Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

SUN #959
ed kempisty
Rotted floor

Just replaced the front half of my floor on my 2001 21' Sunline. Used the trailer about 4 times in 2001 and 2002 then had it parked and never used. The front half of the floor just became very solt. Had it replaced this year with plywood, appears solid now. Problem is they could not find a water leak. Any advise.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Ed

They could not find a leak? Oh boy that does not sound good. Having the floor go bad like that points to water from somewhere.

Did you do the work or a dealer?

Where was it the worst, and then started to stop. Odds are the worst area is in the path of the water or where it wicked in from.

What model camper is it?

Did you ever go up on the roof and check the caulking for cracks? This is an annual thing as over time cracks in the caulking can start and then water can get in. Down the inside of the wall until it stops.

A place to start is the roof itself and look for any splits or cracks in the caulking. Around the vents or any roof penetration. The side edges too.

A window can be an issue too some times. You said the front was replaced, the front window has been known here on SOC to have a leak around the edges where the window frame seals against the camper. Since the front is on an angle, it can be more prone to a leak getting in then one that is true vertical and has a gutter edge above it.

Also look inside on the walls for any type of water discoloration.

Right now you will be on a real trouble shooting search. The clues are there somewhere. Finding them is not always easy.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #3

SUN #959
ed kempisty
floor

Thanks for the reply. The molel is a T-2053. I am guessing a front window leak. On our first trip I had a water leak while driving in very heavy rain at the front window. Took it in they said they could not find anything wrong. The trailer has just been parked from the fall of 2002 till now. It was a major project, to replace half the floor from the front bact to about the shower. Because it was just sitting and not used it tells me it was an exterional not interional problem. I had the front have of the trailer re- caucked. I hope I am OK.
My next job is to get the appliances working. Also a gas leak, filled the LP and in a week they were empty. Hot water, furance and gas on frig will not work. That is my spring project.
Another question for you. Planning an Alaska trip about 10000 miles. Will my Sunline hold up? Only have about 4000 miles on it. We really like the trailer.
Best regards
Ed
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #4

SUN #549
frank
Ed,

To find your leak, you may want to consider leveraging a repair shop that performs the sealtech tests (http://www.rvleaks.com/). They basically slightly pressurize the coach and spray the outside with a soapy solution and look for the tell-tale bubbles.

If you're more of the DIY type, several folks have engineered their own tests, using large fans or electric leaf blowers.

- Frank
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed kempisty
Another question for you. Planning an Alaska trip about 10000 miles. Will my Sunline hold up? Only have about 4000 miles on it. We really like the trailer.
Ed, there was a time that only the most ruggedized vehicles and trailers could make the trip from the lower 48 up to Alaska. The Al-Can highway was true adventure.

I believe it is better now, but still worthy of respect and lots of planning. I did a quick google search on "alcan highway rv" (without the quote marks) and got many, many hits. The first one was: http://www.outwestnewspaper.com/akhwy.html which is a nice overview of the highway as it is today.

Also, there may be roads in Alaska that are challenges as well.

I'd recommend doing a lot of research on the matter. I suspect you will find that the top recommendations are extra spare tires, add shock absorbers to TT, make sure TV is in top shape, etc. Time was you needed rock guards on windows and headlights and such. I think that's in the past, but you'll want to hear from folks who have done it.

The real question isn't if the Sunline will hold up, but more of how well you prepare for the trip.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
Ed,

To find your leak, you may want to consider leveraging a repair shop that performs the sealtech tests (http://www.rvleaks.com/). They basically slightly pressurize the coach and spray the outside with a soapy solution and look for the tell-tale bubbles.

If you're more of the DIY type, several folks have engineered their own tests, using large fans or electric leaf blowers.

- Frank
Frank

WOW thanks for that link. http://www.rvleaks.com The U Tube video is an eye opener.

I hope I never need to use one of these, however the concept can be recreated wihtout that much effort. I see in there list is an RV dealer not to far from us. Have to call them and ask how much it costs to do a check. That could change, build your own or have it done for you.

In seeing there demo, I can see many body and tail lights failing this test. And I'm sure it will be shocking on just how many other locations show up as bubbles even while they may not yet have water coming thru.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote