Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

SUN #4991
merlin5150 is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof leak...!!!

So the 2001 model 2753 we just bought has silicone sealant all over the seams on the roof. I was just informed that silicone destroys the rubber roofing..true? Well we have a drip coming from a speaker in the front. What to do...?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Silicone on the roof it not good, but it does not destroy the rubber like chemical attack per say. What it does do is mess up the adhesion surface for the correct sealants. Silicone is so slippery that there is not much that wants to stick to it. It also does not last a real long time due to the application of the camper flexing and pulling on the sealant.

So now what? Well that is a good question. I myself have never had to deal with getting a silicone patch up off the rubber roof and try to make it a good surface for Dicor which is the correct sealant.

If you have a chance to get some pictures of the areas we might be able to think of some options on what to do.

Now to the leak... a Drip on a speaker wire is a sign and not a good one. You "might" have just found it when the leak started (the hope) or it has been accumulating for a while and finally is coming out. Are there speakers or ceiling light fixtures or a vent you can take down and take a sniff or peak it at the insulation?

I'm not joking on the sniff part... even though how odd that sounds. The smell of wet wood or wet insulation is a damp, wet, moldy never forgot it smell once you have experienced it. If it smells like dry normal wood, good, keep sniffing...

Some of the inspection cameras now on a cable (we use to call the bore scopes) can poke around and see up there. Rental places have them some times.

If you find it wet up there, you are going to have to deal with it sooner than later as it will not go away. The hope is it is small.

You will need a total roof seam check for where the water is getting in and stop it ASAP. Cover the camper to buy you time if need be. Odds are high it is the side seams, front top seam, sky light or the top corner edges.

These posts may help
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-11610.html

Good luck and hope this helps.

John

PS heads up, to take precautions when working on the roof. Most all are not walk on roofs. You need to put a tarp/carpet down and plywood to kneel up there.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

SUN #6111
SBiddle is an unknown quantity at this point
So, we have just purchased a 1999 Sunline T-24A and my husband has been checking out the roof. He feels it is 'drying out' but there are no signs of leaks. Would the instructions you have above, JohnB, be suitable for him to look into? Thanks for your help. This truly is such a great resource!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBiddle View Post
So, we have just purchased a 1999 Sunline T-24A and my husband has been checking out the roof. He feels it is 'drying out' but there are no signs of leaks. Would the instructions you have above, JohnB, be suitable for him to look into? Thanks for your help. This truly is such a great resource!
Hi,

The 2 links above are for rubber roofs and your 99 should be rubber. The caulk all around the edges, roof vents, tank vents, antenna are caulked with Dicor self leveling roof sealant. Those are the areas of most concern. Any little mini split or worse crack needs to be cleaned, dried and re caulked now before it expands to the point water can get in.

The main roof itself, this is hard to tell with out seeing it to know what you are up against. My rubber roofs I have been super picky about them. I wash ours about 4 times a year, when it use to live outside. I used Tide laundry soap. Then when it drys I use 303 UV protectant on the entire roof and any plastic parts that are up their. It treats the rubber and slows down the aging process. It may help what you feel as hard.

The key to keeping a leak free camper is staying after the roof caulk. A check 3 times a year is a good target. Just coming out of winter, mid summer and just before going into winter. Spring and fall are the 2 big inspections. You want to address any mini splits going into winter and coming out of winter. Every time your up there washing etc., look.

After about year 3 of a new camper, the little split separations start to show up. And then pending the years, what was no issue in the fall can be a OMG come spring.

Good luck and hope this helps

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club and congrats on your new camper. I caution you, they can and do get additive...

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

SUN #6111
Thanks so much! I think my husband is anxious to 'play' with the camper anyway. I'll past this info. on to him and it'll likely be done lickety split..lol (at least this time). Actually, he's pretty awesome at keeping up all our vehicles, home repairs, etc. so I expect he'll be the same with the Sunline. Thanks for the welcome.. I already feel that way.

Susan
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #6

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Susan,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your purchase.

There is a Meet & Greet that takes place in Va. You may find it of interest.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

SUN #6111
Thank you, Bunjin! How do I find out about the Meet & Greet in VA? Sounds like fun.

susan
Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #8

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBiddle View Post
Thank you, Bunjin! How do I find out about the Meet & Greet in VA? Sounds like fun.

susan
Welcome fellow Virginian. Bunjin is talking about the Meet and Greet at Shenandoah River/Andy Guest State park October 10-12, 2014.
Go to "Community Forums" and select the M&G for the Shenandoah. There is a sticky with all the info.

Teach
Richmond, Va.

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote