Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

SUN #806
kkeduda
Roof and wall repairs

Hello all

A while back I got excellent advice on how to seal the leak in my rubber roof. Now I am finally ready to tackle the damage that it caused.

I've ripped out the damaged wood. picture below. Some was still wet! Now I have a couple of questions about how to repair it.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

1. I have a cabinet that is beneath the ceiling piece I need to repair. Do I need to remove the whole cabinet? Picture below. I can't see where its attached?

[/IMG]

2. Is the white textured wallpaper on the ceiling some type of paneling? or just wallpaper on op of wood?

3. Where can I get the think pieces of wood (luan?) for replacement paneling? Lowes/Home Depot? or an RV store?

4. I might want to continue to repair another spot near the bottom front of the camper. I think I would need to remove the window. I'm OK with that, but I cannot see how the thing over the top of the curtains is attached? Picture below.

[/IMG]
Thanks for any help in advance.

Keith

Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi, see comments in blue below

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeduda View Post
Hello all

A while back I got excellent advice on how to seal the leak in my rubber roof. Now I am finally ready to tackle the damage that it caused.

I've ripped out the damaged wood. picture below. Some was still wet! Now I have a couple of questions about how to repair it.

1. I have a cabinet that is beneath the ceiling piece I need to repair. Do I need to remove the whole cabinet? Picture below. I can't see where its attached? It depends on if you need to replace just a small corner of the cieling or a lot of it. If you look inside and see no screws from the inside to hold it on, then odds are high they screwed in on from the outside before the siding and roof were on. One of those new vibrating tools with a metal cutting blade may help snip the screws off once you find where they are. You may have to pry down a side to see 1 screw then take it out and keep working your way around. You may save the cabinet but may destroy the cileing board in the process.

2. Is the white textured wallpaper on the ceiling some type of paneling? or just wallpaper on op of wood? Mine is a vinyl type of paper glued/bonded to 1/8" thick luan board

3. Where can I get the think pieces of wood (luan?) for replacement paneling? Lowes/Home Depot? or an RV store? I saw some white panels at Lowes over the weekend that might be a choice. If you have Menards near by they have some choices too. Odds are high it will not 100% match so you may have to replace a bigger area to make it look OK. If you can make it to Elkhart IN there are a lot of suplus places. A drive just for the panleling by istelf is not cost effective on the gas. So Lowes etc may be a choice. You can try an RV dealer who may be able to order it. It may not match either. Check the delivered to them price. The price may bring you back to Lowes....

Another option "might be" is to by plain 1/8" luan board and glue commercial wall papper to it. Then you have lots of choices. Just ask the wall paper store what is the right glue for below freezing and up to 120F. Commercial wall paper comes 4 ft wider and light years stronger then normal home paper and maybe stronger then what was in the camper in the 1st place.

4. I might want to continue to repair another spot near the bottom front of the camper. I think I would need to remove the window. I'm OK with that, but I cannot see how the thing over the top of the curtains is attached? Picture below.

If you mean the vallance over the top of the window, mine are held to the wall of the camper by little L brackets. Take the curtains down, take the mini blind out of you have one and look up inside. You should see very small screws on the L brackets.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Keith
Good luck and keep us posted how you make out. And take pics! They help others trying to do what you are doing.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

SUN #806
kkeduda
I found:

At my local Boat N RV chain store: I found the paneling with the white textured pattern on it. They actually had it in stock! It was called Adorn Mansion Arctic White. It came in 4'x8' sheet for $40 a piece. They also had the ~1" strip that goes over the joint where it isn't flat. That is called batten stripping. It was only $3 a piece.

At Lowes: I found the plastic channel pieces that joint two boards that are both flat. It is called strip tileboard molding. Only a couple of dollars a piece.

I can now get enough materials to fix the ceiling damage. I also have some damage on the wall so I'm going to look around for matching wallpaper and the blue decorative stripe that goes over it.

The cabinet isn't in a damaged area. It looks very inconvenient to get out so I'm going to work around it.

Similarly, the valence has no visible screws or brackets at all. It's either stuck on with super adhesive, or screwed in from the outside.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions for where to locate similar wallpaper? I haven't even looked around yet, I was going to take a sample with me to the stores.

2. The wallboards look like they are attached with lots of small, narrow staples. I assume they came out of some type of air powered gun. Any suggestions on what type of nail or staple I can use without special tools?

Once I make more progress, I'll start posting more pictures.

The project is slowing moving along.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll tell you how I did mine and you'll have another option. I replaced a lot of wood and paneling on my 92 Solaris that had been water damaged like yours. I realized that the trailer is built from the inside out which means that once the walls are in place, any attaching components (cabinets, curtain valances over the windows) are screwed in place from outside before the insulation and siding is installed. That makes for tight construction, but leaves us with a headache when it comes to replacing these items. I looked around for pre-covered paneling also and found some at a local lumber yard at about the price you found. I had decided that I wanted to change all of the interior wall covering in my trailer for a new look and I didn't want to replace all the paneling, so I decided to use 1/4" luan (the factory used 1/8" I guess for weight savings) and drywall screwed it to the studs. Then, I patched and sanded the joints and applied commercial vinyl wall covering that is 54" wide as opposed to residential which I think is 36" wide. Not that the width mattered that much, but it made for fewer seams. I butted the seams with no "batten" and after about 4 years, I do see the seams a little more than when I applied it since it's exposed to more temperature and moisture variations than it would in a climate controlled house, but I don't think it's objectionable. The original "piping" used at all the corner joints had to go since it was applied at the factory before the ceiling panels were added to the walls. Instead, I bought narrow moldings at Home Depot and covered them in the same wall covering fabric and finish nailed them in place. You could use pre-finished moldings and I'd suggest the use of a finish nail gun for this. A dab of some sort of sealer over the heads will prevent rust from appearing later on.
Check my Photobucket pics in my signature for progress pics on my project.
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, I thought I had a link for the pics in my signature, here's a link where you can see them. You'll have to scroll through to find the right ones. The light grey with blue trim is the old, the beige with the brown is the new:

DSCF0349.jpg Photo by VCRT | Photobucket

Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
They've made so many different wallboard panel covers through the years that finding one that is an exact match is nearly impossible, especially this far down the road. The best you can do is find something similar that doesn't stand out too much.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeduda View Post
I found:

At my local Boat N RV chain store: I found the paneling with the white textured pattern on it. They actually had it in stock! It was called Adorn Mansion Arctic White. It came in 4'x8' sheet for $40 a piece. They also had the ~1" strip that goes over the joint where it isn't flat. That is called batten stripping. It was only $3 a piece.

At Lowes: I found the plastic channel pieces that joint two boards that are both flat. It is called strip tileboard molding. Only a couple of dollars a piece.

I can now get enough materials to fix the ceiling damage. I also have some damage on the wall so I'm going to look around for matching wallpaper and the blue decorative stripe that goes over it.

The cabinet isn't in a damaged area. It looks very inconvenient to get out so I'm going to work around it.

Similarly, the valence has no visible screws or brackets at all. It's either stuck on with super adhesive, or screwed in from the outside.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions for where to locate similar wallpaper? I haven't even looked around yet, I was going to take a sample with me to the stores.

2. The wallboards look like they are attached with lots of small, narrow staples. I assume they came out of some type of air powered gun. Any suggestions on what type of nail or staple I can use without special tools?

Once I make more progress, I'll start posting more pictures.

The project is slowing moving along.
You have done well finding actual panels at an RV store!!! Great!

I'll second Vcrt's comments on the commercail wall paper. They were taking it off the wall here for work a while ago and I quizzed the installer on it. This is very different than home wall paper. Some day if I ever do rebuild my camper from the ground up, I was researching going this method.

The wallboards of the newer campers are glued and stapled. Over the years some of the glue strength lessens and some is still welded on. That actual wallboard bonding creates a stiffness in the camper.

Power staple guns have come down in price from years back. However they are still a qty of $$. Barbed paneling nails is an option if you can still find them. I still have some from many years ago and use one every now and then. However on an entire wall, I myself would buy a new tool and get the air or electric stapler. My fingers would get beat too much putting that many of those little paneling nails in. Or use needle nose pliers to hold the nail.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote