Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #1

SUN #196
tinybluetj
"Que"s about Que Hot water heater

We had been told previously to start up the HWH using Propane ('cause it is quicker) and then to switch it to electric to save propane. Well, we decided we were going to shower the morning after we got there, so we just started it up on elec. and left it overnight. The water never did get very hot, so we 'boosted' it with the propane.
Fast forward to the next day: we boosted the HWH with propane, and then switched to elec. We went out for a few hours, came back, and the water was again, not very hot.
Does the HWH just not work as well on electric?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Kathryn,

First time out this year we left the HW tank on electric all night and had hot water the next morning.

I was told to run it on both gas and electric to heat the water up faster.

If you left the HW tank on electric for the full time you were gone - the water should have been hot when you got back.

Does the Que have the Atwood 6 gal tank?

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #3

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Yes, 6 gal. Maybe I just did not wait long enough. I will try it again this weekend to see (we are having a mintence weekend!).
Old 05-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
Hi Kathryn,
We have never used the gas for our QUE HWH (except to make sure it works), just start it right up with electric. Our hot water is too hot to hold your hand under. We DO turn it on as soon as we pull into the site and leave it on until we leave. Maybe there is a temperature control that you need to adjust? I really should know these things, but I tend to let the DH take care of everything mechanical Also, I was wondering if your kitchen faucet works without leaking.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #5

SUN #149
nasa42a
Folks....

Our experience with our Que on the 2-week shakedown was identical with that of Quetse. In fact, 1/2 hour after turning on the electric switch we have enough hot water for showers!

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: "Que"s about Que Hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybluetj
We had been told previously to start up the HWH using Propane ('cause it is quicker) and then to switch it to electric to save propane. Well, we decided we were going to shower the morning after we got there, so we just started it up on elec. and left it overnight. The water never did get very hot, so we 'boosted' it with the propane.
Fast forward to the next day: we boosted the HWH with propane, and then switched to elec. We went out for a few hours, came back, and the water was again, not very hot.
Does the HWH just not work as well on electric?
Kathryn

Something is not working right.

Can you find the model number of the HW unit for us? We can then better tell you what to look for. I do not have the Que but know the one in my T2499 fairly well. The model sticker is outside, flip the outside panel down and look in on the right for an Atwood sticker.

The sticker looks like this

Or the model is on your manual from Sunline. They list all the model/serial numbers on a yellow sheet in your manual.

On the newer Atwoods, the electric and the propane use the same internal temp sensor. So neither gas nor electric will get any hotter. One may get there faster, but the temp will be the same and shut off the heating at the same setpoint.

Question: Have you ever just tried using the electric only? If you are always using the gas, then flipping on the electric and then never getting warmer, it could be the electric is not even working at all and the heat you have is the left over heat from the gas. The tank is well insulated and will hold heat for many hours.

Trying to help here is I can

20 minutes on electric and it should be as hot as the propane on a fairly new HW heater.

John

PS. Do you know about the HW heater special circuit breaker in the breaker box? Is it on?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #7

SUN #196
tinybluetj
JOhn, I will check the model # this weekend (we do not store it at home ) I did not know about the breaker box, but I will look in there, too! Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Kathryn

See if this helps any.

My 2004 is set up this way and my dealer told me it was new to 2004 that Sunline was setting up the circuit breaker panels this way. Again, don’t know if all are set up this way or that it actually started in 2004 or not, but Sunline kept a fairly even design theme in the Solaris models so yours may be set up this way as well.

See this pic of the tank gages and the sticker on top. It is a fairly common problem that by accident some one can flip on the electric water heater rocker switch and there be no water in the heater. Well it only takes a few minutes and if the heating element if it is not covered with water, it will literally burn a small chuck out of the element apart. It basically over heats and melts the element apart. They call this “dry firing”. And on these type heating elements, dry firing is totally unforgiving. 1 mistake and it is gone.

They added that sticker above the tank gages to caution about this. That was step 1.

Then to help this even further, step 2, they put the circuit breaker for the HW heater electric element on the bottom of the circuit break row so it is easy to find quick. See over all pic.

Here is a close up. You can see the label to the left of it calling out which breaker is which.

Now how to use this “feature”. This is how we use it.

On the way home from camp:

1.When breaking camp to come home and running down the “check list” to remember what to do for road travel, we flip the HW circuit breaker “off”.

2.When I come home from camping, I always drain the water in the TT including the HWH.

Now with the breaker off there is no chance of an accident happening to burn out my element even if the rocker switch on the tank panel if flipped on by accident. You can flip the switch, the light will turn on, but power will not be sent to the element.

At camp after water fill up.

We start setting up camp. When we want HW, when then make sure the HW tank is filled and purged of air and flowing out the faucets.

Then we flip on the circuit breaker. Now when ever we want HW, we just flip on the rocker panel switch and we are good to go in 20 minutes.

Every now and then DW forgets to turn on the breaker when setting up camp and after 40 plus minutes later I get the , Honey I have no HW?? My first trip is to the breaker panel and wamo, all fixed…. I'm a hero!! Some times the safety T stat wire wiggles loose in the heater compartment but I always check the breaker first.

It seems maybe you have not been checking the circuit breaker, it could be that

A. Well it is not on and you have an easy fix. Just turn it on!

B. Someone did not realize it and dry fired your HWH and burnt out your element.

C. You heater has other issues, the element relay is not working, loose connections on the element or element relay, for some reason no power it going to the heating element.

Hopefully it is Item A.

Just try it on purely electric and wait 30 miuntes. It your HW is ice cold, well, you have element issues B or C.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote