Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

SUN #3575
Musikaldave is an unknown quantity at this point
Never caulk in 100 degree weather!

Just a tip of advice; I was caulking my new clearance lights in today on the back of the trailer and the caulk set up in less than 10 minutes, leaving me with no time to clean the beads up. As such, once the caulk dried, I couldn't get the lenses to snap on properly due to too much caulk against the edge of the lamp.

We had a very nice thunderstorm that came through a few hours later. After the storm I decided to use a utility knife to cut the caulk out so the lenses would snap on and while doing that I broke one of the lenses trying to get it to fit on. Good thing I kept the old lenses.

Anyhow, I just finished getting all the lenses in place, re-caulked the lights and went to test them; only one of them are lighting up. They all worked before I caulked them the first time! LOL!

So now I get to wait for the caulk to dry, remove it a second time, pull all the lights off again and find the loose wire and refit it. Fun, fun fun!

After that I get to put the lenses back on and caulk it a 3rd time!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #2

SUN #3354
UPbuilder is an unknown quantity at this point
Well that stinks. I find it best to work the caulk as I go, typically only laying down about a foot at a time then working it with a wet finger. If doing marker lights then one at a time. Depends on which caulk you're using too, Proflex skins over real quick.
UPbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote