Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

SUN #8474
jsm5394 is an unknown quantity at this point
LED Lighting Conversion

I am working on my 1989 1661 TT. Looking to upgrade to LED, starting with exterior. I am planning to use the Bargman LED markers as they look just like the existing ones. I want to replace the lamps in the brake/turn lights. The reviews on Amazon are all over the place. Some claim polarity can ge an issue. Some need to add resistors to stop rapid flashing of turn signals. Others complain of low brightness or fast burnout. Can someone recommend a lamp that will work well for my application? I would also appreciate advice on upstanding the interior lights.

Thanks.
Jim

Old 06-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #2

SUN #9248
gypsyRN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm5394 View Post
I am working on my 1989 1661 TT. Looking to upgrade to LED, starting with exterior. I am planning to use the Bargman LED markers as they look just like the existing ones. I want to replace the lamps in the brake/turn lights. The reviews on Amazon are all over the place. Some claim polarity can ge an issue. Some need to add resistors to stop rapid flashing of turn signals. Others complain of low brightness or fast burnout. Can someone recommend a lamp that will work well for my application? I would also appreciate advice on upstanding the interior lights.

Thanks.

Jim

Thank you for asking this question, I'm not there yet but will need this information hopefully in the near future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #3

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure about the exterior bulbs, but I replaced most of my interior bulbs with LED's and they aren't as bright as the original incandescent bulbs.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

SUN #9333
JohnByrum is an unknown quantity at this point
I just installed these in my 2004 T-2199 and they are awesome.
GRV T10 921 194 13-5050 SMD Wedge LED Bulb lamp Super Bright Warm White DC 12V Pack of 10
I got them from amazon.com for $21.10 pack of 10.
The brightness is very similar to the standard bulbs.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I cannot help on the exterior LED but I did do the inside ones starting back in 2009. This thread was started back then an I joined in half way through with my upgrade. This may help, you can scroll before and after this reply in that post

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...html#post80386

We have now converted the entire inside of the camper to LED's. Back then the cost was a large factor at $15 a bulb but it was worth it from the lower power draw when boondocking. It took us across 3 years to change them all out to spread out the cost but it was well worth it and yes, polarity is a need. I think I had to swap maybe 1 or 2 fixtures wires to get them all to work.

Quality, back in 2009 this was a big deal as the LED's where just comeing on the scene. The ones from Super Bright where good quality and I have not had any issues with mine since 2009. Others have reported poor quality on other cheaper E bay sites. But again, technology has advanced a lot since then so it may be better now. If they are dirt cheap, there may be a reason. I have had home LED bulbs die in the 1st year bought a year ago so but they are much bigger bulbs.

A few pointers, figure out if you like warm white or cool white. Warm white is closer to the look of the prior incandescents. Cool white is better for reading but can be too white for the entire camper sometimes. We use the warm white in 90% of the camper but the 2 lights the wife reads by.

Pending the age of your camper the plug in base can be different as the fixtures changed. We went to Super Bright LED's web site and bought from them. https://www.superbrightleds.com/ You have to drill down into the selection which is close to endless. They now have an RV section. Amazon and other sire now have a lot to offer but Super Bright LEDs is still good.

This flat wedge base fits most of ours. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-rvb/2805/

And with technology cost is now 3 times less and they are up to 130 lumens in the same size. Our first ones where more like 105 lumens. The 130 for sure would be better and much below 100 lumens for a general area light is not the greatest.

I think Mainah has plowed the ground on the DOT lights and converted them. He also has an older camper and they may be closer to your 89 camper. He will know what he found that worked.

Ideally you have time to do the conversion, but a few styles to try, try them and make sure you like them and then buy more of the "right" ones.

Hope this helps

John

Please post what DOT lights you find work. We have had a lot of talk on these but not many have posted the brand and where they got them. Inside lights we have much on. Try doing a Google Custom search on our forum. Lots to read. Use this link, https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...95:95x3m3w6lto Enter "LED lights" in the lower Google Custom search box and hit go. You can read for a good while but look at the dates, while good info some may be from the 2008 and 2009 time when LED just started out. Newer better things may have come since.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The exterior lights on mine are designed for a Kenworth truck! They are about as flush mount as it gets yes it did involve some work with retro fit but they are bullet proof and quite bright. I did not think my camper would ever become a classic so I just used what I thought looked good. There are no moving parts like bulbs so I sure they will out last me.

Tags
led, lights