Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #1

SUN #9721
CapsFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing old decals and applying new ones

Good Day

I was able to find the large Sunline decal for the front of my 2003 TT and two Solaris decals for the sides. I have not yet looked for the rear right and left side swoosh. I did, although, peel away the cracked swoosh on one side. It is not completely off and did leave a lot of adhesive. I want to make sure to remove it with the right product.

Also...I am not going to attempt to peel the front on off as it seems to be so attached to (what I believe to be) the fiberglass window awning/cover.

I have read that heat works on some and also read that, on fiberglass only, you can use paint stripper. I would never use anything until I check here first

Next...how do you prepare the surface for new applications of decals?

Advice greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Karen,

On the large Sunline decal in the back of the camper, the one on the siding, I used a heat gun to gently warm the decal and it peeled off OK. If you are using a heat gun, do not stay in open place long, keep it moving to not burn. A 1500 watt or larger hair dryer may work too. I have removed other siding decals this same way.

I have not had to remove one from the front rock guard yet which is on the fiberglass. However I would feel the same heat method would work OK but just heat gently and do not stay in one place with the heat.

To get the adhesive off, I have used rubbing alcohol to clean up left over adhesive on the fiberglass. It did not hurt the paint.

On the siding, I know you can use mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, naphtha and denatured alcohol and they will remove the gummed up sticky stuff. None of those 4 I listed will affect the Krystal Kote siding. I have used all 4.

They can also be used on the white fiberglass or the white aluminum trim. Pending the adhesive, one of the 4 may be better then the other. They are all formulated differently. If you use the mineral spirits, you will need to follow up with a high flash cleaner to get any residual left over reside off. Any of the other 3 I listed are high flash cleaners.

Do not use acetone on the siding. It will remove the paint.

As far as using paint stripper, I myself would not try that. Yes, on a rag it may work on the fiberglass but if any leaks onto the white aluminium frame and the siding, it may have a negative effect. I know the 4 above I listed are OK.

This post may be helpful. The beginning is about how to stop the peeling and the later part is applying the label. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...html#post89872

Some of the professional label folks used "I think" soapy water to float the decal around and put it in the correct place and then apply it. I have never done this, only heard of it so I do not know the particulars on how to make it work right. Maybe if one of our other members have done it this way, they can chime in on exactly how to do it.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I just removed one of my side Solaris decals this past weekend to replace it. It had been sitting in the sun for a couple hours, so I pulled up a chair, grabbed my plastic putty knife and a piece of paper, and started at it. 15 minutes later the decal was all off and on the paper. It was in decent shape to begin with, aside from a few parts blown out from the previous owner pressure washing it, so it came off in bigger pieces. The more sun damaged/cracked the decal is, the harder it'll be to remove it- the vinyl will likely crack off between the visible sun cracks as it was on the trailer.

If you're removing it from the smooth texture aluminum (where the striping is), fiberglass, or the decal is very sun damaged, you'll probably need some assistance that John described.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

SUN #9721
CapsFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you both for your response! So far I have not done anything with the decals until I got some experienced advice so your input is greatly appreciated. So much good stuff in here, I do nothing until asking first!

I just got done cleaning and inspecting my roof and adding uv protectant as John advised. That was quite a bit of work. I can see, now, the aging sealant that needs my attention asap. I took care of one corner of the roof with Dicor self leveling and cleaned the rest, for now. I will do more daily until the task is done. Whew...the heat!

I can't wait to get to the new stickers, although. Tomorrow is out with the old.

Thank you John and Sunline Fan!!

Karen
Old 03-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #5

SUN #9138
Champ is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but where can I purchase the large front and rear decals for my 2003 Sunline?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but where can I purchase the large front and rear decals for my 2003 Sunline?
Ebay has some. I do not know the quality or how close they match, just knew somewhere being sold there. See here

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ecals&_sacat=0

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote