Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Mark,

A lot of work but it looks good. The one thing that I would also check/recaulk is those screw heads that get covered up by the vinyl strip.
JohnB had some issues with screw heads.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #22

SUN #856
markbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Screws and fixtures are on the hit list too!

Just had to secure the perimiter

Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #23

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Mark

Looking a lot better now. GREAT for you. And like Kitty stated and you too, get the screw heads too.

That caulk removal tool. I bought one in a kit at Lowes or Home depot as well. It came with a silicone spreader. Used it in the house shower. I was amazed at how well it worked. Never thought of using it on the dicor. On a nice hot summer day I'm sure it works well.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #24

SUN #6757
thirdwheel is an unknown quantity at this point
What product could be used to apply over an exisiting, competent roof to prevent future problems....if any? thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #25

SUN #89
Hi Thirdwheel, do you mean to coat the entire roof or the caulk?

What model and year camper do you have? Do not know if you have a rubber roof or metal.

If this is a rubber roof, are you seeing the white surface worn to the point you see black areas under the white?

Trying to understand what you are trying to fix.

John

Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #26

SUN #2603
hflad is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone used Felxseal coulking or spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #27

SUN #856
markbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hflad View Post
Has anyone used Felxseal coulking or spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried it on a gray water pipe repair...works for awhile but then you need to reapply. I would stay away.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #28
RPC

SUN #9752
RPC is an unknown quantity at this point
Excellent Info in this thread!
...And, even though it was started in July of 2010;
The info is timeless, and a huge benefit to us "Newbies"...

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #29

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
To your comment on water damage at your dealership, yes it is a problem. I keep finding more and more campers, any brand, that the owners never knew they were supposed to do roof maintenance at all, not alone 4 times a year checks. So a 10 year old camper that do not always shows water signs inside can have infected walls, roofs, floors. It seems come year 3, tiny cracks in the sealants start. Some maybe sooner depending how heavy it was applied at the factory. By year 5 to 8 those cracks can be large enough water is getting in. Come year 10 with no maintenance at all and the camper being outside all the time, odds are favorable a level of water damage exists somewhere.

A camper that lives half a year or more under cover has a different deterioration timeline. Since the UV rays are only half as much, the sealants hold up better and the odds of being exposed to water are less. It is like a 10 year old camper stored under cover half a year is about at around year 5 with caulking cracks on one living outside uncovered all the time.

The more roofs I inspect, the more I find the sun UV rays are the downfall of the roof sealants and most anything plastic on the roof. By using a UV protectant like 303 on the rubber, caulking and any plastic or vinyl survives at a totally different rate. A 14 year old camper with the original caulk can still have no cracks in it even after 10 years of living outside all the time with regular UV treatment. It is amazingly different. The other 4 years the camper was under cover later in it's like. (thats mine)

John

Here’s an interesting story:

My son-in-law and his buddy each bought identical 2017 Keystone Bullet 330BHS models last March. I inspected my son-in-laws after he got it home and found a few tiny suspicious places on the roof and touched them up. Inspected it again after they had camped twice, maybe 500 miles, and there was a fair size opening in the Dicor at the front roof seam by the corner.

Fast forward to last month. Checked son-in-laws camper and it looked ok except for this......

I then inspected his buddy’s Keystone, which he had for 8 months with no inspection. Kinda’ sad.......

These pictures aren’t all the areas, there were a few others.

I’m not sure if the Dicor failure in such a short time is due to the lightweight construction of these campers (aluminum substructure), the shear size of the model (just shy of 40 feet), or Dicor has been reformulated to meet more stringent VOC standards. Or maybe it’s a combination of all these things.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #30

SUN #89
Hi John,

Wow... and that is a 2017 camper??? Not good. The first thing that caught my eye is the membrane. That is not an EPDM rubber roof like on our Sunlines.

That material with the crinkly finish looks like an Alpha Super Flex roof
RV and Utility Trailer Products
or other possible brand TPO roof. I looked up on the 2017 Keystone Bullet brochure and it calls out a TPO roof. http://www.keystonerv.com/media/2882...ochure_web.pdf

This one looks like it started when applied. Or again, this is a characteristic of that brand caulk. The person putting it on, stopped, backed up and then started again with the caulk applicator. The 2 beads should of flowed and bonded more. Dicro (the non VOC type) I know will fuse some of that together better as you have to stop and restart at times. I have only seen the Dicor (again non voc) only start to create that separation line after years on the roof with no UV protectant. Not in 1 year.

That said, TPO is now widely used and I have seen it on my neighbors 2014 Gulfstream camper when he had it here for some brake work. He had an edge crack where it bend over the gutter rail corner and I patched it for him. The rest of his caulk on a 3 year old camper , living outside, no care for it... but the caulk did not look anything like what you posted.

There is something not right with that caulking. It may not be a Dicor product, Alpha systems makes their own brand of caulking and there are other bands too that work on TPO.

