Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Ideas for water inlet freeze protector/cover?

Needing to protect the water inlet from freezing through the winter. Thinking of some kind of container I can cut/modify, fill with insulation and put against camper. The water is in use. Anybody done this and has a pic to share? Or any kind of draped item that would work? I've seen these around homes/gardens to protect spigots.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
How are you going to keep the supply line from freezing?

Old 01-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
How cold does it gets in your area, and how long does it stay that cold?

Knowing how cold and how long, insulation alone may not do it. They make self regulating heat tapes now, a big improvement over the older ones that would burn up. I'll see if I can find a brand of one. I have them on my septic system sand bed drain valves and in the barn on the furnace drain trap.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
How are you going to keep the supply line from freezing?
It's underground.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #5

SUN #4422
We have a lot of nights in the 20s and 30s and has been mostly fine here wrapped up. Some nights in teens, A few times a winter for usually a few days there are single digits or zero.

The tapes, what temperatures do they protect against? Do you combine them with any wrapping? Or just exposed with the tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
How cold does it gets in your area, and how long does it stay that cold?

Knowing how cold and how long, insulation alone may not do it. They make self regulating heat tapes now, a big improvement over the older ones that would burn up. I'll see if I can find a brand of one. I have them on my septic system sand bed drain valves and in the barn on the furnace drain trap.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by noralee View Post
We have a lot of nights in the 20s and 30s and has been mostly fine here wrapped up. Some nights in teens, A few times a winter for usually a few days there are single digits or zero.

The tapes, what temperatures do they protect against? Do you combine them with any wrapping? Or just exposed with the tape?
Here is what I know about heat tape. I'm not and expert on it, only used it and been exposed to it a few times. If others have used it a lot more, hoping they can post of what they do. I have used heat tape (35 years ago now) on water pipes heading into a mobile home. Back then they called it heat tape and there was 2 kinds. One kind you used on metal pipe and you could "not" wrap the tape over the top of itself or it would burn up the heat tape. You had to go plug it in when it got cold out and unplug when you wanted it off. We did wrap the pipe with insulation.

As time went on, heat tape advanced and they had a thermostat built in that would turn it on and off. And they advanced to be able to wrap over themselves and not burn themselves up. I do not know if these older types are still available, odds are they may be. Be careful to not get the type you cannot wrap over itself and it has to be rated for your plastic pipe.

Fast forward to 4 years ago. I found "self regulating heating cable". This is used in my septic system valve cabinet to prevent the valves from freezing in the winter. This is way advanced over the older stuff. The cable is made from a technology that creates the heat and regulates it too. They make many brands that can be used on both plastic pipe and metal pipe. These are the way to go from my past experience.

Last year, my HVAC installer put this self regulating heat cable on the plastic drain traps on the furnace in my barn. Here are some pics of it.

You wrap it around the piping and plug it in. Do not use metal straps. Use plastic strapping (tie wraps) to hold it on. That's it, it powers itself and heats as needed. Since this was inside, it was not insulated.

Here is the package of the self regulating heat cable. This is made by RayChem.

The bottom part of the package

This type of heat cable you can wrap over itself, if by accident or on purpose. You can see it in the picture as they are advertising that feature. If this was outside, you should insulate over it. I would recommend the foam pipe insulation over the fiberglass batt type which if it gets wet, it not longer insulates. The foam type, you can wrap the outside with tape if wanted to help protect it from the elements or make a PVC pipe cover for it.

Odds are you may only need about a 6ft one from the camper to the ground point or below. I tried to find the brand my installer put in, but the cost where I was looking was very costly for a 6 ft one. ~ $75 and up.

I found a 6ft on by the Heat It brand more cost effective, but I have no background on this brand. There are other brands to research through as well.
https://www.amazon.com/HEATIT-6-feet...0&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Thinking about this, you most likely will have to put heat cable on the pipe down below the ground surface until you get to the frost line. If not, it may freeze the pipe from the top of the ground down to wherever the frost stops. I'm assuming your ground freezes there, if not you can skip this. If you go this route, you might have to put a PVC pipe sleeve over the heat cable, insulation etc to keep the dirt away from the setup.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote