Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #1

SUN #671
Hvolt1
RV port

I was wondering if it would be necessary to cover up my sunline.Will this extend the roofs life? Rvs at dealers are in their lots and never covered.Should I invest in a rv cover simular to a car cover? The main reason I would want one of these is the black streaks,they make the camper look terrible.I was also wondering what is the best product to remove them. I use simple green to clean the streaks but it take several applications.Iremember when I bought the trailer it had all the streaks.The T-1950 was new and had been on the lot for about 13-14 months.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Amazing Orange that I find at the dollar store. Spray it on and wipe off the streaks. Works well. One Thread here cautions to keep it away from Logos but that's not a problem.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I opted for an aluminum RV Port over a fabric cover. I KNEW it would get old REAL fast putting a fabric cover on and off. I bit the bullet and had the RV port installed. It is great, keeps the sun off the roof and much of the sides, but the side protection from the sun will depend on where/how located on your property. I also ran a dedicated 30amp receptacle out there for Sunny.

However you decide to cover your trailer will be a benefit, and make things last longer. Sun is brutal on the roof, vents, AC shroud, caulking, decals, etc.

Good luck with your decision

My RV Port came from TNT Carports, Mt. Aity, NC (800)597-3597
It is 14' wide, 28' long and has 9'legs. The 9'legs provide plenty of roof clearance. Cost was $1339.80 delivered & installed. They appear to have places all over the east coast.

In the picture you can see how with the arch of the roof the 9' legs give me plenty of clearance, and I'm about to have Sunny lifted 3 inches for better ground clearance. I would NOT go any narrower than the 14' however as then you could run into clearance problems if you get off center.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #4

SUN #671
Hvolt1
Rv port

Thanks for the info,I will try the cleaner.The dealer told me the streaks are from the rubber roof.What would be the best cleaner for the roof and what could I put on it to stop or slow down the reaction?I found an rv port for mine and the price isn't too bad 1,045 delivered and set up .I guess I should have purcased a camper with smooth sides.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have a lot of black streaks to deal with, but when I do I use either Awesome(from the Dollar Store for a buck a bottle) OR Reliable RV Cleaner, now this is great stuff, not cheap and you MUST be careful using it. Don't spray it on and let it sit, as it WILL remove the paint. When I use it, I went the area with water, spray it on and then immediately use one of those kitchen sponges with the cleaning pad on one side, and then rinse IMMEDIATELY
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a cleaner made by PeenKleen called Exits. It works great at full strength in a squirt bottle to remove black streaks, and diluted in warm water as an overall wash. It is a little pricey though, $15-$19 a gallon.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #7

SUN #385
Hematite
Re: Rv port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvolt1
Thanks for the info,I will try the cleaner.The dealer told me the streaks are from the rubber roof.What would be the best cleaner for the roof and what could I put on it to stop or slow down the reaction?I found an rv port for mine and the price isn't too bad 1,045 delivered and set up .I guess I should have purcased a camper with smooth sides.
If the streaks were from the rubber roof they would be white. They're not white, they're black. The streaks come from industrial pollution carried by the clouds and come down with rain. Smooth side campers have the same problem but they may be easier to clean. The crystal cote was supposed to make the Sunline easier to clean but I thinks that's doubtful.

As long as China burns the immense amount of coal that they do and Europe and Russia pump tons of pollutants into the atmosphere, you will continue to see this problem and it will likely continue to increase as it has for a number of years.

Awesome cleaner seems to do a decent job. If you do a search, you will find a number of suggestions for keeping the outside clean.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #8

SUN #671
Hvolt1
Streaks

I have tried awsome cleaner and it works but only after several applications.I will try the exit cleaner.I guess I was expecting something easier as camping shouldn't be all work . I thank everyone for their suggestions . Bob[/b]