Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #1

SUN #57
Richard
leak in t2499?

I have a '06 t2499 that was purchased new and just noticed a white papery substance on the carpet along the rear wall where the swivel rocker sits. there never was any evidence of dampness, however when I poked an awl in through the carpet, it easily penetrated, indicating damage about two inches from rear wall inward. there is no other evidence of water penetration and all caulking in the area appears to be intact.
has anyone experienced a similar problem, any suggestions ? we are currently on the road and have been for the past three weeks so I will have some time to mull over my options before getting back home at the end of August. thanks for the help.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

SUN #246
Janalee
Leak

First if all, I am wondering if this is the Richard we met at Lazy Days Rally this past winter??? If so, hello to you both!
Anyway, I would look to see if the side clearance light or the top rear clearance lights are leaking..they are the first and obvious sites of leaks in the rear. Pop off the lenses and see if they have dampness or dirt inside and then run silicone around the edge of the fixture AND the lens when you put it back on. Sometimes the factory has even left a too-large hole for the wiring to enter--then so will water! It will get into the insulation and slowly move down the inside of the wall and seep into the carpet-we had this happen in one of our motorhomes AND in a TT...Hope this helps..Janalee PS..after you seal it,a dehumidifier should take care of it.

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #3

SUN #379
2beagles
Please don't use silicone. Eventually it will fail, and it's a pain to get off. Use one of the sealants that you can buy especially for RV exteriors. They'll stay pliable, but won't come off after a short time. I've been having a bear of a time removing all the failed silicone caulk from both of our coaches, and I'm replacing it with either Dicor self leveling sealant on the roofs, and Pro Flex on the other areas such as lights, vents etc.
I replaced both roof vents and both plumbing vents on the 15 1/2 SC yesterday, and half the job was trying to get the remains os silicone caulk off the aluminum roof. I had to scrub it off with steel wool soaked in laquer thinner. The 2370 has acouple of areas on the rubber roof that were repaired by a previous owner with silicone, and I dread removing that next week.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote