Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

SUN #3726
Woodsfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Hot Water Heater Problem

Hello, I have a electronic water heater. There is a button for it over the kitchen sink. Usually you press it and it the light comes on and you have to repeat the process a couple of times until the gas makes its way and then the light goes off and you have ignition. Well I guess she kept pressing the button around four times and the light would coming on telling you that basically the hot water heater has not lit. Now there is no light what so ever when you press the button and no ignition is happening. I checked the circuits and fuses and nothing is blown. I am guessing it is probably that little circuit board mounted on the water heater. Also when my wife was trying to light the water heater there was no water in it. It had been bypassed for winterizing purposes and she didn't realize. Another thing is that at the time we were camping with no hook ups and running off battery. I just figured I would get some advice before i take a chance and just replace the circuit board..........thanx ..............Jared

Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #2

SUN #3726
Ok, I researched it and it turns out i blew the thermal cut off. This is a safety diode that blows if exposed to too much heat. I bypassed it to see if i could get it to work now and the water heater clicks several times and won't light, i smell gas but no ignition. Any Ideas?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
If you smell gas then the gas solenoid must be opening. You can try cleaning the gas jet and burner tube. Little crawley critters like to nest there. Also check the spark gap and the big burner tube that goes through the tank and exits on the top left of the tank.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe try holding a fire, burning paper or gas lighter, at the pilot light to see if the igniter is weak or out of position.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

SUN #3726
Thanks for the help, It was webs in the tube. The webs caused the gas to gather and back up and finally igniting a puff of fire which then cause the thermal cut off to blow which shut everything down. I bypassed the thermal cut off wire just for July 4th weekend and replacing it for safety sake next week. If anyone runs into the problem where the hot water heater is completely dead check the thermal cut off wire that lead to the thermostat before you replace the ignition control board. The hot water heater i am speaking of is electronic and runs solely on gas.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Jared,

Good for you sorting this out and thanks for posting back. Posting what you found really helps others in the future.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote