Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to fill water tank with a garden hose?

I want to sanitize my water system using the instructions found here in the files.

I purchased a water pressure regulator like this one
Hooked it up to my home outside water spigot and then hooked up the garden hose to my rig....turned on the water and nothing seems to be happening?

I was checking my water tank (under the bed on my T-1950) and I did not see water level raise in the 15 or so minutes I had the water on before I turned it off? I turned it off cause I didn't want anything to be damaged

Shouldn't I see the water level raise even a little when the water is turned on?

I assume the pressure regulator is factory set to 40-50#

The water is being carried from the hose to the fresh water receptacle on my rig as I see some dripping

I shouldn't have to have the water pump on with the city water from my outside spigot should I?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
The hose connection is just for the faucets, it does not fill the fresh water storage tank.

To fill the water tank you should have a hatch kind of like this:

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #3

SUN #1546
HELLO! Thank you Gene...This is my first time doing this I didn't realize that you filled the tank from the portable water fill on the awning side of the rig.....I do have one more question...

Instructions say: g. Drain the entire water system, hot water tank included.

Does that mean I need to unplug the drain plug in the compartment in the rear of the rig and let the water drain out from there also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The hose connection is just for the faucets, it does not fill the fresh water storage tank.

To fill the water tank you should have a hatch kind of like this:

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #4

SUN #768
Everyone has a "first time", that is why there are forums like this.

If the water is old and you are sanitizing then , yes, you remove (unscrew) the plastic plug and drain the water heater too. Open a hot water faucet to release some pressure before removing the plug. While it is draining it helps to open the pressure relief valve or the water will just dribble out .... forever it seems. If it it just a few weeks between trips then you don't need to drain it.

Most definately you need to drain it before freezing weather in the Fall.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

SUN #1546
Thanks Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Everyone has a "first time", that is why there are forums like this.

If the water is old and you are sanitizing then , yes, you remove (unscrew) the plastic plug and drain the water heater too. Open a hot water faucet to release some pressure before removing the plug. While it is draining it helps to open the pressure relief valve or the water will just dribble out .... forever it seems. If it it just a few weeks between trips then you don't need to drain it.

Most definately you need to drain it before freezing weather in the Fall.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

SUN #3935
j2cool is an unknown quantity at this point
:?: Needing some of the same information

Hello Gene,

I am new too. All this information is like a gold mine to new and seasoned camper looking for help and advice.

I have a similar situation, I recently purchased a Sunline T-1650. It did not come with keys and I am working to get travel ready and just learn about all the ins and outs in general. I do know even know where to hook up the water hose faucet use. I also uploaded an album and was informed that sipgot on my camper maybe a modification and I am not sure what the modification was for, it may have been for the fresh water because the previous also did not have keys and oddly never got replacements.

I have attached a picture of the mod. You can also see more pictures in the album named, "1984 Sunline Travel Traveler T-1650".

Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
HELLO! Thank you Gene...This is my first time doing this I didn't realize that you filled the tank from the portable water fill on the awning side of the rig.....I do have one more question...

Instructions say: g. Drain the entire water system, hot water tank included.

Does that mean I need to unplug the drain plug in the compartment in the rear of the rig and let the water drain out from there also?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black n gray water tanks.jpg (78.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg water connector.jpg (74.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #7

SUN #3935
Oh, and I do not know where the hot water heater tank is to drain in the winter or open to relieve pressure in order to sanitize water before use. Could you find it in my album and let know where, please?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #8

SUN #768
Anita, that pipe and valve with cap hanging down is a puzzle to me. I am guessing it may be a drain of some kind, maybe for the freshwater tank.

The water heater is that square door below and to the right of missing fridge cover panel. The drain will be a hex head plastic plug that unscrews. The picture below is my heater after I added a drain hose and shutoff, an idea I stole from other members here.

I should mention, on many like mine it ain't easy getting a wrench onto that plug!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater.jpg (52.8 KB, 10 views)

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #9

SUN #3935
Oh, okay. I think I got it now. I guess, I will have to experiment with the water drain after I get a key for the fresh water access so can put fresh water in the tank in order to see where the water will drain.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #10

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2cool View Post
I have been relunctant to do so because they were never forthcoming (or very honest) with some of the information. They also were not very informed as well. The advertised it as only weighing 1300 lbs when in fact the partially remaining sticker on the side clearly says it is 2630 lbs. They said the length was 13' and its 16'. I never owned camper before so I can see how I would over look that information but how can own and claim to use but not know it?
I'm constantly surprised at how little people know about the things they own. I've seen many situations, particularly with the older trailers, where people trade campers for business services (like driveway paving, etc. (Hey Jay!)). The people that take them often don't have a clue what they got in return and just want to sell it to get their money out of it.

Granted the weight situation is unusual, they must have just guessed. For the length though, that's not surprising. The reason is, a good number of RV manufacturers, maybe around half or so, measure their trailers by the box vs. overall length. Sunline was an overall length manufacturer. But some don't know and just measure it by the box. VERY common misconception.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #11

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Yea, I don't miss the driveway at all, but I do miss that pick up camper!
2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #12

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
T-1950 water drain.

The low point drain valves are located under the bed for both Hot and Cold water lines. They also have to be open to completely drain the system. They drain to the underside of the unit about mid-way.

To drain a T-1950:

Turn off pump and open all faucets
Open the tank drain, awning side below bedroom window on frame
Open the two water drain valves under the bed between tank and water heater
Remove the water heater plug and drain it.
For winter, blow out or plunge out all sink traps.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, garden hose, sanitize water tank, water presure regulator, water tank