Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #1

SUN #5843
marcom13 is an unknown quantity at this point
lights--outside marker lights and tail lights

Started checking all lights now that my truck has a full 7 blde hookup connect to the tt. I have signal light both sides, hazard lights both sides. and brake lights both side and even some of the marker lights work when I turn on the truck headlights but I do NOT have taillights. How can this be when everything involving the taillights work except when the headlights come on in the truck I have no taillights on the tt.
Is it possible there is a fuse somehwere tha is bad, just for the taillights?????????
Lookin for some help here from all you folks who have own a sunline. I have a T1700, 1989 and I'm getting ready for my first adventure and later for the M&G in Old Forge, Nick's lake.
thanks for all that have helped already and friends we hope to thank in the future.
Emmett
marcom13

Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if the marker lights work it means it is getting the signal from the TV. The tail bulbs have two filaments in them one for the brake lights and the other for the tail lights so my guess is dirty contacts or just plan bad bulbs.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

SUN #5843
Mainah,
you are the best and I knew you would respond. My problem is that I do have some marker lights but despite brand new bulbs that light up both filaments is that when the hazard lights are on, both filaments fire but I do not have taillights. It's almost as if the single wire that does both marker lights and tail lights must not get to the tail lights after the marker lights. I know I'm being a weenie and not just tearing into stuff but I thought just maybe I missed something easy, like a fuse just for taillights. Sounds like that ain't it. God bless you for your help, worked last night so will investigate further after some sleep. Thank you for your kindness and instruction.
Emmett
marcom13
Old 07-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

SUN #2097
OK One filament is for the tail lights the other is for the hazard and stop lights. Both should not be on at the same time unless the break or hazards are you are sure you have the bulb in properly it is possible to have both contacts touching the same terminal. The working marker lights random or one one side? The wiring for the tail lights come into the left tail light behind the assembly you'll have to remove the tail light assembly to get to them.The reason I ask about the markers is because there is more than one ground for the lighting they are white wires and are all joined in the convert box to a grounding buss there are fuses in there by the way but I believe there is only one for the markers and tail lights. One of the nice things about a Sunline they did run a single point ground meaning each home run has a ground independent of a body ground. Fixing wiring with out being able to see it is hard your best friend would be a 12 volt test light so the more info you can give us the better we maybe able to help you.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

SUN #5843
marker and tail lights

Mianah,
You are amazing, did you work for the sunline company as an engineer perhaps. I am amazed at the limitless information you seem to have at your finger tips. I assume the term convert box is the converter box and that is under the fridge in the T-1700, are there any other areas that may house additional electrical accessories? I'm looking to see which line on the 7 point plug controls the taillights so I can begin back tracking to see is there is a cut wire of a short.
Once again, I am in your debt Mainah, I hope to meet you at M&G one day and stand you to a dinner. Thank you.
Emmett
marcom13
Old 07-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #6

SUN #2097
Here is what you can do. With the 7 pin plug from the camper facing you and the index facing up your tail lights, marker etc. will be at 11:00 the 12 volt charge circuit will be at 1:00. The charge pin is connected to the camper battery so if your battery is charged you can jumper the two pins with a piece of wire or even better an inline fuse holder this will supply power to your parking lights. The standard color for running lights is brown and the ground is white but that does not mean that Sunline ran brown wires to the back but that would be some thing you would have to check. I'm pretty sure the whip that plugs into the TV should be correct. Again if any markers light it is getting power to the basic circuit.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #7

SUN #5843
Taillights,marker lights.

Welll,
New developements. I got home from work this am and thought I'd spend an hour on the wiring problems. I got out a tester and checked the 7 plug that Transatlantin RV in Peekskill, NY put in and the tester showed me that the plug was not set up properly. I went to see these guys and convinced John,the mechanic, that the wires were wrong. He tested the spice cable that attaches to the trailer and sure enough, the wires didn't match the schematic of the 7 prong plug. We managed thru trial and error to get all the wires connected,even though some of the colors don't match, I know which color activate which light or brake etc.
I hooked up all the wires to my trailer, after leaving their shop , I have front marker lights, all of them( 4 amber) but no rear marker lights(7 red) or taiil lights, I have right and left, brake and hazards but when I turn on the truck's lights all I get is front markers. I think I may have to run a new wire from the 7 prong splice tail to the back marker lights and or tailights. I may have to add taillights that just are tailights. Not sure yet, wish I knew where they ran the wires so I could just pull a panel. More investigation in the morning when I get home. Thanks again for all the help, Mainah and John B.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #8

SUN #5843
Question tail lights marker lights.

