Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #1

SUN #215
Poor Man Campin'
No Time for No Electric!

After reviewing past posts here, I've come to the conclusion my converter is toast; but I'll ask in case I'm missing something.

2 weekends ago, we went (dry) camping with the kids and everything worked fine; and we had a great time! (Twins were good!)

Went out tonight to get organized for fishing trip this weekend with Dad and had no lights and the converter was making a funny noise, and the fan wasn't running. Converter is American CS6000 as shown in previous posts. There is no battery disconnect switch, I just switch wires when I change batteries. Here's what I've found:

1. 30 amp fuse under front bed is blown; I can't put another fuse in it w/o it blowing.

2. All exterior trailer lights (marker, signals, brake) work when hooked to my truck and truck is running, but no interior lights.

3. W/o removing the underbelly of the trailer, I cannot locate any exposed, rubbed, or shorted wires. I do not have a volt meter to check wires and circuits, but suspect that if I can get that fuse to hold, I would at least have interior lights.

4. We had a thunderstorm this week, that tripped the GFI in the garage where the trailer is plugged into. No breakers in the trailer were tripped, but that 30 amp fuse was blown.

A. Could this have been struck by lightning?
B. How can I tell?
C. Would my Homeowners insurance cover this as it was plugged into household current, or RV insurance if it does turn out to be caused by lightning?

I'm calling my repair shop in the morning to see if he can get me in on Friday before I leave Saturday morning.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Brad

Poor Man Campin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: No Time for No Electric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Man Campin'

1. 30 amp fuse under front bed is blown; I can't put another fuse in it w/o it blowing.

2. All exterior trailer lights (marker, signals, brake) work when hooked to my truck and truck is running, but no interior lights.

4. We had a thunderstorm this week, that tripped the GFI in the garage where the trailer is plugged into. No breakers in the trailer were tripped, but that 30 amp fuse was blown.

-Brad
Brad

I do not know your exact TT setup, but do know the CS6000.

The CS6000 has 2 small 30 amp on the top of the fuse area. I assume they are intact or may be blown. They are green in color. They feed he 12 VDC buss bar from the battery.

Now you say you trip the 30 amp fuse under the bed. Well I do not know your TT enough but that 1 30 amp fuse sounds like the one from the battery to the converter.

If you pull out the 2, 30 amp fuses in the CS6000 and then try the 30 amp under the bed, well if this will not blow, then there is not a wiring short between battery and converter. If it does blow, it points to the wire between the battery and the convector.

If it does not blow the 30 amp under the bed and does when the 2, 30’s are in the converter, will you have a good dead short somewhere to ground. The converter may be toast.

American does sell the replacement convertor electricl baord that is suppose to drop in. You have to call them but they do sell just the power converter part and no need to re-buy the entire box. However you will end up with the CS6000XL as they no longer make the CS6000 or have many parts for it

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:03 AM   #3

SUN #215
Poor Man Campin'
Thanks John; All fuses are good in the box. I didn't think about pulling them and then installing the fuse under the bed. I'll have to get more and try that after work today. I'll let you know how I make out tonight.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #4

SUN #215
Poor Man Campin'
Re: No Time for No Electric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
If it does not blow the 30 amp under the bed and does when the 2, 30’s are in the converter, will you have a good dead short somewhere to ground. The converter may be toast.John
The converter is toast! I went and bought extra fuses and a voltmeter. Replacing the fuses in the box, once again blew the one under the bed. I removed the Hot wire from the converter and checked the wire at the converter and had the same voltage there as I did at the battery.

After a little thought, I removed the Yellow charging wire from the bus bar and re-attached the Hot wire to the converter. I can now run on the 12 volt system and be perfectly happy! I do have to replace the electrical board, but that can wait until I get back; I'm going fishing!

John, if you happen to have a link, phone #, or contact for American, that would be great! If you discarded it, I'll look for one after this weekend. Thanks for your help and your explanations in previous post! Have a great weekend!

-Brad
Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Brad

Here you go http://www.americandirect.org/

The new replacement will be a better power converters and better fans. You will be glad you upgraded.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote