Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
one tire has feathering

We just got back from a trip and there were two longer trips prior to that. Going over a few things I felt both tires and one is severely feathered.

The outer side wheel weight is still in place and tire pressure has been maintained all summer. I'm wonder if there was an inside wheel weight that dislodged?
I'm not an expert on tires but know enough that we should be using proper trailer tires for trailers.

Do you guys think it might have been a thrown wheel weight? Or, something else? These tires are only about 2 years old and tons of tread. Problem is now, I might have to replace this tire (might), unless just for shorter trips I should be fine.

Just an after thought: I had the springs re-arched last year. Maybe the axle shifted and is out of alignment?

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Generally balance will cause cupping, balanced properly there are usually weights on both sides. Some tire balancing dependent on the wheel and tire may not require a weight on either the outside or the inside so to answer your question maybe. Of the hundreds of tires I have balanced some (maybe a hand full) required no weights. It is possible that the axle alignment is off you have a picture of the tire maybe?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

SUN #6633
Fletch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is often caused by a combination of improper alignment settings, such as excessive toe and caster. You might want to check your wheel bearings, but that could give you a vibration while driving.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Jerry,

Pictures will really help in this case. At the moment I'm not thinking this is a tire balance issue but need to see what you have. Most trailer tires are not balanced. They should be IMHO but they are not. I have seen trailer tires wear great with no balancing and burn tread like crazy due to alignment. The wear on the tire if looked at closely can help point to a condition which may cause it.

Do you notice the trailer shifting left to right any while towing down the road in the rear mirror?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #5

SUN #2097
What can happen to an imbalanced tire it can completely leave the ground when the excessive weight is at the top this will cause cupping or if you like flat spots in the tire. Add an axle with no shocks and a small tire (spins faster) it becomes more of a problem. I just replaced the tires on mine and I can assure you they were not in balance it's cheap insurance to balance the tires if you want them to last. If the axle is not 90 degrees to the trailer it should ware all the tires on that axle and with a single axle should make the trailer crab left or right. If the axle is bent up or down in the middle it can effect the camber on both tires. If the axle is bent fore or aft it can effect the toe angle. If the axle is bent on the outer end it will effect the camber angle on the one side. A picture really would help.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #6

SUN #6257
Pics

Been a wee tad busy. Hadn't had time to take those pics by finally, here they are.
I might add it wasn't easy to capture the true nature of the feathering. Hope you guys can see what I see and feel.
BTW It's only on the outer sider of one tire. The center and other side of the same tire is fine. The other tire is fine, only this outer edge. Also, upon a closer look it looks like the adjacent the second (next) row of tread is slightly feathering too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1127.jpg (50.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1128.jpg (57.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1130.jpg (38.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1129.jpg (44.5 KB, 1 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

SUN #2097
I'm going with balance that's the "cupping I was talking about. It does not look to be scraping the edge like alignment would do. What are you running for tire pressure?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #8

SUN #6257
I was running 45lbs earlier but upped them to 50lbs. (per sidewall)

I already have an appointment at a spring & alignment shop in just over a week. It wouldn't hurt to check everything-chassis while it's in there.

My only concern is if it did throw a weight no big deal, it happens. but even with a rebalance can I still continue to use that tire? (I'm thinking safety on the highway). Lots of tread on both. I'd hate to cough up for new tires, because of one.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #9

SUN #2097
Yeah you can run it but it will never ware even. As bad as it is it probably was never balanced and what ever weights that were on it just made it worse. 50 PSI is what you need the ware patterns don't show signs of tire pressure issues.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #10

SUN #597
henryj
Jerry, check this old thread on balancing beads for another take on balancing.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #11

SUN #6257
I'll definitely look into to that. So simple it's silly, kind of self leveling, self balancing as you go. First, I'll check the axle at the alignment shop and I'll actually ask them about that. They might support Dyno Beads or poo-poo them. Either way I want the axle checked. Yes, I hear you about a new tire Rats !!!!!

Also, just discovered a misfire on my 4.6 V8. Borrowed my son's digital diagnostic meter and it reveled a misfire on cylinder number 6. I thought it was just a coil pack but I saw moisture on the coil pack boot when I pulled it out so may have a blown head gasket or worse, pinhole in the head. (do one, do both)
Good grief, going to be an expensive fall around here.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #12

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
my $.02

I'm way outta you guys' league on tech issues but here's my experience:
I bought 4 new tires for our 1950 2 yrs ago & used the beads to balance them
This spring after making 2 cross country trips w/ those tires I noticed some wear (cupping, feathering ??)on the inside tread of one of the tires. I ordered a new replacement & had local mechanic mount it. Alerted him that it contained the balancing beads & he said he re-installed them in the new tire.
I mentioned this after the fact to a very good friend who does just about all the tech, mechanical jobs I need done. He said he'd previously noticed the uneven wear on the one tire when he last had the trailer on his lift, & adjusted (replaced ?) that wheel bearing which he thought caused the damage. YMMV

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #13

SUN #6257
final update

I had an appointment today for the spring/alignment shop and showed them that one tire.

