Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

SUN #1458
matti is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement rubber for doors

I need to replace the rubber insert that covers the attaching screws of the door & cargo door frames. I tried the vinyl but am not able to form it around the curves. a local dealer said that the original on the Sunline was rubber & was not sure they could obtain it. Anyone have any suggestions or know where the original can be purchased?

HD Tow Package\Integrated Brake Ctrl
3.73 LS Rear
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #2

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I need to replace the rubber insert that covers the attaching screws of the door & cargo door frames. I tried the vinyl but am not able to form it around the curves. a local dealer said that the original on the Sunline was rubber & was not sure they could obtain it. Anyone have any suggestions or know where the original can be purchased?
Hi Matti, I'm not sure but I'd bet the year and model of your camper is needed. It will help to know if you have round corners or square corners. I think the parts you want will come from the window and door manufacturers, not Sunline products.

I did check the picture you have posted and see the round corners. I got the rubber insert from the window manufacturer and it does go in when the rubber is warm and more flexible. The corner of the windows will pull out as the rubber shrinks so I stretch some rubber from the straight sections to make rounding teh corner easier. Yours might be the same.

jim

Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I think you want the vinyl insert material on the left and center of this page from the Go-RV catalog.

Any of the RV dealers on this page ( http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/chooseDealer?state=NJ ) use the Go-RV catalog.

It may help to take a small piece of the material with you when you go.

One other point, this material really is not a "Sunline" specific item. Most of the materials used in our Sunlines are just industry standard items. Sometimes it actually helps not to tell the counter person that it is for a Sunline. They hear Sunline and automatically think "out of business".

Most RV parts counters use this catalog and the insert material is available from many online sources like pplmotorhomes.com , marksrv, etc.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi Matt

Your not tricked me.... I thought you where talking about the rubber door gasket or the foam gasket on the cargo doors.

If your talking the white plastic cover that pops in the white aluminum channel that covers the screw up, that is vinyl on your 2004 unit. Just like what Steve pointed you to.

See here on my door and cargo holes.

Here is a cargo door after I reset it. That is butyl caulk oozing out until I trimmed it.

Then the vinyl strip in place.

Here is the door way as well. The insert it out

The insert is in

Now how to get it in there. If you are starting out with a brand new vinyl strip it is pretty flat. It turns that 1/2 round shape once it is installed. If it is a real hot summer day the stuff is really soft and will go just about where ever you want it. It is very flexible when it is warm. Stick one side in the channel and then squeeze and with a screw driver work it into the other channel.

If you are doing it in cooler weather it is stiff as a board. In this case get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with full hot water out of the faucet. That may be in the 110 to 120F range. Uncoil the length you need, submerge it, let is soak and warm up. Then take bucket and all to the camper and feed one end out keeping the rest warm as you work it.

The stuff is night and day to work with warm then cold. Also notice Sunline put a screw in the middle of the radius. That is to help hold it in place. If you warm it up, try not to stretch it. The stuff shrinks and a 15 foot piece can shrink a good bit if hot, you trimmed it to length, then it cools off and it is 1/2" short. May want to leave it a little long on the end and then trim it to final length once all the temperature stabilize.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

SUN #1458
Thanks everyone for all your advise. I will try & purchase the vinyl from a dealer listed by
Steve as they are about 20 miles from me. John great idea with the warm water & now I know that the screws at the corners were original & not an after thought. If all goes well I will replace all the door inserts as they are not so white anymore in-spite of cleaning them. Getting ready to install a MaxxAir fan in the bathroom as soon as the weather breaks. The one I installed last year burnt up with the other trailer. Cant wait for warmer weather so I can pull off all the tarps & get to work on my to-do list
Matt
3.73 LS Rear
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #6

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
.... If all goes well I will replace all the door inserts as they are not so white anymore in-spite of cleaning them. ...
If it is just the whiteness try Clorox Kitchen Cleanup. Mine were real "grungy" looking and I tried everything and lots of hard scrubbing to no avail. About 5 years ago I tried the Clorox. Spray it on, wait 5 to 10 minutes, spray a little more and use a small brush that you would use for cleaning hands. It whitens up with very little "elbow grease". I usually have to do it every Spring.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

SUN #1458
Thanks Gene, I will give your recommendation a go however I have used "straight" bleach on them & I think they are beyond that. The problem is that look like they have black spots deep into the vinyl itself.

3.73 LS Rear