Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

SUN #7928
RandyJ55 is an unknown quantity at this point
My battery charger does not work

Hi everyone:
I have a 1995 Sunline Solaris that I bought used last year and I have a ventline charging unit which is supposed to display the battery condition, water levels and which can used to test the battery. This unit does not work neither does my battery charge. I would like to resolve this issue. I pulled off the panel above the stove which also has switches for the waterpump, hood fan and hood light. This cover is marked Ventline 9042. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement for this part. I have to charge my battery when the generator is on and battery is disconnected from the RV. I can use the battery when charged when the generator is off . This is getting monotonous, having no way to charge the battery with the generator as recommended. I would appreciate any help to resolve this issue.
Thanks,
Randy

Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
That panel above the stove is not a battery charger. The lights are just indicators to show battery voltage, grey tank level, black tank level, and freshwater level. It does not test the battery, it is just a crude voltmeter.

Somewhere you have a converter that runs off 120 volts AC when on "shore power" and converts it to 12 volts DC to run 12 volt things and charge the battery. You have a panel somewhere with circuit breakers for the 120 volts AC and fuses for 12 volts DC. Usually in the same box with the circuit breakers and fuses you will find the converter. You also probably will find 2 40 amp fuses. They are reverse polarity fuses and are often the first place to look whan the converter stops putting out voltage.

Here is a picture of my converter, yours may be similar ... or not:

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

SUN #7928
Thank you.

I believe that you are right. I wonder what would cause this meter to fail at the same time that I battery fails to charge with a generator.I will take a closer look at my electric panel to see if there is a problem that I missed.
Thanks for the insight.
Randy
Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Something else to consider as well. Take your VOM (hand held test volt meter) and check your battery voltage level before you start charging and during your charging. (VOM stands for Volt Ohm Meter) You might just have an old battery that gave up the ghost offering too high a resistance to accept a charge or an open circuit inside the battery resulting with the same end result. It only takes one bad cell or a broken header that joins two cells.

The question remains, as Gene suggested, is it a blown fuse? Or a bad battery or a bad battery charging circuit?
Your voltage test meter can be your best friend

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
There is no difference what 120 volt source you are plugged into the results are the same they both relay on the converter/charger being driven by line voltage.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

SUN #7928
MagneTek 6300 Series Converter

I have two deep cycle rv batteries that are under warranty and my converter does not seem to charge these batteries when the generator is running. I have checked the 2- 30 amp fuses that are located near the battery near the very front of my 1995 Sunline Solaris and they both are good. I can run all of my AC circuits when the generator is on, but when the generator is running, the battery seems to discharge. I do have a voltmeter, and believe that the meter reads 11.0 volts when the generator is running . I want to be able to fix this issue and will try whatever tests that are necessary to get to the root of the problem, even if replacing the power center is required. Thanks for helping me to resolve these issues.
Randy
Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

SUN #6257
here's an isolated test

Disconnect both batteries. Put the volt meter on each battery and check the voltage. That's the static voltage.

When both batteries are hooked up and the charger is allegedly charging, that's the dynamic voltage.

11.0 volts is too low. I'm thinking you might have a generator issue. Check to see if there is a setting or if you generator is capable of charging deep cycle gels. Yet I have seen many generators and car alternator that will definitely charge deep cycle gels.

If you have a regular normal battery charger that you get from automotive stores try charging your battery from that charger and check your voltages as you go. Your dynamic voltage during any charge cycle should be between 13.8 to 14.2 VDC (I have seen as high as 15 VDC) The fact is, you need to see a voltage higher than your existing static charge. That test tells you that you charger is working

Sounds like your generator is not producing at the 12 volt circuit.
Fuse? Bad ground? busted wire inside? Hung up brush?

Go upstream first and check for 12 volts (or higher) right at the 12 volt DC output. If you have good DC voltage there then start looking further down stream at a connection to where your volatge might drop, broken/weak connection.
One test at a time

Jerry & Debbie
Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

SUN #7928
Jerry and Debbie:
My normal battery charger will charge both of my 12 volt batteries from an extension cord while the generator is running. I will try testing the voltage out from the converter. My generator is putting out the correct voltage but the problem is somewhere between the converter and the battery. I live 20 miles from my second property so I will be able to conduct these tests and provide feedback when done. Thank you for your help.
Randy
Old 06-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe your charger is new enough to be a switching supply if so then there are 2 30 amp fuses fuses in side of the charger.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

SUN #7928
After conducting some test, i discovered that my Manetek 6300 series converter is not putting out any volts to my battery. I just purchased an upgrade for my converter which i will install when it arrives. My batteries will still charge with a battery charger but I need to be able to run some of the electronic equipment which is not functioning now like the stereo, the monitor, and the fan for the stove. I bought a Parallax Converter/Charger Power Center 55 Amp Replacement. I will let you know the outcome of this project. Thanks for all of your input.
Randy
Old 07-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #11

SUN #6257
That proves that your batteries are fine. Check one thing off your trouble shooting list
I knew there was something silly that wasn't working and looks like you found the problem. Kudos to you. Yes, keep us posted

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #12

SUN #7928
I installed my 55 amp upgrade for the Magnetex 6300 converter , which was OEM. The wires to the 12 volt battery from the charger is reading 13.2 volts. Thisw upgrade is from analog to digital and I was able to use the same housing for this new converter by drilling out the rivets and extracting all of the contents. The only issue that I have is that I believe that the wire for the lights was done wrong. I currently have no lights and checked all of the fuses and wires connected into the circuit board. I'm not sure what happened but will accept any input. All other circuits and appliances work but I suspect that a black wire was hooked up wrong somewhere on the breaker side of the fuse box.
Thanks ,
Randy