That caulking should not be failing that fast. I myself do not have that much experience on a TPO roof to know if that is a thermal expansion issue of the membrane and the metal roof rafter setup or it is a caulking issue. Maybe one of our other RV tech guys have seen this before.

That is not good, at all to be like that in one year. If that is not addressed come next year that could be a full blown leak going through the winter with that wide a cracking. Water get in the crack, freezes, expands the crack more and the more freeze thaw cycles the worse it gets fast.

By chance is either of those 2 campers in warranty still? If that is considered normal on a 1 year old camper, that is a problem.

Thanks for sharing and let us know if you learn more on this. Very interested in the outcome.

John

Old 12-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #31

SUN #8237
Yes, both 2017 models still under warranty. I fixed the areas the day I took those pictures.

Another sad part to the story is that my son-in-law paid the selling dealer to come to his house and winterize both campers. Dealer claimed that a roof inspection was required for the warranty. Apparently the service guy never did that and just glad that I decided to check behind him. I was shocked and disheartened at the same time.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #32

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats scary enough that if i didn't have 3" snow I would be giving my roof another look!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #33

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
Yes, both 2017 models still under warranty. I fixed the areas the day I took those pictures.

Another sad part to the story is that my son-in-law paid the selling dealer to come to his house and winterize both campers. Dealer claimed that a roof inspection was required for the warranty. Apparently the service guy never did that and just glad that I decided to check behind him. I was shocked and disheartened at the same time.
Hi John,

There is good and bad out of this. The good, the manufacturer and the dealer appears to be alerting the owner that a roof inspection is required for the warranty. The point being, something it being said to the owner that roof inspections need to be done. And that some level of leak warranty at least exists while in the warranty period.

The bad is, that caulk is failing way too early. Something is not right. While that is a 2017 camper, it may have been made in early 2016. The caulking should not be breaking down that fast in 1.5 years since install. Again this is all compared to a wooden roof truss/underlayment system with EPDM rubber roof with Dicor caulking like the Sunlines and many other brands have used.

A suggestion for your son in law, contact Keystone nicely, present the pictures and inquire if the caulking should be separating this early. Do not get all hot headed as that will shut them down instantly. There may have been something not right during application. If the caulking is separating at that rate, it can be happening all year long. Winter is the worst months stored outside, but even spring and summer there is a lot of expansion and contraction going on. Also ask if the roof is an Alpha Systems Super Flex roof or what brand is it? To meet the Alpha yearly maintenance it talks to washing the roof and doing sealant checks 3 to 4 times a year. This is the same as the Dicor EPDM rubber roofs we have on our Sunlines. Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC If that is not followed, then they may deny any warranty claim if a leak starts.

They may state that the caulking they used may have that magnitude of separations in such a short time as normal. Hopefully that will not be the answer, but if it is, the owner's knows about it and can take certain actions to help make sure they do end up in a water infection situation.

Thanks

John

Old 12-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #34

SUN #8237
John, both campers were manufactured in September of 2016, so they’re 15 months old.

The dealer technician apparently never inspected either roof. My son in law didn’t want to “rat” the guy out as he has gotten to know him and likes him. Afraid he’d lose his job.

I’ll talk to him about contacting Keystone.

He didn’t tell or show his buddy the pictures I took because he’s the type that would go ballistic.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #35

SUN #8237
Also, not that it matters, but I was wrong about the roof rafters. I see the brochure says they’re galvanized steel, not aluminum.

I apologize for hijacking your moisture meter thread. In hindsight I should have added to an existing roof thread.

John
Old 12-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #36

SUN #89
Hi John,

Thanks. I'll move this side line of roof stuff out to the caulking inspect 101 thread. It is all good info that we do not want to get lost. It helps drive the point home about roof caulking.

There could be an explanation for the tech guy not not doing the roof if his service order only stated "winterize" the camper, he may have never been told to do a roof inspect and sealant touch up. Yes, in our eyes, a winterize should be all things on a new camper that need to be in place for winter. But that may not be what the dealership considers a winterize. A roof inspect and caulking touch up may be a totally separate charge item.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #37

SUN #9878
mmyerspa is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a very helpful post. Thanks JohnB!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #38

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy cow. I can say, my dad's toy hauler has a TPO roof. It sat outside for a little over a year, and then has been inside since except for a week a year.

I haven't been up on that roof in a long time, but there are no bonding issues with it. When I fixed the one split on the Sunline roof a few years ago, I think I fixed a couple questionable spots on that one, and that was it. Not as bad as the Sunline or nearly as bad as the pictures above.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #39

SUN #9909
Preston is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings!

It finally got warm enough in Pennsylvania for me to check out the roof on my new (to me) Sunline. I scrubbed with a brush using warm water and dove only.

The majority of the roof got amazingly clean but these spots are on the back end. I observed that it's only on the part of the roof that has plywood underneath it.

Is this mold?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof 1.jpg (93.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg roof 2.jpg (65.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #40

SUN #8237
Looks good.

Do a test with some bleach. That will tell you if it’s mold or not.