Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

SUN #6745
Gary A is an unknown quantity at this point
painting advice

I was just cleaning up the exterior of my T-2753/2003 which is new to me and in the process of cleaning off the grime, in one section I overscrubbed (Type A....) and some of the paint came off, so now I have a section on my door side that looks like either bad zits or leprosy.
The question is, can a spot repair be done on the paint, and how?

Unfortunately, I think the trailer was never moved (or used, the inside was dead perfect...) by the previous owner and the exterior was tough, but I have most of it back to clean, clean, clean and shiny. I just have my screw up area to fix now and it drives me nuts to look at it.

FYI, this exterior clean up project will be 3 days non-stop. The moral of the story is clean it every year and you won't have to take a vacation to clean it.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Try as I could I never found a perfect match for the paint. I came close but it is still slightly darker. What I ended up doing was removing the tail light and cutting a small section of the metal off and had it analyzed for a color match.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Gary,

Your 2003 also has a coating on the siding called Krystal Kote. It is on the white siding that does not have the long side decals or the gold trim. They are plan painted aluminum. The coating helps resits dents and scratches and it does help. The hail storm I was in, tested it...

Getting a color match could be tough. There are a lot of shades of white.

As Mainah states, if you can find something to take off and take to the paint store they may come real close to it.

If you really want to/need to get the paint off to later paint the spot, acetone will dissolve the coating and take the paint off too back to shinny aluminum. If you do this method, may want to mask a clean break line and use the acetone on a rag to not touch anything other than the spot you want to clean off.

I'm trying to think of what you can simply take off to go the the paint store but coming up empty. Maybe if the vinyl strip in one of the screw cover inserts matches good, they can come off easy and go back on easy too.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote