Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #41

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Another thing I just read about filling LP tanks is that tanks should be purged or moisture that may cause freezing of safety features. There are certain steps to take when filling a tank for the first time, like pulling a vacuum to remove moisture before pumping LP in. It was said that even LP has moisture in it. This now makes more sense to me about venting while filling. In my mind the venting will allow old, moisture laden, gas to vent while filling the tank with fresh, less moisture, LP. Leaving the old LP gas in the tank will keep past moisture amounts that will be added to new moisture amounts and increase the risk of explosions and/or damage to operating systems with liquid where only gas should be.

I had remembered some tanks had a frost around the vent hole. I shrugged this off as from humidity in the air around the tank but now feel it was moisture inside the tank.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #42

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
A good way to see how full your tank is,is to pour warm water down the side it will frost at the liquid line.Frosty tanks are pretty normal, A/C unit in your car/truck will do the same thing for the same reason. By the time the liquid propane is gone so is the pressure but unless you open the valve there is no moisture introduced to the tank. The frost you see is the moisture in the air not in the tank. Now if there is a leak yes it will frost like crazy at the leak that is why people filling tanks ware gloves there is a huge amount of energy being released as a vapor.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #43

SUN #1830
mainah, What I read said there is water/moisture in the LP and that is how it is introduced into the tank. LP settles to the bottom of the tank, water/moisture rises. If not bleeding the water/moisture content rises even more with each refill. That is why bleeding of the old gas that has higher concentrations of moisture is a good thing.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #44

SUN #2097
Well as far as I know it's not an issue I have never seen a tank that was rusted from the inside out. I guess one could open the valve on an empty tank and turn it upside down. Water is heavier than LP so it's going to stay on the bottom and oil and water don't mix so I can't see how bleeding it is going to do any thing for the moisture content. When a tank is new they must be purged but the ideal is to remove the air to allow room for the propane gas. The expanding propane will force the air out so the method is to put in enough propane to force the air out from the tank through the bleeder once propane gas is ejected from the bleeder then the process of filling the tank can continue.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #45

SUN #1830
Non-the-less, the moisture is in the LP. They use separators to remove it and antifreeze to control it according to conditions.

Since manufacturers improved the filling process by installing a overfill safety float valve, then why still have the vent valve? A duplication of features and money. Perhaps the use of the vent is why you haven't seen the inside of the tanks rust.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #46

SUN #2097
Yes they do and house hold devices all so have water traps a little “T” in the line but not in an RV I think the traps are more for natural gas. The vent valve has to be in a propane tank or it would be impossible to fill the tank that is sole purpose even the old tanks had one. When the tank is empty the liquid propane as soon as it is introduced expands to the point of full pressure (it boils as soon as the pressure is reduced) it does not take but a little bit for this to happen so if it has no place to go the pump will stop and all you would have in the tank is maybe a pound of propane. Opening the valve allows the pressure to escape and the filling to continue. The early tanks had no float so it was entirely possible to completely fill the tank with liquid propane. This could produce disastrous results as any liquid in the lines would instantly expand as soon as the pressure was released from the lines in a big fire ball. The addition of the float stopped the flow of liquid propane into the tank to make it impossible to over fill it. The float only reacts to liquid and works just like a toilet float.