Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

SUN #747
NancyRousseau
Preparing trailer for a seasonal site

I have a 2000 Sunline T-2475 that we have owned since 2000, and next spring we will be parking it at a seasonal site for the summer for the first time. I am wondering if there are any preventative measures I should take; e.g., putting on a new roof before I move it there. That would be expensive, but I wonder how it would be accomplished in a few years. If all goes well, I plan to leave it at this campground in Maine for many years. Can anyone tell me of their experience in getting repairs done prior to taking a seasonal site and also after they've put their unit at one?

Thanks!

Nancy

2003 Ford Expedition
Hensley Arrow
NancyRousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Nancy,

What I would do really depends on what the campground allows. Preferrably, I'd try to build like a carport for the coach that included a tapered shingled roof, so the top of the coach stays protected. Make it just a little larger than the coach itself and then it will prevent dirt from getting on the sides as well. It also provides a nice base to attach a permanent awning/room to. If they allow it, I would even try to build some walls (with cut outs for the windows and appliances).

I'm not sure why you would want to put a new roof on. It's very labor intensive and probably not needed. But if it has cracks or holes, it's a good time.

Some of the important things that I can think of are:
- Park the coach on some sort of boards/blocks with rubber mats on top. This will prevent moisture from getting up and will save the tires a little longer.

- After giving the wheels and tires a good cleaning and waxing, cover them with tire covers. Even though if you leave it there for a long time and would have to replace the tires anyway, the wheels should stay nice and the tires will be ready to go if you did need to move it.

- Make sure the tires are inflated to the max tire pressure, which is probably 50 PSI. Probably can't hurt to put a little more in.

- Might not be a bad idea to remove the spare tire, cover, and carrier, and store them somewhere (at home or in a shed, if allowed there). It will prevent theft as well as preserve it for a little longer.

- Check all the roof seams and re-coat where necessary. This is most important so it doesn't leak.

- Keep up on preventative maintenance while it's there. Many people who get coaches to use as seasonals treat it like a cottage and don't maintain anything. From simple washes to inspecting/recoating the roof seams, every little bit helps to make it last longer.

- When you leave the coach to go home, make sure to shut off the water and shut off the water heater. If it's for a couple weeks, you may want to take the water hose off and drain it, and you could store it inside if you want. When they sit outside for a long period of time in the sun with no water movement, the sun bakes the hose and the water starts smelling and tasting funny. You could leave it out, but make sure the hose is fully drained.

- Put up any awnings when you leave to go home, and it might be a good idea to drop the front rock guard as well, especially if it isn't covered with the overhang of a structure.

- Drain all holding tanks after each visit, and if you're going to be away for a couple weeks, "wand it" as well.

- You could leave your AC or heat on depending on the time of year, just so it doesn't get so hot/cold in there. The AC just helps keep the humidity down, which can lead to problems over time.

Jon

-

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #3

SUN #747
NancyRousseau
Thanks so much, Jon! I appreciate all those tips.

Nancy
2003 Ford Expedition
Hensley Arrow
NancyRousseau is offline   Reply With Quote