Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof Coatings

Greeting from Tucson, AZ!

I am wondering if anyone has used the newer roof coating products like RV Amour and or Dicor's EPDM Coating? I take good care of my roof had it resealed about 3-4 years ago and they did a good job but its 12 years old now and as a full time RVer it gets lots of use. A quality coating is certainly cheaper than replacing so anyone have any experience with these products??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HWEGE9115.jpg (124.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1989.jpg (118.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1721.jpg (68.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg BTINE4019.jpg (97.2 KB, 11 views)

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #2

SUN #1546
bumping for discussion

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 02-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Joan,

On your roof, do you see parts of the white rubber that are worn off totally that the white has turned to black?

I am not referring to mold, but you can see and feel the black rubber I am referring to. This black would look just like a tire tube or the outside of a tire. And it would be/ could be spotty, or a larger area.

When the white layer is worn to the point you are seeing the black show up, that indicates the white layer has worn to the point a recoating needs to happen to preserve the roof. It still will not leak in the early stages but left let go a long time it can.

If the black membrane is showing, then Dicor does make a coating that will replace the white layer. I have seen it on a friends camper, it is white just not as smooth as the original. I am not sure how long that coating lasts until another recoat will be needed. I have heard 5 years but do not know that as fact.

If the black has not started showing, then the roof can go longer without a recoat. But keep an eye on it as the age suggests any year now it may need it. Since you have been spending so much time out west, the sun is very strong as compared to back east. The sun is for sure a factor in roof life and all things plastic on the camper.

My roof is 14 years old now and I clean and treat it with 303 UV protectant and it is in very good shape still. I see no need for a recoating. However I have helped other Sunline folks where their roof has no care, 0 care and are newer then mine. The current owner inherited the problem when they bought it. And it looks real bad... There are like spider cracks across the white layer all over. In some cases those spider cracks in the white layer go all the way to the black layer. When they get bad enough that the black is exposed, then they too requires the coating.

You cannot go wrong with the Dicor as it is made for that material. Just know to keep an eye on it as it will wear over time and need another recoating. This process is not that expensive. I would recommend that all the Dicor caulk be in good shape before the coating is applied. This gives you then 2 times the coverage on the caulking areas as they can coat over the caulking. The caulking areas are generally the weak part of a roof and where most all leaks start. Coating over bad caulking is not something I would recommend.

The RV-Armor Welcome to RV Armor - Home I have heard of it, never seen it in person. From what I heard it is costly but they claim a lifetime guarantee and it will last the life of the camper.

If you get a quote from them, please let us know if you can/want too. Part of this decision on which to use will be cost driven and maybe how long you feel you will keep the camper.

It is good you are thinking about the roof, getting things done early before leaks start is the best prevention.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

SUN #10318
ynpmoose is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been looking at coatings myself as well. I have the black starting to show through where the AC condensate runs off the roof. I've been looking at liquid EPDM from Liquid Roof and the Dicor products, both available for DIY. I think RV Armor has to be done by the product manufacturer's authorized techs.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

SUN #1546
Thanks for the replies

I know that Rv Armor is expensive however I thought I would give them a call to see just how expensive it is and report back

I know Dicor (and others) makes a products however the application is quite a job and not being able to stand on the roof complicates it even further

Plus I would think you would need either an area under a roof or a super calm nice day with low humidity and not to warm. Its not a task I want to take on myself

I think I will call some dealers too and ask here (Tucson) and an private repair if they know anyone who does this.

Please keep me (and everyone reading) updated if and when you ynpmoose have it done or do a DIY

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"

Tags
roof, roof coating