Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

SUN #363
Richard B
Shower leak

Noticing puddles outside after taking showers, I felt that the best way to start to find the leak was to run water in the shower with an outside hose, duplicating a shower, but not using the camper (T2475) plumbing. I was surprised to find that I had a leak.
Next, I noticed the putty around the drain was looking a little skimpy. I want to apply new and caulk around the shower base and walls. I'm loosening the drain by using a wrench and turning. It's turning, but I'm not sure it's going to disconect. At the same time, I'm concerned that it might disconect, and the pipe drop and then I've got a big problem.
Any one have experience with this.
I appreciate any help..
Richard
T2475, Maryland[/code]

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #2

SUN #382
Mooney
Ahh yes, the dreaded H20 drip...

I had the same issue, after sitting in the outdoors long enough, that caulking turns to junk. In our coach, the water drip lets the water flow right under the power converter- ACK!

I just recaulked around the outside of the tub drain, from the tub inside and have had no issues since.

I probably should take it apart and do a better job, but since the season is underway, i'm going to wait until either fall or whenever I am forced to.

I did put a whole buch of caulking on the ring, so I don't see myself being forced to fix it anytime soon.

'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:17 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Have you looked for an access panel to get to the bottom of the drain fitting? I do not know your model but on our 04, T2499 and T310SR there is an access panel where I can get to the drain fitting and trap.

If I remember right, the drain fitting in the shower floor should unscrew like a normal home tub/sink drain basket. Again in a 2004 model

You said it was turning, are you turning it on the top or on the bottom where the nut is?

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #4

SUN #363
Richard B
Thank you both for your quick replies.
I'm loosening from the top. I have a T2475 and the access to the bottom is too far to reach.
Richard
T2475, Maryland
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #5

SUN #522
travelinsunline
We had leaking on our 04 T2753 coming from the shower (shower type base) area as well. I assume that you have the shower type base and not the bathtub style. What I found after a rather tedious and lengthy battle was that the actual base had two small holes on the upper horizontal/channel edge of the shower basin itself right where the sidewalls overlap the base. These holes were located right behind and on both sides where the European style shower curtain was attached at both the sidewall and basin (on each inside corner where basin, sidewall and bottom shower curtain guide meet). You have to really bend down and look ever so closely using a flashlight to see these holes (if they even exist on yours). The solution was then easy, a good quality silicone non-mildew type caulk was used to completely seal the entire edge on all four sides where the shower sidewall, basin and shower curtain bottom guide met each other.

We then moved on to an 06 T1950 and I caulked the same area right away just as a precautionary measure.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem in our '99. So far, I have found **FOUR** separate leaks in the shower drain:

1. The upper end of the first part of the trap plumbing was broken in two separate places. That was caused by flex in the floor of the plastic shower pan due to insufficient support underneath the pan in the area around the drain. Standing in the shower repeatedly flexed the drain fitting which eventually broke the plastic nut and the pipe on the top of the trap. Replaced the nut and pipe with a rubber repair coupling. This rubber coupling absorbs the flex of the floor and solved two separate leaks.

2. The same flex problem also caused the floor of the shower to crack and leak right around where the drain fitting sits in the shower pan. I have a large sheet of non-skid material which is weatherproof and waterproof and this will fix the cracked pan problem once I repair item #3.

3. The actual drain fitting is plastic and is also broken down where it is threaded to connect to the trap piping. That break was also caused by the floor flex problem. I have not replaced that yet, but will do so in the next few weeks.

I was able to get at the drain fitting from two access panels inside the trailer. One simply let me see the drain and trap, but was on the far side of the shower and was useless for actually working on the drain. But it did let a lot of light into the area so I left the access cover off until I finished working there. The other access panel was close enough to the drain that I could reach in and get channel-lock pliers on the pipe nuts to remove and replace them.

Also, directly below the U trap of the shower, there is no insulation. The U trap sits in a hole in the floor that is covered on the underside of the trailer only by the black plastic fabric. I was able to cut away the fabric exposing the U trap from underneath the trailer. The opening is boxed by wood on all four sides. This allowed me to remove the trap straight down, and dump the water in the trap without making any kind of mess inside the trailer.

Since there was no insulation or sub-floor below the U trap, the water simply fell onto the plastic fabric below. The U trap actually presses on the fabric a bit, forming a nice low spot in the center of the open area. The water simply passed through the fabric and dripped into a bucket. There was absolutely no water damage to flooring, sub-floor, or framing in the floor.

I happen to have some ABS plastic sheets around here, so I fabricated a nice cover plate for the opening, and fastened it back in place with screws. That solved the problem of trying to patch or secure the plastic fabric. And I can easily remove the cover to work on the drain again.

I still have to figure out some additional support for the shower base and fix the last leak.

Luckily, all of our summer and fall camping is going to be in New York State Park campgrounds that have really nice shower facilities. Since this is all dry camping with no hookups, we usually don't shower in the trailer anyway.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Thank you both for your quick replies.
I'm loosening from the top. I have a T2475 and the access to the bottom is too far to reach.
Richard
T2475, Maryland
Hi Richard

H'mm, I do not know if tightening from the top will seal it up. And I can understand not being able to reach it.

Reading Steve's endeavors and (Holy cow Steve.... ) My T310SR has a 2 x 4 pocket like Steve described below the trap. If your does have this same pocket you might be able to go up from the bottom. The bottom liner would have to be patched or a watertight trap door screwed back on.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #8

SUN #363
Richard B
shower leak

Well thanks to the good folks at Sunline - there is a screw-in access panel to the shower drain. There are flexible tailpipe and traps on the market, but I just couldn't get the needed connection pieces. So I used standard pieces, with the understanding that we stand a little farther from the drain. That seems to be working.
We've camped a few times since. I've still noticed a little leaking on the floor under the vanity. I know that when I took a shower, when soaping I let the shower hose extend rather than putting it in the bracket. I've sealed between the shower pan and walls. We'll see how that works.
We have a few more outings this year so we should be able to solve the leak/s. So much depends on the tilt of the trailer.
Thanks to everyone who has helped with suggestions!!
Richard B