Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
roof

Well it was an amazing March day so I decided to find out why there was roof cement on the edge of my T1700 roof. It was all over the trim/gutter aluminum piece. What I found was a complete lack of effort on some ones part to really reseal it. The tar is just shay of impossible to get off, what I do own is one of the vibrating tools that has a scraper blade with out that I would never had got it off. There was no reason to even put it on in the first place when Sunline built it they rolled the roof edge over the side, stapled it and then used a sealant tape (it actually was still pliable after 21 years) under the trim piece to cover the screw holes and staples. The roof tar actually made what ever issue a previous owner though was wrong worse because it caused the water to pond behind the trim piece. One side is done and the garage cleaned that was about a 4 hour project! I'll paint the roof after its all done any one have a good paint product they like? I was thinking an epoxy paint. I'll take some pictures of the other side in case some one else it thinking about a reseal.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi mainah,

This might be an option for you. I was keeping this book marked for mine if I ever wear it to the point of re-coating. It does list for metal roofs as well as rubber.

RV Roof Repair with Liquid Roof and Liquid Rubber

Here are some pics of it on one of my buddies campers. I know him well.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Painting roof What to use?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

SUN #2097
I used to have a Toyota motor home and one of the guys on the club site did the roof of his MH with truck bed liner. I think that maybe a bit over the top but it sure looked good and if it could stand up to the pickup bed abuse should work fine on the roof. My only thought is replacing a vent or some thing might be a problem once it was coated. It's rainy and cool today the camper is in the garage so I'm not too worried about it but I think it would be a better day to check out the web sites and price some coverings thanks for the info.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Main

Yes I too have heard of the bed liner. I have even seen white used on the front bottom area of the camper in place of the aluminum diamond plate. have no idea on the cost but it was an option for him. I'll see if I can find the post.

For a roof vent, if you go with the rubber coating it may be easier to cut around to change out vent pipe etc. The bed liner stuff is usually harder material. Yes the vibrating scraper may be the only way to get bed liner off once on. That stuff bonds....

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

SUN #2097
I did have a look at the web sites that stuff is not cheap I'm sure it's good but I was looking more at making it white. The roof seems to be in very good shape the other side is not nearly as gooped up I'll attack that in the next few days I finished the drivers side today putting it back together was a piece of cake. The only problem I have is it looks like some one climbed on the roof and there are places that don't have enough camber and I'm trying to figure out how to get the camber back in the roof it's not smooth enough for a suction cup type of thing to pull it back up and I'm wondering if I could use a sticky back thing to pull it back up then pry it back off with a puddy knife. It's just pushed down there seems to be no damage.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #6

SUN #3354
UPbuilder is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you ever seen the framing of a camper roof? Not much there in most. Typically 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 rafters with a crown cut in and luan on top of those. I have seen some where they crammed multiple layers of luan on top of the rafters to get the desired crown. If you have a low spot it could either be a broken rafter, rotten spot, or maybe the luan has given way. You aren't going to be able to suck the tin back into shape and have it stay that way. The only way to fix it is to open it up and make the repairs. On a metal roof that's usually from the inside.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

SUN #3387
1979Sunline is an unknown quantity at this point
i could picture the tin staying up until the next heavy snowfall and then it would settle again and you would have those low spots you speak of, my holiday had this, but it was sealed well and never leaked so i let it go. when i would tow it down the road after a rain you had better not be behind it because 5 gallons of water was coming, ask my wife about that.....i kind of set her up for it, sure was funny
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #8

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPbuilder View Post
Have you ever seen the framing of a camper roof? Not much there in most. Typically 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 rafters with a crown cut in and luan on top of those. I have seen some where they crammed multiple layers of luan on top of the rafters to get the desired crown. If you have a low spot it could either be a broken rafter, rotten spot, or maybe the luan has given way. You aren't going to be able to suck the tin back into shape and have it stay that way. The only way to fix it is to open it up and make the repairs. On a metal roof that's usually from the inside.
No plywood just rafters I had one of the lights out to have a look. The rafters are fine I can see the bows the spacing is pretty wide there are no dents it's just pushed down like some one leaned on it. I'm going to try some double sided tape if I can't pull it up so be it. It's not leaking I just would like there to be a better chance of having the water run off the other side is fine. The camper lives in a garage so it's pretty safe there if the roof had a crease in it I don't think there would be any chance of lifting it.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #9

SUN #856
markbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody try any of these products?

So I am looking at doing the roof this Spring, great topic! I need to replace a 3 foot wide section of rubber roof to repair some earlier damage and structure rot.

After that I plan to coat everything with a "liquid rubber" type product.

I was reviewing these 3 products and just saw John B.'s friends review on Liquid Roof.

Anybody use these products?

Dicor Roof Renew Kit

KOOL SEAL & Rubber Roof Primer

Liquid Roof/Liquid Rubber
Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

SUN #3385
steve59 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just recieved a 4 gallon pail and a 1 gallon pail of liquid roof this past thursday.I have a 1982 sunline with the roof still in good shape.I have changed all the vents and sealed them all.I am going to pressure wash the roof and tape it off when it is dry.been reading all of JOHNB's friends post that he has put up...will see what happens with this product works......
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

SUN #3575
Musikaldave is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to begin patching and repairing the roof on my 1987 T-1661 this coming week once I get the interior frame work finished in the cieling for the remounting of the exhaust vent in the bathroom and the vent pipe etc., in the rear end. I have several holes/leaks along the seams at the edge where the roofing was rolled into place. I'm planning on putting screening there, compounding and building it up and hopefully that will solve the issues. If not, I'm goingt o split pvc pipe in half and place the tubing halves over the seams and glue them down solid. That should fix the problem.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

SUN #856
Anyone have feedback on Liquid Rubber?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #13

SUN #856
I used the liquid rubber in Sept 2013. Used 4 gallons and coated it twice. Basically followed how John's friend did it.

It turned out great and I am very happy!