Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #1

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Generator surging

My EU2000i was surging, wouldn't run at a steady speed. I could correct it by moving the choke lever about half way.

Here's what I found. Google it and you'll find that this is quite common. Don't run the generator with the choke on half for long since you could foul the spark plug by running it rich. The problem is that the carberator needs to be cleaned. It takes little to plug up the tiny holes in there and possible causes are using more than 10% ethanol gasoline or by using old gas without stabilizer. I always use stabilizer but I did buy gas from a no name a couple of times this summer in small towns. It could be I didn't use it for a couple of months too since I have two of them.

There's always gas in the carberator because the on/off switch turns the spark off and shuts off the gas at the same time. You can't run it dry unless the tank is dry. Some people put a shutoff valve on the gas line and turn it off that way but I won't consider that until the warranty runs out.

The repair place said he sees this often. I dropped it off and picked it up in two days with a $30 bill so it's not a big deal. I'll make sure I alternate their use.

I'll run my snow blower dry for the summer and lawn mower dry for the winter and always have Stabililizer in the gas. The Hondas and an 8500 watt whole house generator I simply run a few minutes a month all year.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
That is common they are tiny carburetors and the smallest little bit of dirt will plug them up. Any thing I leave for the winter gets a bit of 2 stroke chain saw mix in it all small engines will run on a 50 to 1 mix I leave the fuel in it all winter the oil in the mix keeps the dry carb from corroding. Carrying fuel in a container to a small engine invites dirt the transfer of fuels the little drop of the nozzle on the ground we all do it. The smaller the engine the worst it gets.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Paul,

Thanks for the post. I always use Stabil, and will keep on using it and known name gas.

I use to have a small engines repair business years ago. A gummed up carburetor can drive the owner nuts. And after it dies enough times, they soon pull the rope out in their hand from it stalling so much. Now they are really ticked.... So the repair is to clean the gummed up mess out and fix the rope recoil unit...

Mainah is dead on with the infamous gas can...

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use to buy a five gallon can of gas for mowers, trimmers and edgers. That gas was allowed to stay for a month and then I would use it in my car and refresh the small engine gas. Today I use a smaller 2 1/2 gallon can that usually gets refilled faster with normal use. I also use Stabil and I use it in all my gas, car and small engines. I will try to mix the fuel before use. For instance I move my vehicle back and forth to stir the fuel in the car, if it sets for a few days, and I shake the gas can before filling the small engines.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #5

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually I use a 14 gallon storage can for mower, snow blower, trimmer, and generators. I also have 7 gallons in the big generator tank so that's 3 tank fulls if I lose power. I fill a 2 gallon for the small gens. They all have Stabil and spring and fall I empty everything including the big gen into the truck and re-fill. I'll also run everything once a month or run dry for the off season. 10 years with the Briggs and Stratton and did nothing but change the oil and clean the filter. I guess the Hondas are sensitive and need pampering.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

SUN #597
henryj
Gasoline Additives

Small engines do not like ethanol laced gasoline. Cars and trucks tend to burn through gasoline fast enough that it's not as big a problem. Ethanol has a high affinity for water and will take it out of the humid air (most of eastern NA) above half filled gas tanks and jerry cans. John Deere recommends filling the gas tank immediately after each mowing and keeping fresh, full, tightly sealed containers. I counted 7 small engines in my garage from a 2-cycle chainsaw and string trimmer to a 22hp JD lawn tractor. Some years the snow blower might only run once or twice. The only engine I run regularly is the generator because when I want it to start, I really want it to start.

Since spending big $ on the JD 18 mon. ago, I've been known to prowl a tractor forum--yes, people like their tractors just as much as their RVs. The prevailing school of thought among people who collect and occasionally operate almost 50 year old JD lawn and garden tractors is that StarTron is "the" additive to use for stabilizing fuel as well as eliminating ethanol problems. Not to leave Stabil out of it, there are two Stabil products including Marine Stabil that also neutralize the ethanol. You do have to look for these products and they may only be in boat stores or boating departments--ethanol is a really big problem in boats. My local Canadian Tire store has StarTron in the boat and small engine departments and the last time I bought it, it was right beside the regular Stabil in the auto department as well. StarTron is a bit more expensive, but I only use one or two bottles a year so the cost difference is irrelevant.

I also don't drive my truck in winter so make sure the last tank is a full tank of ethanol free gasoline and still give it the recommended dose of StarTron. Locations of ethanol free gas stations can be found on the Internet and I am fortunate to have my closest one be ethanol free. I've been using their gas for years and didn't even know it was ethanol free--now I've noticed they brag about it right on the LCD of the pump.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #7

SUN #2097
The trouble begins with ethanol when the fuel tanks and carbs are left empty I never have had any issues with stuff I push under cover for the winter or stuff that goes under cover for the summer. Yes ethanol collects moisture but so does "dry gas" the same stuff that has been around for ever is ethanol. Here is north east you can not buy gas with out it. With small engines the biggest issue it dirt, small storage tanks (gas cans) you remove the nozzle lay it on the ground put it back in take it to the gas station the dirt blows all over it in the back of the pickup you pour it into a little 2K generator engine a small piece of that dirt gets in the tiny jet and the engine goes lean requiring the choke to keep it running the blame does not fall on the ethanol. Ethanol is used in race cars it burns very well. Most of the gas additive (Staybil etc.) is meant to keep the gas from producing shellac as it ages so this is where the ethanol can present a problem because it is a solvent for shellac. Gas has to be pretty old to cause this.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #8

SUN #597
henryj
Mainah, I agree that dirt in gasoline creates greater problems than ethanol. I wasn't countering your point at all, merely adding to the general discussion of using quality gasoline and my experience with StarTron. Gasoline can accumulate water as a condensate--especially on cold steel tanks--layering at the bottom of the tank. Gasoline has no affinity for water and is quite different from ethanol which has the chemical property of attracting and dissolving water and then also layering at the bottom of the tank. Of course ethanol is a clean burning fuel and creates no problems in its own combustion or rapidly consumed gasoline.

In ME, ethanol free gasoline is only available at a handful of airports and marinas--so it might as well be unavailable. However, in the rest of the NE except for NH, ethanol free gasoline is available--mostly in mid and premium grade--although more than a few of those are marinas. I buy it because I'd have to go out of my way not to and my station has all 3 grades. For others, an additive like StarTron or Marine Stabil is an effective way of guarding against stale gas and water absorption at the same time. Good fuel management and handling is always a priority and may work as well. YMMV.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #9

SUN #2097
Wow gas is expensive enough I can't imagine how much it would be at a marina much less av fuel! In a boat etc over the winter water is going to be an issue there is a lot of tank there. Frankly I have never had any issues with ethanol fuels.