Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with AC moisture

Hi all, I'm sitting in NJ in my T1850. I NEVER camped in this kind of humidity so I wonder if some of my problem is high humidity. Living and camping in Southern Colorado and Utah does not present these issues. thanks for help.

When I turn the AC on, low and mid-cool, I collect water on the roof, after about 20 minutes. I've been wiping the water off with a towel, but would love a response to what you might suspect. The last time I used the AC was in 2016, I was camping with hookups in Wyoming and saw no such issues.

Towing my rig back to the West next week.

Thanks, Kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Martin Reservoir, Colorado - 1.jpg (36.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Lincoln Trails, Illinois - 1.jpg (46.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Bark Camp, Ohio - 1.jpg (35.5 KB, 4 views)

Old 08-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #2

SUN #4081
Oh, and I forgot to mention...my refrigerator is sweating lots too. By that I mean, I've emptied the tray of water below the freezer twice in two weeks. The refrigerator faces the head of the midday and I don't have an awning, but recently bought a small pop up 4x6 from walmart to add shade.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Kit,

Welcome to the land of “wet heat”.

I’m joking for sure, but when I used to travel to Phoenix for work, they all told me the 110F in the shade was a dry heat...

Living in the land of the mid west and east coast, higher humidity is a reality of daily life. We do get days onf lower humidity and they are beautiful. But we can get up in the 80% humidity or higher at times with 80 to 95F and the combo can be brutal.

Your roof AC unit is doing what it was designed to do by dehumidifying the camper inside while cooling it too. There are drains on both sides of the AC unit on the roof for the water to run out onto the roof. And depending on how the camper is tipped/leveled it will run off that lower spot onto the ground. If yours has gutter rails, sometimes it will run off the end of the gutter. And sometimes it runs off and hit you in the heads...☹️ This is all normal for high humidity areas. Really no need to go up and mop it off unless you see something damaging about it. If so post a pic of the situation. AC condensation run off is the same as rain on the roof.

Your fridge sweat is from the same humidity. The newer fridges have a drain from the inside pan under the coil that collects the drips and they run outside. The older fridges like you are describing, yes you have to empty the pan manually. I don’t know a way out of that with a high humidity environment. All my camper fridges have the pan drain tube. Maybe one of our members with an older fridge has a few tricks they do to help the issues.

I will add, there is a dew point area I think around 72ish degrees area that when you get high humidity at the same time, it is a lot easier the freeze up the AC coil inside the camper when running the AC on low or medium. Running on high helps keep the frost formation lower. In do not recall the exact numbers of temp and humidity to cause it but, it is in that 72 ish and high humidity range.

Welcome to the mid west! Despite this humidity issue, we have a lot of beautiful areas and use to have really nice and predictable weather. The last 5 years or so the weather is all goofed up. All year too.

Safe travels back west

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #4

SUN #4081
Thanks so much John, yes, the gutters are draining from the unit as needed. And I'm glad to be affirmed about how humidity affects the AC ops.

And that daily, what we used to call "sun showers", have changed to torrential downpours
I have to admit I like how cool it feels, and often walk in the rain!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

SUN #4081
Will continue to monitor and manually drain refrigerator
too.