Mainah,
you mentioned that if the marker lights are on they must be getting a signal from the TV. What's the TV, I afraid I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to camper/trailer terms.
Emmett
Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #9

SUN #2097
Tow Vehicle.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #10

SUN #5843
Mainah,
I have great news, I began replacing all the marker lights and as I replaced each one, I checked all the others as well as the tail lights. I had replaced two amber in the front and two reds in the rear and all of a sudden,when I checked, I had tail lights as well. I'm thinking that sunline may have been using the light frame or metal base to connect the wires as they went along and when one of the marker bases rotted out it broke the line and when I added the new lights, I twisted the two greens and the two whites together and then wire my new black to the green and the new white to the two whites and now I have tail lights. I'm not real sure if that makes sense but tomorrow I'll finish all the markers and take it for inspection, the only thing I can't test is the electric brake but I know the man who does all my vehicles for inspection and He'll test them at the inspection. Thank you for your help and support, It gave me the where with all to not give up.

Thank you and God Bless you Mainah. I hope to meet you at a M&G in sept.
Emmett
Marcom13
Old 07-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #11

SUN #2097
Well you can test the trailer brakes by pulling the break away pin if you have a good battery on the camper. It most likely will be part of a safety inspection any way. Pulling the pin should lockup the trailer brakes. This of course will not test the TV operation for that you'll need to consult your controller book to set it up properly. Glad you got the lights working.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #12

SUN #5892
Richard Owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry for butting in but, I was wondering about my lights on my 1980 7.5 MR slide-in camper. Most of them are broken & I haven't repaired them yet but, was wondering about the legality of NOT working & being able to still drive with it in the back of my truck ?
I live in Montana where, pretty much we don't have any rules except common courtesy. Since my Truck lights are visible & working, is it necessary to have the camper lights working also ?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #13

SUN #2097
I know DOT requires them for certain width and height not sure about a slide in. Guess your going to have to ask at the state level.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #14

SUN #5892
Richard Owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I know DOT requires them for certain width and height not sure about a slide in. Guess your going to have to ask at the state level.
Thanks, yeah I just haven't replaced them since buying it last year. I intend on using it for hunting season this year so, hopefully I'll make the repairs before then.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #15

SUN #4187
tjb02093 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to tjb02093
Hi Emmett,
I have to replace a few clearance lights. I was wondering what you used to replace them with? I don't want 2 different lights and I can't find the same ones that are from 1988 (1988 Sunline Saturn) so I'll have to replace them all. I'm just lost as to what will work for the trailer.
What worked for you?
Tracey
tjb02093
Old 07-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #16

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb02093 View Post
Hi Emmett,
I have to replace a few clearance lights. I was wondering what you used to replace them with? I don't want 2 different lights and I can't find the same ones that are from 1988 (1988 Sunline Saturn) so I'll have to replace them all. I'm just lost as to what will work for the trailer.
What worked for you?
Tracey
tjb02093
If you'll post a pic of the existing clearance lights on your trailer, I may be able to help source some replacements.

Also, if you remove one, you should find some numbers or letters or even a name molded in the plastic that would help figure what you've got.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #17

SUN #4187
Hi, I've added photo's. Now I see the numbers/letters on one of the photo's. I've been to 4 different stores and have had no luck finding them online. Thanks for taking a look.
Tracey
tjb02093
Old 07-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #18

SUN #264
Quote:
Hi, I've added photo's. Now I see the numbers/letters on one of the photo's. I've been to 4 different stores and have had no luck finding them online. Thanks for taking a look.
Tracey
tjb02093
Bargman #270 or #278 originally. Current model is Bargman #99.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #19

SUN #4187
Thanks Steve,
The Bargman #99 seems to be a tail light. I'm actually looking for the clearance lights. 4 amber front and 7 red back lights.
Tracey
Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #20

SUN #264
Quote:
Thanks Steve,
The Bargman #99 seems to be a tail light. I'm actually looking for the clearance lights. 4 amber front and 7 red back lights.
Tracey

The 99 is a clearance light.