Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

SUN #766
phillong
Refrigerator not lighting on gas

All last year I could not get the refrigerator to light on gas. I usually use this option to pre-cool the refer before I go camping. Once or twice I did manage to get it lit, but it took alot of coaxing.

I do run the stove and heater for a bit to get the gas in the lines. Still no luck most of the time.

I have read that you should hear a clicking sound like every 10 seconds or so. I do not hear this sound. And my caution light does not come on somethimes for up to 5 minutes or more. I can have the gas on for sometimes 2 to 3 minutes, and I do hear a poof now and then. Not sure if a poof is safe or not.

Is the clicking sound the relay closing, or is this the igniter sparking?

Can I replace the igiter myself or any other part that might need replacing without getting into the gas aspect.

I could have the unit checked when it goes in for inspection in spring, but at 80 to 100 dollars and hour, I would prefer to fix it myself.

I have a 2006 Sunline, Dometic RM2652 refrigerator

Thanks
Phil

Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
You will hear a "klunk" kind of sound when the gas valve opens then a "clicking" when the igniter fires a spark to the burner tube. A "poof" is not good, the gap may be too big and maybe makes a spark when a lof of gas fills the area. Try cleaning the burner tube and gas jet and then make sure the igniter gap is good. The igniter is easily replaced. If you take the cover off the burner area it shouldl look like this with a good flame.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg good-flame.jpg (86.1 KB, 4 views)

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Phil,

From what you are describing the igniter is not working. And why can be a few things. Before you do any of this, are you electrically friendly and have a volt ohm meter? If any of this you are not comfortable with doing, stop, and find an electrician buddy.

Here are the basics. Since yours is a 2006 unit it very closely matches mine.

See this pic. Note this is pre- recall pic without high temp shutdown system added. In this pic below the big white bar code sticker is a black cover Approx 1.5" wide x 3" long. Behind that black cover is the igniter

This pic is not with the recall done. When that black cover is off now you see the white igniter. You will see a yellow wire (hot wire) a black wire (ground) and a silver clear cable. (high voltage igniter wire)

The first trouble shooting thing for an electrical problem on a fridge is grounds. The black wire from the igniter goes to a stud that is on the connection board plate with a lot of grounds on the same stud. You can see part of that stud here. To the left of the white incoming power terminal block right at the 02 in the picture date.

Is there is a lot of corrosion on that ground stud? Shut the 120 VAC power off and turn the battery disconnect switch off. If you want to verify you have a ground issue, take your ohm meter and check for resistance level between the incoming ground wire and the black ground wire on the white igniter. It should be less than 10 ohms and close to 0. Since your fridge runs on 120 VAC the PC board is working and the main ground to the fridge is working. If you want to check that you can, do an ohm check between the incoming black ground to a known solid frame ground to the camper battery. It should be close to 0.

If that ground post has any corrosion on it, take all the wires off, sand them clean, put dielectric grease on them and bolt it back up. OK this puts the ground in good shape for the moment.

Now to start the trouble shooting. Turn the camper battery on. Leave the 120 VAC off, we are only using 12 VDC now. Using the volt meter check the incoming voltage at the fridge. If your battery is charged up, it should be in the 12.6 volt range or higher. The fridge is suppose to work down to 9.6 volts but that is really low. If your down below 12.0 volts your battery is drained or you have a supply issue. If the voltage is down this far check at battery for voltage and if it is up at 12.6 or higher then the wiring from the power supply has some resiance some where to track down.

Assuming the voltage is OK, have someone turn the fridge on inside while you are outside and listen. Since no 120VAC should be on, it will start on gas even in Auto. When the PC board turns on that yellow wire off the PC board goes hot. See the yellow wire where it says valve/relay on the top right plug.

That yellow wire goes to the gas valve and then up to the igniter. See here

The unit will go into trail for ignition and you should hear, clunk or click of the gas valve opening. Then snap, snap, snap non stop about once every 1 second. It should be snap, snap'ing for 45 seconds non stop. After 45 seconds it will shut down the gas valve, wait 2 minutes to purge, then try again. It will do this 3 times, then shut done on saftey if ignition has not started and the fault light will come on. So yes, it can be 6 minutes before the fault light comes on.

If you do not hear the snap'ing non stop, you hear the clunk,click of the gas valve, this points to the igniter area. You can do this test to sort out if it is the white igniter module. With the power off, pull the clear/silver igniter wire out of the igniter module. Turn power on, try it again and you should hear the snaping. If no snap, then your igniter is weak or bad.

Let us know if you made it past this part before we go further. What you described sounds like this part of the system.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

SUN #89
Gene,

That is a perfect picture of the burner and electrode! Have to remember that for the future when we get into trouble shooting that area. I tried to take pics of mine but the sun behind me was so bright can barley see the flame.

Thanks

John

Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #5

SUN #766
phillong
Thanks John and Gene, I will be printing both articles.

I have owned 3 Sunlines now, and I don't think I have ever seen the back of a refrigerator look as new as yours does John. Even my 2006 does not look that good.

First warm day I can get out to work on it, I will let you know how I made out.

You mentioned a couple places that this is pre-recall, is there a recall on these newer units?

Thanks again,
Phil
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillong View Post
T

You mentioned a couple places that this is pre-recall, is there a recall on these newer units?
Yes, and yours, odds are high is affected.

See here for more info. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ines-7596.html

And follow this to the Dometic site
Support - Dometic Look on the left for RV Fridge Recall and there is place where you put your serial number in and find out if your "on the list". The recall is free and any RV dealer who services Dometic can do it for you. Takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do.

If yours has the recall done, it will have this red thermal disk switch pop riveted on the chimney stack. See the 2 red wires coming from the little round unit with a little black reset button in the middle of it. There is a sheet metal panel that will need to come off not to even see this area.

Thanks for the good words on the fridge. That was my prior T2499. It is living up in MI now under cover for the winter. Forum member Viking (Roar & DW) acquired it to continue the Sunline adventure. The one I have now has more rust on the cooling tubes.

Good luck.

John