Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #1

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Snow on roof?

No ! Not yet anyway!

Tom washed and recoated the roof for the second time since we bought it this year. I think he will do it twice a year, Spring and Fall.

But, he asked what you all do as far as snow on the roof? Leave it, shovel it? Unfortunately, our Sunny will winter outdoors and we can get the usual heavy winter snowstorms. We've debated buying a cover and just don't know if we should invest in one. The RV dealer said these trailers are made to be outside and to do a good job on the roof and keep the caulking in good shape and it should be fine without a cover.

Opinions? Thanks !

Deb

2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
We've never used a cover, but the previous owner of our Sunny did. I can say that the roof looks almost new... Even being 10 years old already. I'm not sure how waterproof RV covers are either. Best bet is to closely inspect the roof, where any sealant is. Small cracks can let in a LOT of water!

To answer your question though... If we didn't have the Sunny port to protect our Sunny, I would buy and use a cover...

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
We haven't had much snow the last year or so but I recall a few years back it seemed to snow everyday and the snow did pile up on the roof. I think you get a bit more up in Vermont than I get. That IS a lot of weight on the roof. I never did shovel any off as the sun seemed to melt it quite a bit. I never covered my roof because I am a) CHEAP and b) I am concerned about a cover blowing in our usual wind and wearing on the edges of the roof. The extra weight you get up in Vermont (and New Hampshire) would have me thinking of a roof rake. There were a lot of collapsed roofs a few years ago up there. The key would be to take a little off the top at a time and evenly over the roof span. If you do use a cover to keep water off the top make sure it is tight AND breathable. The weight will push a lot on the top so check the seams early in the Spring before any potential leaks get ahead of you.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote