Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

SUN #3385
steve59 is an unknown quantity at this point
I really need some help and advice here

I am in need of some advice from you fine folks.I was on my roof of my 1982 sunline and noticed 1 of my vents needed changing so I went and replaced all the vents,resealed and chalked them all,also found a few more spots that needed attention while I was up there and also took care of them.I pressured washed the roof a couple of days ago and no signs of water inside at all { it did'nt leak before either]....here is my question, I order liquid roof after reading all the post about the product,should I go ahead and use this or just paint it with the gallon of roof paint I bought 3 weeks ago. the more I read on this forum the more I learn so I am not sure which product to use..the roof is metal and seems in good shape.I have a 4 gallon pail plus a 1 gallon can full of liquid roof.........thank you all in advance and thank you for such a great forum.....................steve

Old 04-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hey Steve,

With an aluminum roof, you don't need to put anything on it... Unless it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling... The only things to check/maintain, are the things you already took care of. Rubber roofs are advertised as "Maintenance free" but are far from it... I guess the roof manufacturers were not making enough money, just selling aluminum...

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Agreed if there are no holes in it, it should not leak things going through (vents, pipes, and TV stuff can but those are an easy fix. I just did mine there is an aluminum trim piece that covers the roof seam the roof is folded over the side walls so there is no seam to leak inside. The trim piece has a calk strip mostly to seal the screws that hold the edge down that's pretty much it other then the normal things on the roof. Some one thought that the trim could leak on mine and covered it with roof tar and it was a bear to get off but I finally did then I did a really good job of cleaning it used a very aggressive paint primer and then a good grade of white roof paint.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #4

SUN #3354
UPbuilder is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with not coating it. Anything you put on it will make it harder to keep clean. The aluminum is easy to wash, and easy to care for. I've spent the last 2 months rebuilding my 1981 171/2SB and I had planned to coat the roof but have changed my mind and I'm leaving it bare.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #5

SUN #3385
steve59 is an unknown quantity at this point
thank you guys for your input and advice. the more of these forums I read the more I wasn't sure which way to go.I learn alot from everyones post on here as this is my 1st tt as I have always owned pop up campers in the past.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
There are two reasons I painted it no coating though just paint main one it was pretty dingy and had black gook all over it the ideal was to make the interior cooler. The second reason my living room is higher then the camper and when it's near the house I can see the **** roof!