Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #1

SUN #1951
Nitrohorse is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof A/C Fin Straightening Advice

While looking at my roof yesterday, I noticed that many of the condenser fins on the roof unit are bent. Some are actually bent so badly that they are completely closed. After some initital research, I've found that Harbor Freight sells a "fin comb". The comb has multiple combs with different teeth per inch, with 15 teeth per inch being the smallest comb. My question is will the 15 fins/inch comb work with the roof unit? I tried using a small pocket knife to straighten, but with the amount of fins that are bent, I would spend the entire camping season in my driveway laying on the roof. It appears that the previous owner used the A/C unit for a foot rest while installing new Maxi-Air vents.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Larry

Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
You might find a fin comb at your local auto parts store, too.

You may need to use a ruler to figure out what the "fins per inch" is on your AC unit and go from there.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #3

SUN #1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
You might find a fin comb at your local auto parts store, too.

You may need to use a ruler to figure out what the "fins per inch" is on your AC unit and go from there.
Steve,
Being the genius that I am, I put the ladder away without the foresight to measure the fins..lol. I was hoping someone knew the answer without me having to haul the ladder and plywood back out to climb on the roof. Oh well, I can go back up on the roof again this week. I think Habor Freight sells the comb for $5.00, so I might buy it prior to measuring the fins. If it doesn't work, I can keep it in the camper and use it as a moustache comb.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Nitro

Your on the right track. The coil comb with the correct pitch will do the trick. Go slow and work it. I have seen our maintenance guys take out some pretty healthy dings on injection mold cooling coils with those combs. After working it slowly some areas you could not tell they where even bent prior.

Good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

SUN #1951
John,
Just an update. I bought the H.F. fin comb and either the Chinese cannot make an accurate comb or the A/C fin count per inch is different that the options on the comb. I've spent many hours using a plastic putty to straighten them and I'm about a 1/4 of the way done. I spoke to the service manager at our local RV dealership and he told me that the fin count is 14 on the Dometic A/C. I guess I'll have to hunt down a Mac or Matco comb (hopefully U.S. made) and try that route. I replaced the carpet in the bedroom today (ditched the mauve carpet and replaced it with a beige color). I noticed that the tile flooring near the fridge had some "dark" spots in it that would not wipe off with cleaning products. It then dawned on me that the spots could be water damage. The previous owner replaced the bathroom floor due to the toilet leaking and I'm wondering if the spots are residual water damage or if I have a new leak. Any suggestions as to how to handle this new issue?
THanks,
Larry
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Larry

Bummer on the HF comb. But thanks for passing along the info on the 14/inch on the Dometic. That may come in handy some day.

The carpet and possible water damage. H'mm well need to know more about it.

Here are some trouble shooting things when looking for leaks.

Right now you do not know if the stains are new or old. Are they damp? And sniff up close, if the wet has been there a while and it is still wet, it will smell very moldy/musty. The smell of rotting camper wood is one that once you smell it, you will never forget that smell....

If it is dry the smell should not be very power full and it should feel dry.

If you have something wet or it smells really musty, then while it may be dry where your touching then somewhere there is wet something.

And if you have the wet or the smell then well, need to starting digging some more as this kind of issue normally does not go away on it's own

Any chance of posting some pics so we can see what your up against? This may spark some better ideas on how to go about sorting this out.

We have several on the club here who have dealt with water damage and they are all glad to help.

Good luck!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #7

SUN #549
frank
Larry,

Here's a source for a comb with a 14 pitch: Robinair 18403 AC Condensor Fin Comb Straightener Cleaner

- Frank