Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #1

SUN #637
thesteigers
Preventive Maintenance Best Practices

Hello all,

So let me start off by saying that I like lists. Particularly when it comes to stuff that isn't always the top of my ideas of enjoyment. Take for instance RV and Tow Vehicle maintenance.

So I had the idea last night when I was sitting down to put together a P&M list for our Sunline (1st TT so no existing list to work from) that perhaps this would be something that others would find helpful and that this group might be a great resource to put together a best practices list of task.

So here's what I'm suggesting. I'd like to get a definitive list of Maintenance tasks that are considered best practices and when they should be done. Then for each of those I'll open a posting where we can discuss the "right" way to do them. I'll offer to summarize all of that into a kind of final post and then link it into the main P&M list. That way in the end there is a kind of unified list of maintenance tasks and how often they should be done with links to how to actually go about doing them.

I know a lot of the how to is already covered in RV manuals and such, but I was thinking it would be convenient to have some real world experience, and we would document the procedure for as many Sunline models as people are willing to pitch in information.

Here's a starter list of P&M that I can think of:

1 - Sanatize freshwater system - 1 or 2 times a year
2 - Clean rubber roof - 1 or 2 times a year
3 - Check battery electrolite levels - ? (how often)
4 - Clean AC filters - ?
5 - Check trailer brakes - every 6 months
6 - Check trailer wheel bearings - every 6 months
7 - Check refrigerator gas flame - ?
8 - Check hot water heater gas flame - ?
9 - Check trailer tire pressures including spare - every 2 weeks

Some of these items I haven't even figure out how to do yet, and I am sure that there is a lot of stuff I am forgetting. If this seems like a fools errand please feel free to let me know or if there is a better way to get this information.

Thanks for your consideration,
--Tom

Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Other regulars

We travel a lot (0ver 15,000 tow miles this year) and our trailer gets a lot of sand blasting and virtually all forward facing surfaces get a lot of abuse

Paint under trailer, particularly iron gas lines (yearly).
Lubricate jacks (monthly probably because we travel a lot)

We also travel on a lot of rough surfaces, dirt roads, so I check the hitch bolts at least monthly. (We've cracked one hitch in our travels.)

As another preventitive mainence, I place little arrows on my gauges for their normal operating points. If the tempoerature or water pressure moves it's easy to see it.

I'm sure there's more we do, spending 10 months this year in our Sunline makes many things simply everyday.

Norm