Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

SUN #9909
Preston is an unknown quantity at this point
Hitch Box for Solar/EMS/Batteries

What does everyone think of my idea of building a hitch box to install on the 'triangle' that will hold batteries, EMS, inverter, battery isolator etc. It would be behind my propane and against the diamond plated 'splash' guard on the front of the trailer.

My thought is that my solar can go into the box and I plug my shore power into this box with a cord going out to plug into the trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180102_165845.jpg (60.9 KB, 12 views)

Old 01-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #2

SUN #9909
Is there schematic diagrams available anywhere on the board? Sorry I am new and going to explore!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Preston,

What you listed should be OK I'm thinking on the battery tray. It is not a weight issue. The only thing I would maybe question is the inverter. I do not know how it will hold up with the moisture on the area. By chance does your camper have a front cargo hole right behind that diamond plate? If so it could go in there I would think. Guys wanting to upgrade to a high amp output power converter for charging a group of batteries put the converter in that front hole and run heavy wire on a short run to the battery bank.

For sure make sure all power things are fused in case something gets skinned and touch metal it will trip the fuse verse getting all sparking.

As for a wiring diagram, we only have 1 from Sunline. It is off my 2004 T2499. Your 2005 may not be exactly the same due to floor plan but it should be close.

See here in the files section. You have to be logged in to download it. Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - Sunline Solaris T-2499 Wiring Diagram

The files section with a lot of other good stuff is on top of the forum. See the tab that says "FILES" click it and it opens up a big downloadable menu of good stuff....

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

SUN #9909
YOU. ARE. THE. MAN! Thanks John! I am thinking I can make the box water tight but I'll consider using the pass-through storage on the other side of the diamond plating.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I have two batteries on mine and I would have a hard time trying to find room for anything else. Putting anything electronic with batteries is not a good ideal any outgassing will get into the circuit boards. I use an inverter with my camper in one of the compartments and power it with the batteries via a DC extension cord then plug the camper power cord into it. Here is something else to consider you will have to figure out how to turn off you converter/charger otherwise you will end up with a dead battery in short order because the charger will try to recharge the battery all the while your taking power from them. The inverter will draw 10 times the amount of the AC load from the batteries 10 amp AC load= 100 amps of battery draw so you will need hefty cables. What is your ideal with a battery isolator and what is an EMS? Everything on my system uses 50 amp Anderson DC connectors this gives me lot of options plugging in the inverter,connecting the batteries to a 100 watt solar panel running my ham radio gear and when all else fails connecting it to my truck to charge the camper batteries yeah a 240 hp generator is not real efficient but it does charge the batteries.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Mainah,

I have a question regarding your setup. You stated that you would need a way to turn off the converter/charger. If one had a setup like yours and the converter/charger was controlled through a breaker - lights work when breaker is off with battery power only and converter/charger on when breaker is on -
would that type of setup work?

What size batteries do you have?

Thanks,
Tommie
Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #7

SUN #2097
I replaced the old (1990 vintage) converter/charger in mine with a modern one at that time I installed a breaker just for the the charger. I have no ideal how yours is wired if it is a modern switching supply it my well have it's own breaker or power switch and will have no effect on the lighting. But you see my point so some way you will have to figure that out if it is a older transformer type it gets a little more elaborate they actually had two systems one to charge the battery the other to light the light with a relay that disconnected the battery when plugged in so the lights stayed on by the convertor output only. Most of the stuff is designed to automatically come on once it is plugged in, my old Toyota camper charger was wired directly to the power cord not the breaker panel. I use a pair of group 24 batteries gives me 160 amps my AC power demands are minimal I watch a little TV and charge small batteries that have to have an adaptor my inverter is only 700 watts but the power draw is nowhere near that. Plug your camper in disconnect the battery and see if the lights still burn.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

SUN #8893
Thanks Mainah.

I have the B-W 3230UL. The lights do work when plugged into shore power, the 15 amp breaker is turned on and the battery is turned off. I hope that is a good sign.

This is all new to me. Still learning a lot. I had to look up a couple of the items Preston had listed to figure out what they were and used for. I am interested to see what he comes up with. There are a lot of creative people on here.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #9

SUN #2097
Ok I believe you have a switching supply that's a good thing now is there some way to turn it off via a breaker or a switch on the unit?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

SUN #8893
Turning off the 15 amp breaker kills power to the converter/charger. At that point, I would have to turn on the battery for lights. The battery is cut off using a cut-off switch that was installed when the battery was put in. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #11

SUN #2097
That's good, now you can use an inverter to power your outlets. Of course you will have to remember to turn it off when using the inverter left on it will try to charge the battery. The converter/charger more than likely will not charge your battery if the battery switch is off I don't believe there is bypass wiring maybe someone who has a battery switch can tell you or you can check it with a vote meter.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #12

SUN #8893
When the battery is turned off, the voltmeter that is on the USB Socket charger says 00.0. When plugged into shore power it reads 13.# and when on battery only it normally reads 12.# depending on what is turned on in the camper.

Preston - My apologies for jumping into your thread. I am still learning.

Thanks,
Tommie
Old 01-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #13

SUN #2097
You are making progress electricity in most cases can be written off as magic.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #14

SUN #9909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
When the battery is turned off, the voltmeter that is on the USB Socket charger says 00.0. When plugged into shore power it reads 13.# and when on battery only it normally reads 12.# depending on what is turned on in the camper.

Preston - My apologies for jumping into your thread. I am still learning.

Thanks,
Tommie
Aren't we all! I am still thinking and trying to figure it out. Sick of Pennsylvania cold!