Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

SUN #6661
kjg765 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with screws on fusebox lid

Just trying to take the lid off the fuse box on my Solaris T-1950. Fuse box mounted on hitch A-Frame by battery. I am pretty sure screws are not Phillips or straight slot screw heads. Could they be torx or square head screws? Please help?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a post JohnB did about this issue, it should help you out.

Quote:
Hi Cindy,

This is what is in the plastic covered box on the frame header behind the battery.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

While you are in that box, there is also a 30 amp charging fuse from the truck. Check that it is OK, before you close it up again. If that fuse is blown, the battery will not charge from the truck when towing.

The auto resetting circuit breaker or connections in that box are suspect until proven OK. Make sure the battery disconnect is off and that the shore line cord is unplugged before servicing anything in that box.

Now getting into that box...this is what Henry was talking about. There are 6 very tiny Philips heads screws deep inside the cover. Dirt gets in the plastic cover holes and makes it difficult to even get to the screws. A small straight blade screw driver or drill bit by hand has been known to dig it out. You then have to find a long shank very small Phillips to reach down in there. The head of the screw is only about 3/32 in dia. and less than a 1/16" dia screw.

I got fed up with those screws once I got them out, taping the screw driver head to help set the screw driver and then pushing in hard while unscrewing to not strip the head has been effective most times.

I replaced them with I think a no 8 x 1" long sheet metal screw. Stainless Steel.

Then they do not go deep inside but bottom out on the cover

I also cleaned the box and wrapped a strip of 3M 33 electrical tape around the split line to help keep moisture out.

Hope this helps

John
Reese HP trunnion bar hitch with HP DC

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #3

SUN #6661
kjg765 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you,
I had found this just after I posted my question.