea, big relief! I wanted Mike to take pics when he started rippin up the floor, but he didnt, i should have taken them lolwe found it to be the gravity dish because it was getting dark during the removal of the floor and when he walked behind the camper, he saw light coming thru the dish, when i bought the new dish, it came in 2 parts, the nose part of it gets pushed thru, then twisted in place, the 1 that was on the camper was pushed thru, not twisted in place so there was a gap about 1/8 inch by 1 inch? after he saw that he had me run the hose trickling down the side of the camper from the top, sure enough saw the water dripping down the outside of the green hose in the cupboard, no damage in the cupboard because it went down to the floor..also after he removed the old 1, the sealer behind it was bad, said it was leaking thru the back too.who would think! i will do my best to get some pics...thanks again Sue
Old 10-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #16

SUN #1133
Gravity Water Dish - Item - Camping World this is the item properly secured, 2 pieces, mine the center piece ws out n not secured n twisted in place...only noticed it due to seeing the light inside the camper when looking at it in the dark...hope this helps
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #17

SUN #89
So that is what they call the fresh water tank fill spout????

Boy we all learn something new every day here on SOC!

Man I would of searched for a real long time trying to find fresh tank fill port or spout.... if I ever needed one.

Thanks!

John

A "gravity water dish" you have got to be kidding me..... Oh well more RV lingo...

Old 10-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #18

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Live and learn........
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #19

SUN #1133
Thanks everyone for your help, Gene was the 1 that suggested it could be the gravity water dish and posted a link, n thats what it was...we are learning something new everyday on this forum too...thank god it is here!!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #20

SUN #1774
garycpo is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2001 T-1950, showing water damage around the toilet. Can anyone tell me the best palce to start?
Gary