Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

SUN #6633
Fletch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rubber roof cleaning

Need help, I have searched the net and this forum. I get so many different way's to clean and maintain a EPDM roof. I see dicor make's a very good product, First I should say that it look's like my roof has never or has been a very long time that it had a good cleaning. Thank's for any help.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Fletch,

In your album you show a 2005 T2499. I'm assuming this is the roof you referring too.

Not knowing if you know this or not, just a friendly heads up in case you do not. Odds are high your roof is "not" a walk on roof. Meaning there is no 3/8" OSB board over the entire roof allowing you to be able to walk directly on it. Special order Sunlines had this option, but it was a special. So yours is more than likely like the rest of us, a non walk on roof. We can get up there to do work on the roof but have to take some precautions. Need a trap,rug or something to protect the rubber, then pieces of plywood 2 foot or so wide by approx 4 ft long. The rafters are on 16" centers, so you span then. The plywood can be 3/8" to 3/4" if that is what you have. In my case I have some 5/8 2' x 4' and they work good and not too heavy to get up there.

To wash the roof, I use a car brush and really do not get on the roof. Reach over from the side. But in your case, if the roof has never been washed, I recommend a caulking inspection as if that has not been done in a while, it is for sure due.

See here for more on the inspection and getting up on the roof
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html

To wash the roof, in my Sunline manual (2004) they stated to use laundry detergent. In my case I use Tide. Hose the roof, the using car brush with tide in the bucket, wash the roof, then rinse real well. This is going to cut the dirt. If you have a lot of mold (lots of black specs) the tide is not going to do much on the mold.

The key to roof cleaning is to stay ahead of it. If the camper lives/stores outside, cleaning the roof 3 to 5 times a year is not unheard of. For sure spring, then in the summer and later in the fall before going into winter storage. Every time your up there, look at the caulking. Any little fine hair line split or crack, after washing the roof deal with the split then. Have tubes of Dicro self leveling roof sealing on hand.

If you are into massive mold, I have read on the roof resealing products you have to use a bleach and water solution to kill the mold before applying the EPDM coating or else the mold gets trapped under the roof seal. I caution using this practice on a regular basis as many uses of the bleach treatment may not be good on the roof. A call to Dicro customer service may confrim.

Brite Ply is what the roof is. See this link on what Dicro says about the mold cleaning and cleaning in general.
https://www.dicorproducts.com/catalo...ubber-roofing/

I will recommend, what ever you use, for sure rinse well and do not let the cleaner dry on the roof. This goes for the sides of the camper. All the white and black stuff will be all over the sides of the camper. Rinse that off too before it drys on.

In the spring or any time I wash the roof, do the roof first. Then wash the rest of the camper in that order. All those nasty black streaks come from dirt off the roof. Point: clean roof then sides.

The bigger the camper, the bigger this job is. I use to have a 2004 T2499 and it was big enough come spring cleaning. Now the T310SR...its even bigger. I generally do the roof the day or night before doing the sides. It breaks up the non stop cleaning.

Once I get the roof clean and dry, I treat it with 303 UV protectant in the next day or so before towing with it to again get more dirt on. The roof and any other plastic parts of the camper. The sun kills all things plastic on a camper over time.
303® Aerospace Protectant™ for long-lasting finish and shine

Hope this helps and good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #3

SUN #6633
Thanks JohnB and yes roof is budboard, I did see some where that it said to use spic & span I just was not sure that you could do that. The mold is not to bad, should I use a UV protect on it ? Thanks again and yes 2005 T-2499 and we love it.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
While you're up on the roof doing all that work - and we definitely empathize with you on that - make sure to clean out the gutters as best you can. Helps prevent a lot of black marks on the siding. Enjoy your 2499!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

SUN #6633
Thanks Matthew & Lisa waiting for some warm weather. I did get look at the gutters and they did have alot of gunk, next warm day I'll be up on the ladder with my wash bucket.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch77 View Post
Thanks JohnB and yes roof is budboard, I did see some where that it said to use spic & span I just was not sure that you could do that. The mold is not to bad, should I use a UV protect on it ? Thanks again and yes 2005 T-2499 and we love it.
Spic and Spans makes many products. Spic 'n Span - Products

The original powder one "might" be a bit abrasive as a wide spread general cleaner on the rubber. I would be cautious with it. I do not know if that can be used or the long term effects of it.

The UV protectant, I know the 303 brand is acceptable on the rubber products. I do not know about all other brands.

For cleaners or other treatments, be cautious of products that have forms of petroleum distillates in them. The rubber is EPDM type and the petroleum products can affect the rubber if widely used and or left on a long time. There are certain times when making roof repairs that we need to use stronger cleaners, but they are spot treatment cleaners and dabbed on with a rag and wiped off quickly. Most times we use high flash off cleaner that clean quick and evaporate off real quick leaving no residue.

The T2499 rear living layout. Yes we like that too. The T310SR is the same floor plan as the T2499, just bigger and with a full super slide. Happy camping this year.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

SUN #6807
maynardjw is an unknown quantity at this point
For anyone looking for an amazing cleaner- there is a product called Split made in Flat Rock NC. The product has no odor, oxidizing agents, petroleum products detergents or anything else harmful, yet it breaks down motor oil and any other non solid organic materials. (Rubber is a solid organic material and will not be harmed) It will clean a rubber roof or black streaks with little effort. Destroys mold and mildew as well, yet it does not have any bleaching agents. Best carpet/ upholstery cleaner on the planet. Drop me an email if you would like to find the product. maynardjw@comcast.net