Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
screws for siding

Looking at these pics you'll see where I have the older screws vibrating and falling out. Obvious a little age, a little fatigue and I'm thinking the wood underneath may be slightly rotted. I don't even know if these are the original screws.

I was thinking of a couple of options:

Obviously a larger stainless steel wood screw

OR

Those spring loaded wing nuts? (used for drywall?). I don't know if the wood underneath is 1x2 or 2x2.
What would you guys recommend for replacement and would you recommend anything such as a glue or goo to cover the thread of the screws upon installation? Can't really use wood glue since most of those glues are NOT weather (water) proof. I want a reasonably tight anchor and protect the screw bond to the wood from further moisture.

Open to suggestions
So far one has fallen out, one was half way out and few others are loose, So I want to replace all 16.

I might add, most of you know that I want to keep the TT as factory original as possible, but sometimes that's not always possible, so if I have to modify with bigger and better, that works for me. I just don't feel like opening up the siding which would probably be done from the inside. Nope, not this time round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.jpg (47.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0780.jpg (66.8 KB, 3 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #2

SUN #6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJ View Post
Looking at these pics you'll see where I have the older screws vibrating and falling out. Obvious a little age, a little fatigue and I'm thinking the wood underneath may be slightly rotted. I don't even know if these are the original screws.

I was thinking of a couple of options:

Obviously a larger stainless steel wood screw

OR

Those spring loaded wing nuts? (used for drywall?). EDIT: the correct name is TOGGLE bolt. I don't know if the wood underneath is 1x2 or 2x2.
What would you guys recommend for replacement and would you recommend anything such as a glue or goo to cover the thread of the screws upon installation? Can't really use wood glue since most of those glues are NOT weather (water) proof. I want a reasonably tight anchor and protect the screw bond to the wood from further moisture.

Open to suggestions
So far one has fallen out, one was half way out and few others are loose, So I want to replace all 16.

I might add, most of you know that I want to keep the TT as factory original as possible, but sometimes that's not always possible, so if I have to modify with bigger and better, that works for me. I just don't feel like opening up the siding which would probably be done from the inside. Nope, not this time round.
Sorry for any confusion: The correct name for these pieces is called the TOGGLE BOLT. Just couldn't think of the name.
See here in a youtube video.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 05-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The hot lick would be an expansion bolt but I don't think they make them small enough. Another thing that might work would be a molly insert (the kind of things that are used for dry wall) they do make them in a pretty good sizes. The problem with a toggle bolt it has to go through the hole completely.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

SUN #6257
I was thinking long and hard about this. I felt the same as you about those toggle bolts. While the concept is good they'd still have to go all the way through and then expand after the fact. Question is: would there be enough space on the opposite end for the toggle to fly open????. As far as the expandable lag type they might split the wood inside, no way to tell.

Here's what I bought. I went to Home Depot and bought a pack of #12 zinc wood screws. The originals were #8 and I thought # 10 might still be too small, considering I wasn't sure how "worn" the existing holes are inside. I will be drilling a proper hole to accommodate the new screw size. If a wood screw too big could also split the wood especially on smaller pieces.

I also bought some glue used for wood and for marine applications. So, the screw size should be sorta perfect but the marine glue would be applied like we do with loc-tite and other threads for nuts and bolts. Typical wood glue (carpenters glue) would break down soon if exposed any dampness or rain that would migrate in.
I figured this was my best bet.

I'll work on this tomorrow and post my results. I was on garden detail today

Jerry & Debbie
Old 05-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

SUN #6257
It didn't work out the way I expected. As soon as I inserted the first screw, I just felt it wasn't right.

I guess the old screws were in on a bit of an angle and it was tough trying to create a new angle and anchor on to some fresh wood, especially competing with the bumper and frame work.

On my TT I have a tin type floor that covers the entire undercarriage of the TT. That tin floor wraps around to the ends and underneath and inside the siding. I guess to do this properly I'd have to peel back some of the siding and some of the flooring and insert new wood.

I don't think I'd do a very good job without making some sort of a mess, so I'm going to leave well enough alone.

I will say that the newer oversize screws and the marine glue made things better than before. While it's better, it's not what I was after.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, not for the lack of trying.

Jerry & Debbie