Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #1

SUN #1004
Khrtl
Right front corner/seam leaking

As we were completing a sinple replacement of the mini-blind holders, to our surprise we disovered a small section of the paneling, below the front shelf, was weak. As we felt down, there was a similar area (6-9inches) on the bottom, front panel. The panel is still intact, the floor and carpet appear sound with no discoloration.
I looked on the outside of the unit and there are no open tin seams or holes apparent. I did discover that the caulking on the outer corner seam (both sides) is dried and cracked. (Saw some water stains on the right, front side in the storeage area).
My first thought is to remove the old caulking and replace it. I note in a previous post that there may be a better selection of caulking than a silicone base???Silicone is pretty pliable and when added to an adhesive, very tenacious.
For those of you who have tackled this type of issue on your own units, !). Where else should I look for a leak? 2). Should I remove the lower tow front panels 9easy to replace) and check the indide of the tin? Finally, 3). Caulking suggestions??
Thanks for the help!
David and Kathy

Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi David

What year and model camper do you have?

I have been "into" the newer campers and may be able to help with a few suggestions once we know what you have. You mentioned tin and mine is all aluminum siding so if yours is actually tin, then it may be one of the older ones as I do not know if they where tin or aluminum and how they made the corners back then.

This much I can help recommend, do not use a silicone based caulk on the seams. They do not last in this application. The vibration and movement of the camper going down the road does it in after a few years or sooner.

Any chance of posting a picture? That would really help us see what you are up against.

If the putty tape under the corner is totally gone and crusty cracked under the corner, pending what you have and after I know for sure what you have, it may be a better repair to take the corner off, take all the old putty tape out, put new fresh butyl sealing tape on then the repair will be fully water proof and 1” long. The caution I have about trying to just using caulk on the outside is it works as a sealer but it is very thin. If the putty tape under the corner is of a level of sound and at least water tight, then using some chalk such as Dicor non leveling caulk will seal, give added protection and hold up the road vibration. Once cured it can be washed and it comes back white. Some have used 3M 5200 marine sealant, I have a tube but never used it so I cannot comment on how good it is. In the marine world it is very good stuff but a boat vibrates different then a TT. I have used the Dicor and have never been disappointed. And I once used the best silicone I could buy can and I have always regretted it. While silicone is good and has it’s place, sealing up the outside of the camper is not a good application of it for longevity.

Hope this helps and good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #3

SUN #1004
Khrtl
Right Front Corner Seam Leaking

Good Morning John
Ouch!!
I thought this might be an easy fix. Even thought I could do it.
I have a 2005 T1950. It appears in great shape so I was surprised to find the paneling in a "soft" shape. It is aluminum, I believe.
When you state that it needs to be totally taken apart, does that include all the siding? I had read about the "tape" but that sounds very involved.
I believe that I would look into the Dicor product. Coming from a marine background, once you put 3M's 5200 on an item, you better be happy where it is, it doesn't remove easily!!
With the aforementioned information regarding year and construction, where do I start?
Thanks!
David
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #4

SUN #89
Hi David

I will post more tonight at home as there are a few here on the forum that have had a corner strip off and back on. What I do not know is on the sides of the camper is the aluminum siding bent over the front and then the corner molding put on over this. Forum members Frank, VCRT, Lode and EMD_Driver have been into those corners and know what is under them. I’ll hunt for some of there posts that have pics.

Now to your 2005 1950, OK that is a new coach in this perspective. I was thinking one of the older tan ones you might have in the 60’s or 70’s. Your 2005 is built like mine and many others here on the forum. And those front corner seams after a number of years are concerning. I myself just Dicor’ed them, I have no water and I want to keep it that way. But my sealing tape is sound right now but I can tell after 7 years I can see signs it looks like it might be lifting up off the aluminum. So took precautions as this camper has lived outside all it’s life. My prior T2499 lived inside most of it’s life and it has not seen these weathering effects.

Since you have what appears as a soft spot inside my bigger concern now is how much wet is in that wall?? I do not want to scare you as if we had some pictures of what you are seeing it will help show us what you are looking at and that will help guide a better response to offer some fix it suggestions.

Now to that corner itself, it looks like this. This corner is on my slide. Here they did not bend the siding over to the side of the slide. The ends of the camper may be made different but this molding piece is attached very similar. Here is my slide flange I just repaired.

If you for sure have water entering in the corner molding and not the top front seam of the camper, then my 2 cents is to remove the corner, check for wood damage if you can see it with the corner off, then put on new fresh Butyl sealing tape and put the corner back on. “IF” you have a water flow channel under the existing putty tape putting a little dab of Dicor or any other sealant on the outside may only be a temporary fix. The sealing tape is 1” wide to stop a path of water. The caulk on the outside is only maybe 1/8” thick at it’s thickest. Yes the caulk will seal it but you are going to have to be a super hawk eye to make sure there is not crack in time that comes from it.

If the wood/insulation is wet then you know and can deal with it now. If you seal it up now, it may be a few years before it will rear it’s ugly head. You may not have to take the siding off the camper, you may have caught this early enough and the repair is not to bad.

To check if the insulation is soggy, take off the yellow clearance marker light. There is about a 1” hole in the siding that you look in and put your finger in there to check for wetness. Granted this is only 1 spot and it may be dry, but if it is wet, then you know for sure you have a problem to deal with.

Up top on the front of the camper is a seam from the roof to the front siding. Are there any cracks in that caulking? The water may be coming in from above and not the corner molding.

Hope this helps and any pics you have are real helpful in cases like this. I may be over reacting or not.

John

Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #5

SUN #1004
Khrtl
Right Front Corner/Seam leaking

Thanks, John!
The pics are awesome and take away the fear of the unknown. I'll proceed, cautiously!
David
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Sorry for chiming in a bit late, but John was dead on with the corner construction. The siding is wrapped around the corner and the channel with the putty tape behind it, is screwed over the ends. I will try my best, to get some pics tomorrow.. There's no light for pics right now.

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #7

SUN #89
Re: Right Front Corner/Seam leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrtl
Thanks, John!
The pics are awesome and take away the fear of the unknown. I'll proceed, cautiously!
David
Hi David

I found some of the Sunline reconstruction artists posts we have here on the forum I was looking for. They have pics in there posts.

This is geared to help you with pics of how the TT was made not to scare you to death with what can happen… .

Frank and his adventures replacing the back of the TT.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=1824

Vcrt (Rich) and his new skylight camper….
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...opic.php?t=143

Lode (Jason) upgrading the stone guard on the front of his TT.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=1974

When you get into yours, any pics you can add to the collection helps future Sunliners doing repairs.

Good Luck

John

Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

SUN #1004
Khrtl
Right front corner/seam leaking

Thanks, John
I am discovering that the front had been disassembled by a previous owner. I am also discovering (through the removal of the paneling), that it has been resealed and there is no sign of wet, mold or rot! The gods are smiling!!!
The construction appears very similar to the illustration you sent along!
Awesome....Now, let me see if I can replicate the molding!
David
Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #9

SUN #89
Great!!! Hope the Sun keeps shinning your way....

Let us know how you end up.

John