They put it on the rack and to be able to check the chassis alignment they had to make sure the bearings were snug and in good shape. He first noticed both bearings were a bit on the loose side. I noticed that too last spring but thought it was by design. All 4 races and all bearings were clean, had no marks, scratches or bluing. So I was comfy just inspecting greasing and torqueing.

He thinks the slight wobble was taking place on each wheel due to sloppy bearing and that wobble may have been enough to cause the one wheel to throw a weight...hence the feathering.. These tires were brand new 2 years ago when we bought the trailer and there is slight suspicion that those wheels were never balanced or not done properly.
Then he checked the chassis alignment and all is fine.

Bottom line: there were no trade name markings or numbers indicating who made them or part number. We both agreed that they had to be cheapo Chinese bearings and races. Either the races or bearings were too thick or too thin and not allowing a proper torque.

Next spring they'll install next proper brand names bearings and races. I'll use these tires until the end.
Cheap bearings cause the wheel to wobble which in turn cause a wheel weight or two to fly off which in turned cause the feathering.

That's the news from our house....over to you for the weather report.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 09-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #14

SUN #2097
Wheel bearing adjustment is fairly crude on these axles because there is only one hole in the axle for a cotter pin and a big nut so two flats will be too tight and two flats will be too loose. A little slack will not cause any issues there needs to be clearance in order to allow the grease to reach the bearings. I just replaced the tires on mine no marking as to where they came from either. The last ones did come from China and after 11 years they did start to crack inside the tread but other than that they were wearing fine and still have a good deal of tread. If the bearings look fine I would not worry about them a sure sign is bright metal on a rag when you wipe them off a little is too much metal none is fine.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:13 AM   #15

SUN #6257
I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago but (forgot?)
I took the trailer to a spring shop that I have dealt with for years.

He started off by checking the wheel bearing for top-to-bottom slop (not side to side slop)
He found excessive slop so pulled the hub to inspect/tighten the assembly.

Because we both "feel" that these are Chinese bearings from the previous wheel packing years ago, he thinks they are the wrong bearing. Again, there were no part numbers on the bearings and we feel that either the races were too shallow or the bearing cage is too shallow or too thick depending on perspective.
In other words because they were not factory original in our opinion the perfect torque was unobtainable. When he tighten to his perfect torque the castle nut and cotter pin hole would not match up. Yet the bearing and race surfaces were in great shape

So, the long and short of this was the bearing was naturally too loose as time grew on. The tire wobbles and over time it wobbled so much at higher speeds that it might have shaken the weights off. Both tires were severally out of balance. The curb side obviously was worse. (Higher speeds are defined as 50 to 60, maybe 65, nothing more.)

I'm taking it back next spring for both hubs to have all new inners and outer bearings and races to be replaced. These guys know how to measure what's needed and install a more factory original size.
I'm safe for now and we have our last trip for the year this Sunday. My wife and I are heading off to Algonquin for a week to see the fall colors, no kids or grandkids.

By chance, would you guys have any references for the correct part numbers for the T1350?

Jerry & Debbie
Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #16

SUN #2097
They are very common bearings they should be numbers on the bearing races and rollers any good bearing outfit can tell exactly what they are by measurement actually NAPA should have a kit with bearings, races and seals for your camper.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #17

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like your mechanics have everything under control. Rely on their ability but keep a close eye on how tires wear from now on.

Good you found the problem before it became a much larger and now have a good bearing for your next trip.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #18

SUN #2097
I believe the spindle threads are 24 per inch. The castle nut has 6 passions that the cotter pin will line up in. So on matter what the mechanic does he will never get it closer than about .007" That does not sound like much but by the time you move out to edge of the tire it becomes noticeable. So It can be exactly right too loose or too tight by 007”. In the case of tapered bearings there has to be clearance or the grease will not lube the bearings .007 is not excessive so if they can feel play it’s is close enough. At 14 I want into the automotive trade everything had tapered wheel bearings and I probably did thousands so I guess what I am saying loose wheel bearings within reason will not cause any problems. It can be said that even a Timken bearing most likely is going to be made in China these days. Bearing fitment is pretty exact so basically if it fits it’s the right one. So I guess what I am saying I doubt that your tires were ever balanced. This is most likely what you have I believe the spindle on your axle is a 1"X1" Trailer Parts.com #: