Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

SUN #1028
harbortj
looking for directions

Hi folks,

We just bought a 94 T1700 last week and just starting to work thru it all
(first trailer).
The sale was a strain, a fire sale and so the seller was no help.

So I was hoping someone could point me to forum to explain the lighting the pilot. I read the directions and have a propane heater in my garage but this still made no sense.

Also, is the water heater electric or propane.

Last, what is up with refrigerator fans- are there hot spots in the frig and do I need one of these things.

Thanks,

P.S. took picture of the propane control but I have no idea how to post a picture here.
Sorry.

Searching for "Camp Somewhere"
Jimmy Buffet said it's always 5:00
but didn't give the location.
harbortj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Tim,

Being a 94, I would think the WH is strictly LPG. If you can see the other side of it, from inside the camper, you can see if there is a 120V wire going to it.

The fridge fans that go inside the fridge, are to help circulate the cool air. They aren't necessary, but do help. We just bought a new roof vent cover for ours and it's got a built-in solar panel. There is a fan, that mounts behind the fridge and it is to help circulate the warm air out of that area. JohnB did a post about the benefits of these type fans. That thread is here: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=3606

As far as posting pictures, there's a wonderful thread about it here: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...opic.php?t=179

Hope this info helps..

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW: Congrats on the new addition to your family!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

SUN #1028
harbortj
thanks for the prompt reply.

I will go and find the water heater tomorrow in the morning and look as to how to post a picture.

I am taking this out on our "maiden voyage" next week-end and that will get me motivated into figuring this all out.

Take care,
I will be back.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #5

SUN #1028
harbortj
1994 sunline T1700

This is my first try at posting a picture like this- (I think it is big enought to see the details.

This is the controller. If anyone knows of a posting that explains how to start or would do so would be great.

Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tim

The lighting instructions are on page 4.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/atwood1.pdf

You have what they call the White Rogers gas valve setup. I myself have not lit that model HW heater but the service manual describes the standard gas pilot setup.

Once you turn the knob to pilot, you have to hold it in to allow gas to flow, then using a long thin grill lighter light the pilot, wait 10 to 30 seconds for the thermocouple to warm up and you can release the pilot button. Then if burning well on pilot you can turn the know to on. Make sure water is in the unit as after a short time the main heating tube will get too hot.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #7

SUN #1028
harbortj
Hey John,

That is a great help. i made a camper instructions folder and made this a favorite.

One last question,

I added some water (guessing 10 gallons with a little bleach) in the tank last night and figured out where the
"close / drain" valve is but.............

does water go in automatically into the water heater or how do I get water in it?

I want to test the water heater/furnace and stove before we leave Thursday.

thanks again for the assistance.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbortj

I added some water (guessing 10 gallons with a little bleach) in the tank last night and figured out where the
"close / drain" valve is but.............

does water go in automatically into the water heater or how do I get water in it?
Hi Tim,

Does water go in the heater automatically, well not necessarily. Since you have a used Coach we and you do not know if what is in the piping to the HW heater is original or not.

Some have what is called a by pass kit so when you winterize it bypasses the HW heater. There are a few versions of the bypass kit with the 2 most popular being. The by pass kit help prevent from having to use 6 galloon of anitfreeze as you can drain the HW heater

1. A 3 way 1/4 turn valve on the inlet side that selects where the water goes. Then on the outlet there is a check valve that only lets water flow out of the HW heater. So in bypass the water does not enter at the bottom and when it reaches the check it gets set and the water goes around it.

2. The second type has qty 2, 3 way 1/4 turn valve. One on in and out. Then you just flip the valves to bypass.

Here are 2 pics of the type 1 I described

To make sure the HW heater is filling, if the pump has stopped as it met full pressure, shut off pump, open a faucet and bleed out the pressure. Then go to the HW heater and burp the safety relief valve. Heads up, water may come out. If it is bone dry, you can confirm by pulling the drain plug, but then no water is entering the HW heater. Look for the by pass kit.

Good luck

John

PS. If is good to rinse out the HW water heater in the spring. You need a thin water nozzle to go p in the drain hole and switch it all around to get the debris out (Minerals etc) I hvae a pic of my flusher somewhere, looking now.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #9

SUN #89
Here is the flush nozzle. I bought mine at Camping World but they are at many RV parts places.

Also just so you know for the future, when your pics are over 640 pixels wide, it make the screen scroll and all the text goes way over to the right. You can see when you read my replay above your extra wide pic did this.

640 x 480 pics view well on the forum. If you need to a close up, then you have to create it as a separate pic zoom in, still not going above the 640 width to not force the screen scroll. Again, just so you know for the future.

John

Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #10

SUN #1028
harbortj
John,

You have been a great help.

It has been raining hard today so I will review this tonight and do all this tomorrow. The RV place is on the way home so that works out good to get the hose attachment.

the good news is that this was a good test for leaks. Didn't see any so I am relieved to know the top is good.

As it was raining, I went out and installed a TV mount. got the TV, DVD and converter all working. The wife is

Take care and we'll be in touch

Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #11

SUN #1028
harbortj
what is the lever in the back behind the controller

Hey guys/ gals,

I think I understand how to light this. It is just like the one in my garagee except I haven't got it to light.

What I don't see in the instructions is where to place the lever behind the blue knob.

I have it on pilot and turn and hold it a little more counter clock wise and try to light it. but no luck.
I have tried the lever to the left, middle and right and held it for more than 3 o4 minutes.

The stove works fine so assume I am getting gas. too noisy around here right now to here it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
The "lever" if I remember correctly is the thermostat. lever to the left is cooler water, lever to the right is hotter water (or vise-versa).

Turn the blue control dial to "pilot", push in on the blue knob (wait about 6 - 8 seconds) and while still holding the blue knob in you need to use a BBQ grill lighter to light the heater. You need to place the BBQ lighter at the end of the tube that is kinda inside that hole to the right of the blue knob. If it won't / don't light, well, some of the more techy guys will be along shortly to help ya out. There IS a minor part that can go bad, sorry forget what it's called, but I had to replace it once. So, it's not too complicated as I did the repair myself.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #13

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
We had trouble getting ours to light last year. Spiders like propane and we suspect there was a small web blocking the flow of propane. Cleaned it good and it lit. I stuffed fabric softener sheets everywhere last fall. I read they keep spiders away. I don't know if it works or not, but at least the camper will smell good. I just have to remember to get all of them out of every compartment!
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless campers
I just have to remember to get all of them out of every compartment!
If ya forget some in a non mechanical area, guess it won't hurt anything, and your rig will smell good longer.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #15

SUN #1028
harbortj
yeah HOT WATER

thanks everyone.

I found that I had to turn the knob a little left of "PILOT" but your instuctions helped.

We snuck out of town just a few miles away to try this new toy out and we everyone's help, have most the of unknowns worked out.

I haven't got the furnace to light yet but it is early, we have electricity and had dinner so far so good.

Thanks again to all.