Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

SUN #11058
Keith is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint

Greetings:
I am now the proud owner of 1993 21' T2053. The floor seems solid, no evidence of leaks. I am taking it next week to a dealer to insure it stays leak free by removing the corner molding, retaping, and then replacing the molding. I am going to paint her. I've watched all kinds of videos from using spray paint in a can, to pros who can really handle a spray gun. I am not a pro and would prefer just to paint with a brush. I have painted parts of my house (vinyl siding) with a brush and it came out great. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Keith

Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

SUN #4799
Dano is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Keith, I bought a 1984 T-1450 6 years ago that needed lots of repair and painting.
The hardest part was stripping off the old decal decorative stripes on all four sides.
Like you, I researched DIY ways to do it and decided to go with latex paint using an electric spray gun I bought at Lowe's for around $100. The most important thing is you have to put a good coat of primer on first. Also make sure to remove any silicone caulk or sealant from all areas to be painted as it won't stick.
So far the paint job still looks real good and I kept the left over paint for occasional touch up when needed..
Good luck, Dano
Dano

Old 01-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have high expectations, I think the brush paint is going to fall quite short of them. Unlike vinyl siding, this aluminum (and the paint on it) is very smooth, even with the Krystal Kote coating on it, so it'll show every brush stroke.

Sometimes you can find paint that self levels or has a texture, but that'll be expensive. And it will be hard to apply on the corrugated aluminum without having lots of runs.

Can I ask why you want to paint it?
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #4

SUN #11058
Paint

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I'll be purchasing a good spray gun, practice some on my barn, and take a shot at doing the trailer.
We need to paint because of fading that has occurred. There is one ding in it near the front door. It actually appears as if their may be some separation between the shell and the frame. After that repair is made, I know I'll need to paint a small area. I could probably get away with a good cleaning over the majority of the unit, but there is peeling in the stripes and the protective coverings at access points are covered in rust.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

SUN #10739
Pondview is an unknown quantity at this point
this is my first time posting here but so I hope the picture shows. This past summer I painted my sun line camper using sher-cryl from sherwin Williams. I rolled it on with a 4” roller then I back brushed it with a dry brush. It turned out really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7D83D23E-7EC6-4572-ADE3-F43470E41BB4.jpg (82.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Rattle can of primer then the same with color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4255 (1024x768).jpg (97.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:30 AM   #7

SUN #11058
Thanks. I'm going to give this easy method a shot. I'm DownEast. You?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #8

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe Mainah painted just the red stripe?

From my experience doing all the siding with rattle can paint would result in blotchy spots, not to mention your finger would be wore out from holding the button down so long. You can rent paint sprayers from paint stores. Once the tedious task of prepping everything is done you could paint it in one day easy.

My goal is to spray paint my entire T2370 this season (I have a paint sprayer).
Old 02-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #9

SUN #11058
Thank you. I've got some good size painting jobs to do at home this spring so I can see myself purchasing a fairly good gun.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #10

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
I believe Mainah painted just the red stripe?

From my experience doing all the siding with rattle can paint would result in blotchy spots, not to mention your finger would be wore out from holding the button down so long. You can rent paint sprayers from paint stores. Once the tedious task of prepping everything is done you could paint it in one day easy.

My goal is to spray paint my entire T2370 this season (I have a paint sprayer).
Yeah I did in the past I did paint a large section of both ends they were covered with decals from good sam etc that was a air powered paint gun and a good deal of prep including some filler to repair a little incident I inherited from the PO that kind of used inch longer screws than necessary to mount a TV arm. The decal adventure was a treat getting the old ones off,heat gun scotch brights and other methods of mass destruction, two cans of primer two weeks of newsprint, two rolls tape, 3 cans of red.