Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

SUN #256
Bobo
Replacement battery

Question for all of the know it alls (joking) or as I call them, The Shell Answer Man. About due to replace the battery on the Sunline. I have noticed that it does have a loss of power.

I know that it uses the Marine or RV style battery. Are the Optima brand worth the price or just replace it with the same size and style the dealer put in ?

Not trying to start a brand war but I think it is an interesting topic to bring up.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
There are only about 3 battery manufactures just a lot of names. If you have not had problems in the past with the battery size there is no need to get a larger one if it powers every thing you need to for as long as needed. If there is a choice between 2 of the same size buy the heaviest one. I do a lot of dry camping and run ham radio gear and have 2 batteries you may just stay in camp grounds where you can plug in so it's all in what you need a battery for.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #3

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
very helpful info link

We boondock 99% of time & recently returned from another Winter in SW.
Of the 180 days gone we had hookups for only 8 of 'em so relied heavily on our batteries ( a pair of type 27's) & the Honda gen & smart charger used to keep 'em working
A friend turned me on to this website The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
which I found extremely helpful
Also learned to ignore the interior monitor to judge state of battery charge & to never let 'em get below 12.30 volts. A cheap $3 voltmeter was best investment I made
Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes good site he does a water one too. The two 27's should be good with a gen set that is what I do again weight, the heavier one have denser plates. You can really go over board but the bottom line with the generator you don't have to, a good charger will have more then enough amps to charge the batteries. A digital meter is a good purchase for under $30 and in your case if you really are worried about dead batteries you could add an isolator and charge one while the other lights the lights. It sounds to me all you need are a pair of good batteries.

Tags
battery