Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #1

SUN #2612
RockDodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof Walking

I have a 1987 T2153 with an aluminum textured roof. Last Year a large tree branch fell on it and punched a hole in the passenger side rear corner. I was able to repair that while standing on a ladder. But by the end of the season, I was experiencing more leaks, this time from the opposite end of the trailer.

I'm pretty sure I need to actually get up on the roof to inspect it, but I don't know if I should get up there or not. I weigh around 220. Will the roof hold my weight? I don't know how it is structured, and obviously I don't want to fall through. Anyone have any suggestions? I have considered a straddle plank, but since the roof is slightly bowed, I think it would just flatten it and probably cause more leaks. Any help is appreciated.

Terry & Marsha/Northeast Illinois
1987 T-2153, 2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If you treat the metal roof like we do the Sunline rubber roof setup, you should be able to service the roof.

I have not personally yet been on a Sunline metal roof however I have on other brands of camper. I treat the metal roof setup the same as a rubber roof as I'm almost sure Sunline did not out 3/8" decking under their metal roofs unless special ordered. A fellow forum member of one of our metal roofs can help confirm.

The issue is the concentrated amount of weight on one foot print between the rafters with that kind of weight can damage the roof and possibly break through. The key is spreading the weight out.

I start with putting down canvas, old carpet or tarp of sorts to protect the roof from abrasion. Even on a metal roof.

Then I use several 2 ft x 4 ft long sheets of plywood placed on top to span the rafters. That size is something I can man handle up there and move around. You and have it larger, just make sure it is wide enough to span the rafters and not shift off from wiggling around. Thickness can be 3/8 to 3/4" whatever you have around.

See here servicing my AC unit.

A heads up, make sure you have a solid ladder on a stable surface. The danger spot is transitioning from the ladder to the roof and visa versa. The ladder kicking out or you losing your balance is not good. I have not had a problem but I can feel my body weight shift and the ladder movement that could happen that high up to know, this is the caution spot.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

SUN #2612
Ok, well I see by your illustrations how you do it seems simple enough. My real concern is that the roof on my trailer is slightly arched and there is no foundation underneath it besides the rafters themselves. I would not like to create a standing water situation that won't allow water to run off, if you know what I mean. A friend suggested using 2x10 planks to span the width of the roof with 1" wood pads on the ends to accomodate the arch in the center. A good idea, I think, but because of the weight would require two people to move it evenly. I am alone most of the time, and the wife is no help at all in physical things like that. Maybe I'll try it though, cuz I seriously believe I need to get up there.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #4

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Just make sure your plywood sheets are on rafters. You’re overthinking it.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
The rubber roofs have a built in arch on purpose as well. The plywood does flex to the arch as long as it is not excessively thick. You should be able to feel the stiffness of the rafter under the metal. As JohnnyBgood said, you do have to reach the rafter. If you want extra protection span 3 rafters with your plywood sheets. The are nominally on 16" centers when they can be. Floor plan changes that and you may get an extra one every now and then.

This post will show you the newer Sunlines with the rubber roof glued to stiff corrugated board placed over the rafters. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tml#post130799

I use to weigh 230 when I took the pics showing the plywood sheets while I was working on my AC unit. I'm now down 15# but the system held me OK then and there really was not a lot of flex going on. I kneeled all the time so my weight was spread out but at least 2 feet/knees also. No need to stand up really.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:47 AM   #6

SUN #2612
Oh man! That's a project alright. I certainly hope you got it all (Ha!) Unfortunately, I gotta wait for good weather. Finding a building that big to do it in isn't so easy. Spring will be here soon, although it brings rain with it. I guess that's what big tarps are made for.