Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #1

SUN #763
MOKID
LP Gas Question

As I stand facing the tongue of my trailer, on the left side, behind the tires is a sticker that reads: Prep For Low Pressure LP Gas Applianace Only. I assume this is for an ouside grill as there is a bracket on the side of the trailer that I assume is for an ouside grill or table.

My question is this. Under the trailer by the above mentioned label is a 1/2" gas line that is capped off. What does one need to do to be able to use that gas line for a outside grill. My grill has a hose that is made to attach straight to a LP Tank. I am a little confused on how to rig this so that I don't have to carry an extra LP tank as I already have 2 30Lb tanks on the trailer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Sunline offered an optional grille to be hooked to that line. It was a low pressure grille, and came with appropriate quick connects.

If your existing grille already has a regulator built into the line, you can't hook it directly to that low pressure pipe on the trailer. A grille that has a regulator on the propane line needs to be hooked directly to a tank so that you're putting high pressure into the regulator which then steps it down for the grille to use. If you hook the grille's regulator to the low pressure line, it further reduces the pressure to an unuseable level.

If you have a low pressure grille that does not have a regulator on the line, you can get male and female quick disconnects designed for propane. One goes on the hose, the other on the end of the pipe. You may also have to purchase some adapters to go from the NPT of the pipe to whatever the quick connect wants, and an adapter to fit the hose to the other quick connect.

Optionally, you might want to spend the extra money and get a quick connect system on your grille so you can remove the line that hooks to a tank when at home, and have a custom hose made up with quick connects on both ends.

Your local welding supply shop will have variety of connectors and adapters for propane. A full service propane dealer may be able to help as well. A refill place won't have the resources to help.

Or, you can install a fitting on the TT's propane system that is inline between the tanks and the regulator. This gives a high pressure fitting that can then be connected to most anything. I installed one of those for extra flexibility but find that I have only used it once or twice in 7 years.

I have a Coleman camp stove and a Coleman "Road Trip" grille that both need high pressure straight from the tank as do my propane lanterns. I have a variety of hoses and manifolds that I carry that allows me to set up a large outdoor kitchen with adequate lighting. But I will readily admit that it is usually easier me to carry an extra tank or two so I can place the kitchen where I need it and not right next to the TT.

In summary, you need to figure out what you have in the way of grilles and what you want to hook up to what. Or let this determine what you purchase in the way of a grille.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #3

SUN #763
MOKID
Thanks Steve. I knew someone would have the answer. I have a Coleman Grill which has a regulator built into it so I will probably just continue to carry and extra tank with me. I was a little hesitant in cooking that close to the trailer but was not aware of the High Pressure and Low Pressure that you described. You did a very good job in explaining it. Thanks again.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote