Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

SUN #6144
Cuffdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Radio Install Problems

Hi all,
I have a 1992 Saturn T-2251. It had all the wiring in place for a car stereo with speakers already in place, but the radio had bit the dust. Simple enough, right? Just replace the radio. That's what I thought too. I have done several car radios in my life and figured I could handle this one. We got a stereo (Boss 622UA) that fits our budget/needs (mp3/ipod hookup, remote control, etc, etc) and got it mounted in place. The wiring seemed straight forward once I figured out what was what. When I turn it on it has a slight low level humming in the speakers. I have had car stereos do this before and figured it could be fixed with a noise filter. Then I turned on the other breakers in the breaker box. The speakers put out a loud pulsing noise that makes you think the trailer is going to blow up. Turn off all the other breakers, except for the power converter and it is back to the low level humming noise. I am stumped. I was thinking it could be a ground issue, but I have the unit wired to the ground that is coming straight from the breaker box. It should be a solid ground hookup. I tried to consult Boss to make sure it wasn't a problem with the radio, but I can't find any wiring/installation instructions. There is a breakdown of the unit assembly in the owners manual, but that's it. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Red wire, power yellow, wire memory (must have power all the time) black, ground blue, wire used for amp or power antenna (in your case not used it is output only) that is standard aftermarket radio wiring. Sounds to me kike is turning on and off causing the noise could be caused by miss wiring or bad connections.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

SUN #6144
Thanks, mainah. I will double check the wiring again. I'm pretty confident on the radio wires. What gave me reason to pause was the trailer wiring.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

SUN #151
campin'dude
If your wiring is correct, I would verify that your speakers do not have a common ground where all the speaker grounds are tied together. That was a semi-common wiring arrangement in older vehicles and may be what you have in the trailer. Older stereos could adapt to it but the newer ones do not like it and will not work. Take a multimeter and verify there is no continuity between the speaker wiring grounds. If there is, use the existing wiring for the farthest away speaker ground and run a new one for the close one. Hope this helps!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #5

SUN #6144
Each speaker has a typical dual wire (one ground, one hot) and none are tied together in any way. The wires run directly from each speaker to the wiring cluster on the rear of the new radio. That's good info for future knowledge though. Thanks, campin'dude. Never knew that.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdog View Post
Thanks, mainah. I will double check the wiring again. I'm pretty confident on the radio wires. What gave me reason to pause was the trailer wiring.
Your on your own on that one time for the DVM!

Tags
install, radio, wiring